Sponsored Content
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Business origins - MalWareBytes - interesting read Post 303037124 by Neo on Wednesday 24th of July 2019 08:28:00 AM
Old 07-24-2019
If Microsoft did not create such insecure software, anti-virus companies like MalwareBytes would not be in business.

It's an industry many of us in my circle of cybersecurity experts refer to as a "self-licking ice-cream cone" because all these companies just feed off the insecurity of the Window's (for the most part) operating system.

It's really a social and economic tragedy when you stop to think about it.

I just finished a GREAT book called "Lost in Math - How Beauty Leads Physics Astray" by Sabine Hossenfelder. In her transformational book, she describes the various biases, including cognitive bias" to which "following the herd" is a subset.

Computer security is so full of cognitive bias that if you really understood the industry, your stomach would turn, realizing how much corporate greed is the root cause of most of the IT insecurity we face in society.

There is yet no "antivirus software" for human greed and ignorance.

IMNSHO, everyone should read (or listen to), Sabine Hossenfelder's book, "Lost in Math".

3 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Some interesting questions

Hello All, I have some questions; 1) process1 | process2, A)now if I kill process2 what happens to process1? B) if I kill process1 what happens to process2? 2) Why kill -9 is a strong kill? If possible I would like to know what happens internally. 3) What a pipe actually do, in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: willhunter
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

interesting problem

Hi, I am new in this forum and I am glad to be a part of it. I have a problem that has two parts: 1/ extract just the timestamp from a filename: for example, I have a file called 'sales20080226144525.txt' and I want to extract just the '20080226144525' part out of it. 2/ Now, take that... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ChicagoBlues
5 Replies

3. Red Hat

Cron entry for every 10 mints on business day business hour

Could you “crontab” it to run every 10 minutes on work days (Mo - Fr) between 08:00 and 18:00 i know to run every 10 mints but can any one guide me how to achieve the above one (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: venikathir
2 Replies
Math::BigInt::FastCalc(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			       Math::BigInt::FastCalc(3pm)

NAME
Math::BigInt::FastCalc - Math::BigInt::Calc with some XS for more speed SYNOPSIS
Provides support for big integer calculations. Not intended to be used by other modules. Other modules which sport the same functions can also be used to support Math::BigInt, like Math::BigInt::GMP or Math::BigInt::Pari. DESCRIPTION
In order to allow for multiple big integer libraries, Math::BigInt was rewritten to use library modules for core math routines. Any module which follows the same API as this can be used instead by using the following: use Math::BigInt lib => 'libname'; 'libname' is either the long name ('Math::BigInt::Pari'), or only the short version like 'Pari'. To use this library: use Math::BigInt lib => 'FastCalc'; Note that from Math::BigInt v1.76 onwards, FastCalc will be loaded automatically, if possible. STORAGE
FastCalc works exactly like Calc, in stores the numbers in decimal form, chopped into parts. METHODS
The following functions are now implemented in FastCalc.xs: _is_odd _is_even _is_one _is_zero _is_two _is_ten _zero _one _two _ten _acmp _len _num _inc _dec __strip_zeros _copy LICENSE
This program is free software; you may redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. AUTHORS
Original math code by Mark Biggar, rewritten by Tels <http://bloodgate.com/> in late 2000. Seperated from BigInt and shaped API with the help of John Peacock. Fixed, sped-up and enhanced by Tels http://bloodgate.com 2001-2003. Further streamlining (api_version 1 etc.) by Tels 2004-2007. SEE ALSO
Math::BigInt, Math::BigFloat, Math::BigInt::GMP, Math::BigInt::FastCalc and Math::BigInt::Pari. perl v5.12.1 2010-04-26 Math::BigInt::FastCalc(3pm)