Sponsored Content
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? The Dark Years of UNIX (2003 - 2011) | A Decade Lost to Legal Battles | YouTube Video Post 303037125 by drl on Wednesday 24th of July 2019 08:30:08 AM
Old 07-24-2019
Hi, Neo.

Thanks for taking the time to improve it -- easier to read for me ... cheers, drl
This User Gave Thanks to drl For This Post:

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Cybersecurity

Unix attacks in the last 5 years.

Hi, Could anyone direct me to any sites that have any info on unix attcks or hacks in the last 5 years. This is needed for an assignment. All help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks:) (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: suzant
6 Replies

2. What is on Your Mind?

Cool YouTube Video: Here Comes Another Bubble - The Richter Scales!

You will like this :) fi4fzvQ6I-o (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Command to separate this years files and last years?

Hello - I have a folder that contains files from 2003 till 2010. I am trying to figure out a command that would seperate each years file and show me a count? Even if i can find a command that would give me year by year count, thats good enough too. Thanks (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: DallasT
8 Replies

4. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Microsoft Powerpoint 2003 stops working after 12 April 2011 Microsoft Updates

For the benefit of the community this is a widespread worldwide problem affecting multiple versions of Microsoft Windows. Powerpoint erroneously reports Powerpoint presentation damaged and then often hangs. Until Microsoft sort this out, try removing Powerpoint security update KB 2464588... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: methyl
0 Replies

5. OS X (Apple)

Video Contact Sheet on Lion from movies downloaded youtube MP4

Hi I am running Lion with latest patches > uname -a Darwin wger.local 11.2.0 Darwin Kernel Version 11.2.0: Tue Aug 9 20:54:00 PDT 2011; root:xnu-1699.24.8~1/RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64 Installed mplayer, ffmpeg, gnu-getopt and ImageMagick through brew. I am unable to generate Video Contact... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: slashdotweenie
0 Replies

6. What is on Your Mind?

Top 5 Roadblocks to a Secure Cyberspace in 2019 | YouTube Video

Here is a shout-out to wisecracker, who selected the sound track for this new video: Top 5 Roadblocks to a Secure Cyberspace in 2019 https://youtu.be/2rXo_ywM-NQ (7 Replies)
7 Replies

7. What is on Your Mind?

The Great History of UNIX (1969-1999) | 30 Years of UNIX History | YouTube Video

I am pleased to announce this new video in 1080 HD for UNIX lovers honoring thirty years of UNIX history spanning from 1969 to 1999 presented in 150 seconds (two and a half minutes) in 1080 HD, celebrating the 50th anniversary of UNIX. The Great History of UNIX (1969-1999) | 30 Years of UNIX... (8 Replies)
8 Replies

8. What is on Your Mind?

YouTube: Forum Moderation @UNIX.com | The UNIX and Linux Forums

Forum Moderation @UNIX.com | The UNIX and Linux Forums https://youtu.be/WGwgibE4Rq0 Also note: In the video I mentioned removing legacy menu items in the ModCP which are unused. I have already "CSS'ed out" the unused menu items: ... (0 Replies)
0 Replies
fs_async(5)							File Formats Manual						       fs_async(5)

NAME
fs_async - enables write calls to return before write operation is complete VALUES
Failsafe Default Allowed values The allowed values are: (use synchronous disk writes only), or (allow asynchronous disk writes). Specify a positive integer value, or DESCRIPTION
specifies whether or not asynchronous writing of file system data structures to disk is allowed. Synchronous writes to disk make it easier to restore file system integrity if a system crash occurs while file system data structures are being updated on the file system. If asynchronous writes are selected, HP-UX file system semantics for NFS cluster environments are preserved. In addition, files opened using with the flag (synchronous writing) will continue to be written synchronously when the asynchronous-writes feature has been config- ured into the kernel. Asynchronous writes to disk can improve file system performance significantly. However, asynchronous writes can leave file system data structures in an inconsistent state in the event of a system crash. For more information about when to select synchronous or asynchronous writing, see the following tutorial. Restrictions on Changing This tunable is static. Any changes to the value of this tunable will require system reboot before taking effect. Tutorial: What are Synchronous and Asynchronous Writes? If a file is open for writing and data is being written to a file, the data is accumulated in buffers and periodically written to disk. When an end-of-file condition occurs and the file is to be closed, any remaining buffer contents are written to the disk, the inode is updated with file size and block pointer information, and the file system's list of free disk blocks is updated. To ensure maximum protec- tion of file system integrity, these operations are handled in a specific sequence that minimizes the risk of file system corruption on the disk if a system crash or power failure occurs while writing to the disk. This sequential update process is called HP-UX file systems store free space lists, blocks, inodes, and other file components in random and widely separate locations on disk devices. This means that writing file information blocks in a particular sequence requires additional time to move to the desired location on the disk before performing the write operation. If a power failure or system crash occurs during this sequence, one or more blocks may not be properly updated, leaving a potentially inconsistent file system. The command is used to repair such inconsistencies. Asynchronous writing as it relates to the kernel parameter allows the system to update file system information on the disk in a more conve- nient (hence faster) sequence rather than in a more secure (safer but slower) sequence, thus reducing search and move delays between writes. However, if a system crash occurs while these operations are being performed, the risk of an inconsistent file system that cannot be automatically repaired by is significantly greater than with synchronous writes. If only synchronous writing is used, all updates to directories, file inodes, free space lists, and so on are handled in a sequence that is known to If a crash occurs while updating any disk block in the sequence, can readily determine where the crash occurred and repair the missing update information, probably without assis- tance from the system administrator. If is set to allow asynchronous writes and a crash occurs, does not know what sequence was used, and thus will probably require interactive assistance from the administrator while fixing inconsistent file system information, repairing directory and inode entries, and so on. Waiting for synchronous writing and updating of disk blocks when closing files after writing to them degrades the performance of programs and applications that require frequent file and directory write and close operations. Allowing asynchronous writing significantly reduces those delays, producing a corresponding improvement in performance. However, when applications are CPU intensive with relatively little disk I/O, performance improvements are much lower. Asynchronous writing is advisable for improving system performance if: o Risk of power failure is low (very dependable power source and/or uninterruptible power sources). o Precautions have been taken to enhance data security (sophisticated file system backup or redundancy strategies), or potential loss of data due to a system crash is less important than system performance. o User applications require frequent opening, writing, and closing of disk files and directories. o Elimination of synchronous writing would improve system performance sufficiently to offset any associated risks. To enable asynchronous writing, set the kernel parameter to instead of the default value of WARNINGS
All HP-UX kernel tunable parameters are release specific. This parameter may be removed or have its meaning changed in future releases of HP-UX. Installation of optional kernel software, from HP or other vendors, may cause changes to tunable parameter values. After installation, some tunable parameters may no longer be at the default or recommended values. For information about the effects of installation on tun- able values, consult the documentation for the kernel software being installed. For information about optional kernel software that was factory installed on your system, see at AUTHOR
was developed by HP. SEE ALSO
fsck(1M), kctune(1M), sam(1M), gettune(2), open(2), settune(2). Tunable Kernel Parameters fs_async(5)