Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Convert a fixed width file to a delimited file Post 303037088 by nezabudka on Tuesday 23rd of July 2019 05:28:53 AM
Old 07-23-2019
I think I understood
Maybe so with a separator for example a dot
Code:
echo $(<file.txt) | sed 's/\.\+/&\n/g'

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting a Delimited File to Fixed width file

Hi, I have a delimited file generated by a database and i need to convert it to fixed width file using the field length of the database. Can any body suggest me how can i proceed with it? :confused: Thanks Raghavan (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghavan.aero
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to convert Fixed length file to delimited file.

I have below fixed lenth file . I have to convert this to delimitted file. File1.txtE116005/29/19930E001E000 E12201/23/19940E001E003 E10406/4/19940E001E003 I want to convert this to : E116,0,05/29/1993,0,E001,E000 E122,0,1/23/1994,0,E001,E003 E104,0,6/4/1994,0,E001,E003 I have a... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: satyam_sat
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Convert a tab delimited/variable length file to fixed length file

Hi, all. I need to convert a file tab delimited/variable length file in AIX to a fixed lenght file delimited by spaces. This is the input file: 10200002<tab>US$ COM<tab>16/12/2008<tab>2,3775<tab>2,3783 19300978<tab>EURO<tab>16/12/2008<tab>3,28523<tab>3,28657 And this is the expected... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Everton_Silveir
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Changing one column of delimited file column to fixed width column

Hi, Iam new to unix. I have one input file . Input file : ID1~Name1~Place1 ID2~Name2~Place2 ID3~Name3~Place3 I need output such that only first column should change to fixed width column of 15 characters of length. Output File: ID1<<12 spaces>>Name1~Place1 ID2<<12... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: manneni prakash
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cleaning up spaces from fixed width file while converting to csv file

Open to a sed/awk/or perl alternative so that i can stick command into my bash script. This is a problem I resolve using a combination of cut commands - but that is getting convoluted. So would really appreciate it if someone could provide a better solution which basically replaces all... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: svn
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delete header row and reformat from tab delimited to fixed width

Hello gurus, I have a file in a tab delimited format and a header row. I need a code to delete the header in the file, and convert the file to a fixed width format, with all the columns aligned. Below is a sample of the file:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chumsky
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

convert # delimited text file to fixed width

Hello gurus, I have a file containing 5 columns delimited by '#' as shown in the example below: HRP1000-PLVAR#HRP1000-OTYPE#HRP1000-OBJID#HRP1000-BEGDA#HRP1000-ENDDA# 99991231#AU7129#000000000#1 PROCTER & GAMBLE# 99991231#TT4283#1000013883#21111 LAUNDRY# 99991231#TT4283#1000013884#21121 DISH... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chumsky
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to convert a space delimited file into a pipe delimited file using shellscript?

Hi All, I have space delimited file similar to the one as shown below.. I need to convert it as a pipe delimited, the values inside the pipe delimited file should be as highlighted... AA ATIU2345098809 009697 005374 BB ATIU2345097809 005445 006518 CC ATIU9685098809 003215 003571 DD... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nithins007
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove new line character and add space to convert into fixed width file

I have a file with different record length. The file as to be converted into fixed length by appending spaces at the end of record. The length should be calculated based on the record with maximum length in the file. If the length is less than the max length, the spaces should be appended... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amrutha24
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Length of a fixed width file

I have a fixed width file of length 53. when is try to get the lengh of the record of that file i get 2 different answers. awk '{print length;exit}' <File_name> The above code gives me length 50. wc -L <File_name> The above code gives me length 53. Please clarify on... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amrutha24
2 Replies
CW(7)							 Miscellaneous Information Manual						     CW(7)

NAME
CW - the international Morse code DESCRIPTION
CW is an abbreviation for "continuous wave", the commonly used technical term for Morse code communication. A basic knowledge or under- standing of Morse code is a requirement for Radio Amateurs and Marine Radio Operators in many parts of the world. MORSE CODE TIMINGS In Morse code, a dot or dash is referred to as an element. The basic timing unit is the dot period. This is the time taken to send a dot, not including any space before or after the dot. The lengths of all other elements are then derived from this basic unit, using the fol- lowing rules: The duration of a dash is three dots. The time between each element (dot or dash) is one dot length. The space between characters is three dot lengths. The space between words is seven dot lengths. The following formula calculates the dot period in microseconds from the Morse code speed in words per minute: dot period = ( 1200000 / speed ) This formula arises from the use of the word PARIS as a 'standard' word for calibrating Morse code speed. PARIS is 50 units long when sent in Morse code. Analysis of English plain-text indicates that the average word is 50 units, including spaces. MORSE CODE CHARACTERS The following list shows the IS0 8859-1 (Latin-1) characters that have commonly understood representations in Morse code: ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ0123456789"$()+-./:;=?_@ and space In addition, following ISO 8859-1 and ISO 8859-2 accented characters are also part of the generally accepted international Morse code: UACOEEANS (S with cedilla), (Z with caron/hacek), Finally, libcw adds the following ASCII characters as extensions to single character procedural signals: <>!&^~ MORSE CODE CHARACTER TABLES The following table shows the Morse code equivalents for the ISO 8859-1, accented ISO 8859-1, and accented ISO 8859-2 characters above. The ASCII portion of this table is taken from the ARRL Handbook, and the accented extensions from various other sources: Ch Code Ch Code Ch Code Ch Code ------------------------------------------------------- A .- B -... C -.-. D -.. E . F ..-. G --. H .... I .. J .--- K -.- L .-.. M -- N -. O --- P .--. Q --.- R .-. S ... T - U ..- V ...- W .-- X -..- Y -.-- Z --.. 0 ----- 1 .---- 2 ..--- 3 ...-- 4 ....- 5 ..... 6 -.... 7 --... 8 ---.. 9 ----. " .-..-. ' .----. $ ...-..- ( -.--. ) -.--.- + .-.-. , --..-- - -....- . .-.-.- / -..-. : ---... ; -.-.-. = -...- ? ..--.. _ ..--.- Ch Code Ch Code ------------------------------------------------- U ..-- A .-.- C -.-.. O ---. E ..-.. A .-..- A .--.- N --.-- S (S+cedilla) ---- (Z+caron/hacek) --..- In addition to the above standard characters, the following characters are conventionally used for punctuation and procedural signals as follows: Ch Code Ch Code Ch Code Ch Code ------------------------------------------------------- " .-..-. ' .----. $ ...-..- ( -.--. ) -.--.- + .-.-. , --..-- - -....- . .-.-.- / -..-. : ---... ; -.-.-. = -...- ? ..--.. _ ..--.- @ .--.-. and the following are non-conventional extensions implemented by libcw: Ch Code Ch Code Ch Code Ch Code ----------------------------------------------------- < ...-.- > -...-.- ! ...-. & .-... ^ -.-.- ~ .-.-.. An alternative view of punctuation and procedural signals is as combination Morse characters: Ch Prosig Ch Prosig Ch Prosig Ch Prosig --------------------------------------------------------- " [AF] ' [WG] $ [SX] ( [KN] ) [KK] + [AR] , [MIM] - [DU] . [AAA] / [DN] : [OS] ; [KR] = [BT] ? [IMI] _ [IQ] @ [AC] < [VA],[SK] > [BK] ! [SN] & [AS] ^ [KA] ~ [AL] NOTES
Despite the fact that this manual page constantly and consistently refers to Morse code elements as dots and dashes, DO NOT think in these terms when trying to learn Morse code. Always think of them as 'dit's and 'dah's. SEE ALSO
Man pages for libcw(3,LOCAL), cw(1,LOCAL), cwgen(1,LOCAL), cwcp(1,LOCAL), and xcwcp(1,LOCAL). CW Tutor Package CW(7)