Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris How to update Solaris 10 Update 3 to Update 11? Post 303037589 by hicksd8 on Wednesday 7th of August 2019 05:02:34 AM
Old 08-07-2019
Firstly, the mirrors are created with SVM (Solaris Volume Manager) rather than by a hardware RAID controller. So why are you thinking of breaking the mirror? How is the machine usually backed up? I assume you use fssnap/ufsdump? If so, surely it would be easier to simply restore the snapshot(s) if the upgrade goes wrong without messing with the mirroring. Unless you have some other motive.
This User Gave Thanks to hicksd8 For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

How update Solaris ?

I have Solaris 10 01/06 version on my server, but i wanna update her from my DVD-Disc to 08/07. How i can do it ? I has try boot from disc, but don't find Upgrade function =( Please help me anyone! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jess_t03
1 Replies

2. Solaris

update openshh on solaris 10

Hi All, I've downloaded and extracted openssh4.1 on solaris 10. When I run the install-sh, it replied with "./install-sh: no input file specified". The file is executable and been move to owner root or the rest of the files. Why is that? Please help. Thanks in advance, itik (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: itik
4 Replies

3. Solaris

Update Solaris from 8 to 10

Hi all, i am facing a problem. i cant update the 8 to 10. It show me the error cannot mount the root, swap, and other filesystem. when i run # format in the normal situation, it give me the below result # format 0. c1t0d0 <SUN146G cyl 14087 alt 2 hd 24 sec 848> ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: SmartAntz
12 Replies

4. Solaris

Solaris Update 2 to 7

I need to get from Solaris 10 update 2 to update 7, whats the quickest way just apply kernel patch or live upgrade? If it is just kernel patching can i go straight from update 2 to 7 or do I have to apply each revision level patch i.e. go from update 2 to 3 to 4 etc... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr_crosby
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Install update 6 on solaris with update 3

I want to update my solaris 10 server which is currently on update 3 stage. A new application require it to be on update 6. What is the best way to make it update 6. should i just install the patch or should i go for the liveupgrade?? thanks for you help in advance (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: uxravi
3 Replies

6. Solaris

Is it possible to "upgrade" Sol10 update 9 to update 10?

Is it possible to "upgrade" Sol10 update 9 to update 10 by booting from the DVD? I had never even tried this until a user asked me to do it, so i tried and it just hung there after the part where it reads the rules.ok file. Is this even possible to upgrade? or does it have to be a new install. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
5 Replies

7. Programming

MYSQL - trigger update on record insert or update

Right I have a MYSQL database with table1 with 3 columns, colA, colB and colC. I want to combine the data in the 3 columns into a 4th column names col_comb. Here's the SQL command that works: UPDATE table1 SET `col_comb` = CONCAT( `colA` , ' - ', `colB` , ', ', `colC` ); So now I want this... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: barrydocks
5 Replies

8. Red Hat

RedHat 5 update 9 BASH update issue

Hi i want to update the BASH because of the "shell shock" vulnerability. my RedHat 5 is clean install with the default mirror site. when im running the command: yum update bash im getting a message saying there is no update. you can see in the attach picture... what am i doing wrong? is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: guy3145
4 Replies

9. Solaris

Solaris 11 to 11.1 update help

If anyone has any solid documents on updating Solaris 11.0 to 11.1 please share. I have been spinning my wheels for day now. I got past running the pre-update step. Rebooted the system and trying to continue with update to 11.1 using IPS repo and keeps failing with message that it can't reach... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: fly3rs
5 Replies
volume-config(4)						   File Formats 						  volume-config(4)

NAME
volume-config - Solaris Volume Manager volume configuration information for top down volume creation with metassist SYNOPSIS
/usr/share/lib/xml/dtd/volume-config.dtd DESCRIPTION
A volume configuration file, XML-based and compliant with the volume-config.dtd Document Type Definition, describes the detailed configura- tion of the volume or volumes to be created, including the names, sizes and configurations of all the components used in the volume or vol- umes. This configuration file can be automatically generated by running metassist with the -d option, or can be manually created. The volume configuration file can then be used to either generate a command file or to directly create volumes by running metassist and specifying the volume configuration file as input to the command. As a system administrator, you would want to change, manually create, or edit the volume configuration file only if there are small details of the configuration that you want to change. For example, you might want to change names for volumes or hot spare pools, mirror read option, or stripe interlace values. It would be possible to also select different devices or change slice sizes or make similar changes, but that is generally not recommended. Substantial changes to the volume-config file could result in a poor or non-functional configuration. With a volume-config file, you can run metassist and provide the file as input to the command to generate either a command file or to actu- ally set up the configuration. Defining Volume Configuration The top level element <volume-config> surrounds the volume configuration data. This element has no attributes. A volume configuration requires exactly one <diskset> element, which must be the first element of the volume configuration. Additionally, the volume-config can have zero or more of the following elements: <disk>, <slice>, <hsp>, <concat>, <stripe>, <mirror> as required to define the configuration of the volume to be created. Defining Disk Set Within the <volume-config> element, a <diskset> element must exist. The <diskset> element, with the name attribute, specifies the name of the diskset in which to create the volume or volumes. This element and attribute are required. If this named disk set does not exist, it is created upon implementation of this volume configuration. Defining Slice The volume configuration format provides for a <slice> element that defines the name of a slice to use as a component of a volume. The <slice> element requires a name attribute which specifies a full ctd name. If the <slice> is newly created as part of the volume configura- tion, the startsector and sizeinblocks attributes must be specified. If the slice was previously existing, these attributes need not be specified. Defining Hot Spare Pool The volume configuration format provides for a <hsp> element that defines the name of a hot spare pool to use as a component of a configu- ration. The <hsp> element requires a name attribute which specifies a hot spare pool name. Slices defined by <slice> elements contained in the <hsp> element are included in the hot spare pool when metassist creates it." Defining Stripe The <stripe> element defines stripes (interlaced RAID 0 volumes) to be used in a volume. The <stripe> element takes a required name attribute to specify a name conforming to Solaris Volume Manager naming requirements. If the name specifies an existing stripe, no <slice> elements are required. If the name specifies a new stripe, the <slice> elements to construct the slice must be specified within the <stripe> element. The <stripe> elements takes an optional interlace attribute as value and units (for example, 16KB, 5BLOCKS, 20MB). If this value isn't specified, the Solaris Volume Manager default value is used. Defining Concat The <concat> element defines concats (non-interlaced RAID 0 volumes) to be used in a configuration. It is the same as a <stripe> element, except that the interlace attribute is not valid. Defining Mirror The <mirror> element defines mirrors (RAID 1 volumes) to be used in a volume configuration. It can contain combinations of <concat> and <stripe> elements (to explicitly determine which volumes are used as submirrors). The <mirror> element takes a required name attribute to specify a name conforming to Solaris Volume Manager naming requirements. The <mirror> element takes an optional read attribute to define the mirror read options (ROUNDROBIN, GEOMETRIC, or FIRST) for the mirrors. If this attribute is not specified, the Solaris Volume Manager default value is used. The <mirror> element takes an optional write attribute to define the mirror write options (PARALLEL, SERIAL, or FIRST) for the mirrors. If this attribute is not specified, the Solaris Volume Manager default value is used. The <mirror> element takes an optional passnum attribute (0-9) to define the mirror passnum that defines the order in which mirrors are resynced at boot, if required. Smaller numbers are resynced first. If this attribute is not specified, the Solaris Volume Manager default value is used. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Specifying a Volume Configuration The following is an example volume configuration: <!-- Example configuration --> <volume-config> <!-- Specify the existing disk set to use --> <diskset name="redundant"/> <!-- Create slices --> <slice name="/dev/dsk/c0t0d1s7" startsector="1444464" sizeinblocks="205632BLOCKS"/> <slice name="/dev/dsk/c0t0d1s6" startsector="1239840" sizeinblocks="102816KB"/> <!-- Create a concat --> <concat name="d12"> <slice name="/dev/dsk/c0t0d0s7"/> <slice name="/dev/dsk/c0t0d0s6"/> <slice name="/dev/dsk/c0t0d1s7"/> <slice name="/dev/dsk/c0t0d1s6"/> <!-- Create (and use) a HSP --> hsp name="hsp0"> <slice name="/dev/dsk/c0t0d4s0"/> <slice name="/dev/dsk/c0t0d4s1"/> <slice name="/dev/dsk/c0t0d4s3"/> <slice name="/dev/dsk/c0t0d4s4"/> </hsp> </concat> <!-- Create a stripe --> <stripe name="d15" interlace="32KB"> <slice name="/dev/dsk/c0t0d0s7"/> <slice name="/dev/dsk/c0t0d1s7"/> <!-- Use a previously-defined HSP --> <hsp name="hsp0"/> </stripe> <!-- Create a mirror --> <mirror name="d10"> <!-- Submirror 1: An existing stripe --> <stripe name="d11"/> <!-- Submirror 2: The concat defined above --> <concat name="d12"/> <!-- Submirror 3: A stripe defined here --> <stripe name="d13"> <slice name="/dev/dsk/c0t0d2s6"/> <slice name="/dev/dsk/c0t0d2s7"/> <slice name="/dev/dsk/c0t0d3s6"/> slice name="/dev/dsk/c0t0d3s7"/> </stripe> </mirror> </volume-config> FILES
/usr/share/lib/xml/dtd/volume-config.dtd SEE ALSO
metassist(1M), metaclear(1M), metadb(1M), metadetach(1M), metahs(1M), metainit(1M), metaoffline(1M), metaonline(1M), metaparam(1M), metare- cover(1M), metareplace(1M), metaroot(1M), metaset(1M), metasync(1M), metattach(1M), mount_ufs(1M), mddb.cf(4) Solaris Volume Manager Administration Guide SunOS 5.10 8 Aug 2003 volume-config(4)