Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Strange behavior from kill command Post 303037019 by cokedude on Sunday 21st of July 2019 12:41:33 AM
Old 07-21-2019
Strange behavior from kill command

I am getting some strange behaviour from the kill command. When I run the which command it says it points to /usr/bin/kill. When I look at my PATH I have /usr/bin in it. So why does running kill or /usr/bin/kill produce different outputs?

Code:
ghost ~
$ which kill
/usr/bin/kill

ghost ~
$ kill
kill: usage: kill [-s sigspec | -n signum | -sigspec] pid | jobspec ... or kill -l [sigspec]

ghost ~
$ /usr/bin/kill
Usage: kill [-f] [-signal] [-s signal] pid1 [pid2 ...]
       kill -l [signal]

Send signals to processes

-f, --force     force, using win32 interface if necessary
 -l, --list      print a list of signal names
 -s, --signal    send signal (use kill --list for a list)
 -h, --help      output usage information and exit
 -V, --version   output version information and exit

Last edited by rbatte1; 07-23-2019 at 07:38 AM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

strange sed behavior

I have a file called products.kp which contains, for example, 12345678,1^M 87654321,2^M 13579123,3 when I run the command cat products.kp| sed -f kp.sed where kp.sed contains s,^M,, I get the output 12345678,1 87654321,2 13579123,3 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kevin Pryke
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

nawk strange behavior

Dear guys; when deleting repeated lines using nawk as below ; Why the below syntax works? nawk ' !a++' infile > outfile and when using the other below syntax the nawk doesn't work? nawk ' { !a++ } ' infile > outfile or nawk ' { !a++ } ' infile > outfile BR (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahmad.diab
4 Replies

3. Programming

Strange behavior in C++

I have the following program: int main(int argc, char** argv){ unsigned long int mean=0; for(int i=1;i<10;i++){ mean+=poisson(12); cout<<mean<<endl; } cout<<"Sum of poisson: "<< mean; return 0; } when I run it, I get the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: santiagorf
4 Replies

4. Ubuntu

Ubuntu strange behavior

It is so till login screen. I mean that when I boot my computer, Ubuntu shows a splash screen with mouse instead of Ubuntu logo and in the login screen it shows XUbuntu login screen... It began when I upgraded to previous kernel, I suppose, but I'm not sure... I can't say that it annoys me very... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sapfeer
6 Replies

5. Red Hat

strange mail behavior

Hi I have script to to take backup and send mail to a group once a day. One strange behavior I have observed recently is that most of the time the mail we receive is fine . But someday it just sends out mail without any subject with undisclosed recipients. I dont know how to find the cause... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ningy
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strange behavior on one of my server

I am not sure what is wrong, but I have some strange behavior when printing things out. I do create a file with only one word test, no space, no new line etc. nano file<enter> test<ctrl x>y<enter> Server 1 gets (fail) awk '{print "+"$0"*"}' file *test Server 2 gets (OK) awk '{print... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jotne
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strange behavior of grep

Hi All, I am facing a strange problem while grepping for a process. Here is the small script that i have written. It will look for any process running with the parameter passed to the script. If no process is running it should print appropriate message. $ cat t.ksh #!/bin/ksh set -x ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: veeresh_15
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strange behavior of find and rm command

Hi I run the below command to find and delete *.xml files 90 or more days old. find . -type f -name '*.xml' -mtime +90 -exec rm {} \; find: stat() error ./Hello/2014_EMPTY.xml: No such file or directory ./Hello/2014_EMPTY_8011.xml: No such file or directory ..... .... If the file... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strange Ctrl+C behavior

Hello All, I have a strange issue. I've created a shell script which connects to RMAN (Oracle Recovery Manager) and executes full DB backup. I then executed this script with nohup and in the background: $ nohup my_script.sh > logfile.log 2>&1 &The issue is that when I tried to take a look into... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: JackK
6 Replies
KILL(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   KILL(1)

NAME
kill -- terminate or signal a process SYNOPSIS
kill [-s signal_name] pid ... kill -l [exit_status] kill -signal_name pid ... kill -signal_number pid ... DESCRIPTION
The kill utility sends a signal to the process(es) specified by the pid operand(s). Only the super-user may send signals to other users' processes. The options are as follows: -s signal_name A symbolic signal name specifying the signal to be sent instead of the default TERM. -l [exit_status] Display the name of the signal corresponding to exit_status. exit_status may be the exit status of a command killed by a signal (see the special sh(1) parameter '?') or a signal number. If no operand is given, display the names of all the signals. -signal_name A symbolic signal name specifying the signal to be sent instead of the default TERM. -signal_number A non-negative decimal integer, specifying the signal to be sent instead of the default TERM. The following pids have special meanings: -1 If superuser, broadcast the signal to all processes; otherwise broadcast to all processes belonging to the user. 0 Broadcast the signal to all processes in the current process group belonging to the user. Some of the more commonly used signals: 1 HUP (hang up) 2 INT (interrupt) 3 QUIT (quit) 6 ABRT (abort) 9 KILL (non-catchable, non-ignorable kill) 14 ALRM (alarm clock) 15 TERM (software termination signal) kill is a built-in to csh(1); it allows job specifiers of the form ``%...'' as arguments so process id's are not as often used as kill argu- ments. See csh(1) for details. SEE ALSO
csh(1), pgrep(1), pkill(1), ps(1), kill(2), sigaction(2), signal(7) STANDARDS
The kill function is expected to be IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2'') compatible. HISTORY
A kill command appeared in Version 6 AT&T UNIX. BSD
April 28, 1995 BSD