Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Shopt -s histappend
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Shopt -s histappend Post 303037091 by apmcd47 on Tuesday 23rd of July 2019 06:30:56 AM
Old 07-23-2019
So adding
Code:
shopt -s histappend
PROMPT_COMMAND='history -a'

in your .bashrc will mimic the behaviour of ksh in that it writes all commands to its history file as (after?) it executes them.

Presumably the correct order of history -a and history -n would allow two or more shells to share their history, exactly like ksh (my least favourite feature of ksh)

Andrew

2 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

shopt -s nullglob

Hi, I am using BASH. In a directory there are files that match either of the following 2 patterns: *.L1A_AC* or S*.L1A_MLAC* I would like to write a script that will include a for loop, where for each file in the directory, a certain function will be performed. For example: for FILE in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: msb65
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash 'shopt' doubt

Hi, I am using bash shell's extended pattern matching. What tweak the following code needs in order to get the expected output? shopt -s extglob f="a@b@_c@d@_e" echo "${f/@(@|@_)/__}" My expected output is: a__b__c__d__e but the actual output is: a__b@_c@d@_e # that is, how to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
3 Replies