Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Customizing bash on AIX
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Customizing bash on AIX Post 303037197 by cokedude on Thursday 25th of July 2019 12:49:10 PM
Old 07-25-2019
Customizing bash on AIX

AIX is really different from most distros I am used to. I am trying to set up my .bashrc so I did this in the file. I noticed when I ssh into the server or use the bash command for a new shell it was being ignored.

Code:
#-------------------------------------------------------------
# Source global definitions (if any)
#-------------------------------------------------------------

if [ -f /etc/bashrc ]; then
      . /etc/bashrc   # --> Read /etc/bashrc, if present.
fi
# Set Vim as my default editor
export EDITOR=vim

export PATH=$PATH:/opt/nimsoft

echo "Loading /u/user/.bashrc..."

Then I added the first one to my .profile. Is the first one better or the second one better? I have seen both used. When I login with ssh .bashrc seems to be working. Is there a better way to do this? When I use the bash command for a new shell my .bashrc is being ignored. Can I get some recommendations on how to handle this?

Code:
if [ -s ~/.bashrc ]; then
    source ~/.bashrc;
fi

if [[ -f ~/.bashrc ]] ; then
	. ~/.bashrc
fi

After figuring this out I would like to push this out to all of our AIX servers. How would I do this without screwing up the ksh users? I prefer bash and ksh is the default shell.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

customizing xterm windows

Does anyone now how to customize an xterm window in solaris to dynamically 'pwd' in the banner. I know how to launch with xterm -n 'cwd' but it does not change when I change dir's. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: toddy44
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Customizing CDE background

i have a question about setting the background in a workspace in CDE. I have CDE runnning on Solaris 8 here at work and I want to use some images I have as the background in or two of the workspaces. When I use xv on the image and choose the option the option from the Display Menu -> Root:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Kanu77
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

customizing desktop

I need help editing my openwin file. I've got it all set up so the options I normally use (xman, cmdtools, xeyes, printtool) automatically come up when I log on, but it won't read my -geometry entries. I got them by right-clicking on the desktop, but apparently they need to be entered a certain... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdienlin
0 Replies

4. Red Hat

Customizing RHEL OS

Hello Every One, I am not sure if this is the correct forum to post this question. But please help me with your ideas. I have got a work (proj) where i need to customize the RHEL OS . This would involve building packages, installing them , correcting privileges etc and all these... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shirsha
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Customizing UNIX

Hello i'm just wondering how to customize the color of unix's (or SSH) background, cursor, and letter? Thank you for your time (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mgyeah
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Customizing from address in mailx command

Currently I am using mailx command for sending mails. But the mail is sent as from userid@servername by default. Is it possible to customise the from mail address in mailx command? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pandeesh
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

customizing default file permission

By default, the files are creates with this permissions:-rw-rw-r-- Is it possible to customize that in such away that ,always created as 777. Where i need to make changes? Please guide me. Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pandeesh
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Customizing ps command

Hi, I want to monitor our batch jobs at a specific interval for later analysis to see the performance and CPU utilization USER PID %CPU %MEM VSZ RSS TTY STAT START TIME COMMAND ps aux|grep dsadm|head xxxxx 386 0.0 0.0 103524 15448 pts/0 S Mar27 0:00... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ratheeshjulk
6 Replies

9. Red Hat

RHEL6 customizing prompt do not work

Hi, I'm trying to customize the ksh prompt for users on a RHEL 6.6 system for having user@host pwd : $ and user@host pwd # in red color for root. I think it's possible but i do not even succeded for a non root user : I added in my ~/.kshrc : PS1="Hello : " and it works but when i... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Fundix
4 Replies
RBASH(1)						      General Commands Manual							  RBASH(1)

NAME
rbash - restricted bash, see bash(1) RESTRICTED SHELL
If bash is started with the name rbash, or the -r option is supplied at invocation, the shell becomes restricted. A restricted shell is used to set up an environment more controlled than the standard shell. It behaves identically to bash with the exception that the follow- ing are disallowed or not performed: o changing directories with cd o setting or unsetting the values of SHELL, PATH, ENV, or BASH_ENV o specifying command names containing / o specifying a file name containing a / as an argument to the . builtin command o specifying a filename containing a slash as an argument to the -p option to the hash builtin command o importing function definitions from the shell environment at startup o parsing the value of SHELLOPTS from the shell environment at startup o redirecting output using the >, >|, <>, >&, &>, and >> redirection operators o using the exec builtin command to replace the shell with another command o adding or deleting builtin commands with the -f and -d options to the enable builtin command o using the enable builtin command to enable disabled shell builtins o specifying the -p option to the command builtin command o turning off restricted mode with set +r or set +o restricted. These restrictions are enforced after any startup files are read. When a command that is found to be a shell script is executed, rbash turns off any restrictions in the shell spawned to execute the script. SEE ALSO
bash(1) GNU Bash-4.0 2004 Apr 20 RBASH(1)