Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Converting .dat to UNIX
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions Converting .dat to UNIX Post 303037515 by hicksd8 on Saturday 3rd of August 2019 11:53:55 PM
Old 08-04-2019
What application created your .DAT file? Is it an ASCII file?

Did you transfer the file in a compatible mode? Binary or ASCII mode?

sftp older versions only support binary mode which is still the default on newer versions.

Perhaps you need to try the transfer in ASCII mode.

I suggest you check out/read about the different modes of transfer.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Back-up Commands For Hp-unix (hp Surestore Dat 24)

Can Anyone Be Any Assistance To Help A New User Get His Back-up Commands Defined Along With Other Useful Information On Viewing What's On Tapes And Restoring Data From The Tapes. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ricjoh
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read from a .dat file in Unix

Hi All, I have a .dat file named test.dat where I have stored some process IDs. Now I need to pick a process ID, one by one and then fire kill -9 for each of those. The logic should be: 1. open file <filename.dat> 2. read until last line of file 3. if process ID is found fire kill -9... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sibasish
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I delete a data string from a .dat file in unix

I have a .dat file in unix and it keeps failing file validation on line x. How do I delete a data string from a .dat file in UNIX? I tried the following: sed -e 'data string' -e file name and it telling me unrecognized command (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: supergirl3954
4 Replies

4. SCO

SCO UNIX DAT Tape Device

Looking for specifically naming convention for a tape device for SCO Unix What full system backup command should I use for SCO UNIX (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jedimaster
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to add spaces to test.dat file in unix??

Hi I have a test.dat file in UNIX which has a data.I am informatica developer i get data in those files.I need to add 50 spaces to those data in test.dat file.I am new to unix So can any one help how can i do that. I have some 2088 rows in that test.dat file. Can anyone help me please its... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: karingulanagara
11 Replies

6. UNIX and Linux Applications

Seismic Unix convert .dat to .su

Hello, is here anybody who know How I convert the .dat format files to .su format files in SeismicUnix. Is it possible? The dat-format files was generated when I run the forel's script, like model1.sh . Thanks a lot Vianney (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vianney
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove <CR><LF> from the dat file in unix

Hi, The source system has created the file in the dat format and put into the linux directory as mentioned below. I want to do foloowing things. a) Delete the Line started with <CR><LF> in the record b)Also line ...........................................................<CR><LF> ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mr_harish80
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Date format change in UNIX .dat file

Hi, I need help to convert the date format in .DAT file in unix. I want to convert 10@@|SWIFT MT568 Extract@@|Apr 14 2014 5:47:52:563PM@@|Apr 14 2014 4:33:47:663PM@@||##| into 10@@|SWIFT MT568 Extract@@|04/14/2014/ 5:47:52:563PM@@|04/14/2014 4:33:47:663PM@@||##| Appreciate... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthikengox
18 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Getting distinct record count from a .dat file using UNIX command

Hi, I have a .dat file with contents like the below: Input file ============SEQ NO-1: COLUMN1========== 9835619 7152815 ============SEQ NO-2: COLUMN2 ========== 7615348 7015548 9373086 ============SEQ NO-3: COLUMN3=========== 9373086 Expected Output: (I just... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: MS06
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use 'ls' command to list files like *.dat, not *.*.dat?

How to use 'ls' command to list files like *.dat, not *.*.dat (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pmcginni777
5 Replies
IEEE1284_NEGOTIATION(3) 					     Functions						   IEEE1284_NEGOTIATION(3)

NAME
ieee1284_negotiate, ieee1284_terminate - IEEE 1284 negotiation SYNOPSIS
#include <ieee1284.h> int ieee1284_negotiate(struct parport *port, int mode); void ieee1284_terminate(struct parport *port); DESCRIPTION
These functions are for negotiating to and terminating from IEEE 1284 data transfer modes. The default mode is called compatibility mode, or in other words normal printer protocol. It is a host-to-peripheral mode only. There are special modes that allow peripheral-to-host transfer as well, which may be negotiated to using ieee1284_negotiate. IEEE 1284 negotiation is a process by which the host requests a transfer mode and the peripheral accepts or rejects it. An IEEE 1284-compliant device will require a successful negotiation to a particular mode before it is used for data transfer (but simpler devices may not if they only speak one transfer mode). To terminate the special mode and go back to compatilibity mode use ieee1284_terminate. These functions act on the parallel port associated with port, which must be claimed. With a device strictly complying to IEEE 1284 you will need to call ieee1284_terminate in between any two calls to ieee1284_negotiate for modes other than M1284_COMPAT. AVAILABLE MODES
Uni-directional modes o M1284_COMPAT: Compatibility mode. Normal printer protocol. This is not a negotiated mode, but is the default mode in absence of negotiation. ieee1284_negotiate(port, M1284_COMPAT) is equivalent to ieee1284_terminate(port). This host-to-peripheral mode is used for sending data to printers, and is historically the mode that has been used for that before IEEE 1284. o M1284_NIBBLE: Nibble mode. This peripheral-to-host mode uses the status lines to read data from the peripheral four bits at a time. o M1284_BYTE: Byte mode. This peripheral-to-host mode uses the data lines in reverse mode to read data from the peripheral a byte at a time. Bi-directional modes o M1284_ECP: ECP mode. On entry to ECP mode it is a host-to-peripheral (i.e. forward) mode, but it may be set to reverse mode using ieee1284_ecp_fwd_to_rev(3). It is common for PC hardware to provide assistance with this mode by the use of a FIFO which the host (or, in reverse mode, the peripheral) may fill, so that the hardware can do the handshaking itself. o M1284_EPP: EPP mode. In this bi-directional mode the direction of data transfer is signalled at each byte. Mode variations o M1284_FLAG_DEVICEID: Device ID retrieval. This flag may be combined with a nibble, byte, or ECP mode to notify the device that it should send its IEEE 1284 Device ID when asked for data. o M1284_BECP: Bounded ECP is a modification to ECP that makes it more robust at the point that the direction is changed. (Unfortunately it is not yet implemented in the Linux kernel driver.) o M1284_ECPRLE: ECP with run length encoding. In this mode, consecutive data bytes of the same value may be transferred in only a few cycles. RETURN VALUE
E1284_OK The negotiation was successful. E1284_NOTAVAIL Negotiation is not available with this port type. E1284_REJECTED Negotiation was rejected by the peripheral. E1284_NEGFAILED Negotiation failed for some reason. Perhaps the device is not IEEE 1284 compliant. E1284_SYS A system error occured during negotiation. E1284_INVALIDPORT The port parameter is invalid (for instance, perhaps the port is not claimed). AUTHOR
Tim Waugh <twaugh@redhat.com> Author. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2001-2003 Tim Waugh 09/18/2007 IEEE1284_NEGOTIATION(3)