Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Is it safe to install x86 Solaris 10 U6 after installed-Linux-and-FreeBSD? Post 303036939 by Neo on Thursday 18th of July 2019 07:32:01 AM
Old 07-18-2019
You should install on an entirely different main partition.

Please post your entire fdisk list of your partition table.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help.. i just installed freebsd

okey.. i was looking to run a mud.. Multi user Dungeon of my server.. i am not sure how to add users.. could someone please help me? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Swifty
1 Replies

2. Solaris

How to install Solaris 9 on X86

HI All, I have three solaris disks: disk 1 & 2 and "image" disk. However, no instructions for installation on x86 came with them. (I downloaded from SUN.) I've searched far and wide on the net trying to find instructions for installing Solaris on my PII 500 mhz intel machine, but have... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: JaredsNew
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Clustering solution for RH Linux AS and Solaris x86/AMD 64

Dear All Experts, Would like to know the maturity/ stability of Redhat Linux AS 3.0 and Solaris. My organization need to setup cluster solution. We are well-versed with Veritas Cluster on Solaris. We are thinking of waiting for certification support of the various ISV like Oracle, Veritas... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: izy100
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Install drivers Solaris 10 x86

I am trying to figure out a way to install drivers for a network card. I have a 3C905C-TXM 3Com card that appeared to check out on Solaris's Web Site. I found what I thought was a driver, although that may not be the case, because the instructions asked me to copy-and-paste the contents into a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jody
1 Replies

5. Solaris

just installed Solaris 10 x86

Hi, I've just installed solaris 10 on one of my old PC's (a 1ghz 256M PC). I think the installation worked ok but when I reboot it I can only login via the command line console and not the nice CDE interface. Has anyone seen this before? Its probable something simple I'm doing wrong. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: fishman2001
4 Replies

6. Solaris

Problem after Install SUN solaris x86

after install solaris x86 on my computer success, but it can't boot. When the machine start, and i choose option 1 - default, it shows "W" on screen and system restart . Anyone can help me. My computer : dual core - 1gb ram - x86 (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: quan0509
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can I install Solaris 10 x86 on a machine without a DVD drive?

How can I install Solaris 10 x86 on a machine without a DVD drive? Is there a way to boot from a flash stick or install it through a network? Any help will be appreciated. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Bradj47
1 Replies

8. Solaris

Apache Install error on Solaris 10 x86

I am trying to install apache on a sun server (Solaris 10 x86) but when I execute the compile i have the following error; configure failed for srclib/apr Can anybody help with this. Thanks for the usual help oh-daa (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: oh-daa
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Solaris Live Media x86 Install

Unix Buddies Burned download to DVD-R. Booted it. It dropped me at a command line. Is it working properly? Thanks! (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Solaris User
7 Replies
dkio(4) 						     Kernel Interfaces Manual							   dkio(4)

Name
       dkio - disk interface

Syntax
       #include <sys/fs.h>
       #include <sys/ioctl.h>

Description
       This  section  describes  the ioctl (input/output controller) codes for all disk drivers.  The basic ioctl (input/output controller) format
       is:

#include <sys/fs.h>
       #include <sys/ioctl.h>
       ioctl(fildes, code, arg)
       struct pt *arg;

The applicable codes are:

DIOCGETPT       Indicates to the driver to store the information in the current partition table in the address pointed to by arg.  The file
		       descriptor must be opened on the raw partitions, a or c.

DIOCGETPT does not change the partition table, but it does provide access to the partition table information.

DIOCSETPT       Indicates to the driver to modify the current partition table with the information pointed to by arg.

The file descriptor must be opened on the raw partitions, a or c.

If  the a or c partition is not mounted, only the partition table in the driver is modified.  This temporarily modifies the
		       partition table of the disk.  The modifications are overwritten with the default table when the disk is turned off and on.

If the a or c partition is mounted, both the partition table  in  the  driver  and  the	partition  table  in  the  primary
		       superblock are modified.  This permanently modifies the partition table of the disk.  This is not recommended.  To change a
		       partition table permanently, use the command.

DIOCDGTPT       Indicates to the driver to store the default information of the current partition table in the address pointed to  by  arg.
		       The file descriptor must be opened on the raw partitions a or c.

DIOCGETPT does not change the partition table, but it does provide access to the partition table information.

DKIOCGET        Allows the user to receive generic disk information as defined in structdevget.

DKIOCACC        This code is defined in It is currently unused.

Restrictions
       These restrictions apply when using the DIOCSETPT ioctl code:

o   You must have superuser privileges.

o   You	cannot	shrink	or change the offset of a partition with a file system mounted on it or with an open file descriptor on the entire
	   partition.

o   You cannot change the offset of the a partition.

Examples
       This example shows how to use the DIOGETPT ioctl code to print the length and offset of the a partition of an RZ23 disk:
       #include <sys/types.h>
       #include <sys/param.h>
       #include <sys/fs.h>
       #include <sys/ioctl.h>

main()
       {
	    struct pt arg;
	    int fd, i;

/* Open the "a" partition of the disk you want to see */

if ( (fd = open("/dev/rz0a",0)) < 0 ) {
		 printf("Unable to open device
");
		 exit(2);
	    }

/* Get the partition information */

if ( ioctl(fd,DIOCGETPT,&arg) < 0 )
		 printf("Error in ioctl
");

printf("Length		Offset
");

for ( i = 0; i <= 7; i++ ) {
		 printf("%d		%d
",arg.pt_part[i].pi_nblocks,
			     arg.pt_part[i].pi_blkoff );
	    }
       }

Files
See Also
       rz(4), disktab(5), fstab(5), chpt(8), diskpart(8), fsck(8), MAKEDEV(8), mkfs(8), tunefs(8)

RISC								   dkio(4)