Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Iterate through a list - checking for a duplicate then report it ot Post 303036916 by rbatte1 on Wednesday 17th of July 2019 05:54:57 AM
Old 07-17-2019
Hello worky,

I don't want to bombard you with too many things, but I have a few to questions pose in response first:-
  • Is this homework/assignment? There are specific forums for these.
  • What have you tried so far?
  • What output/errors do you get?
  • What OS and version are you using?
  • What are your preferred tools? (C, shell, perl, awk, etc.)
  • What logical process have you considered? (to help steer us to follow what you are trying to achieve)
Most importantly, What have you tried so far?

There are probably many ways to achieve most tasks, so giving us an idea of your style and thoughts will help us guide you to an answer most suitable to you so you can adjust it to suit your needs in future.

We're all here to learn and getting the relevant information will help us all.

Thanks, in advance,
Robin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Report of duplicate files based on part of the filename

I have the files logged in the file system with names in the format of : filename_ordernumber_date_time eg: file_1_12012007_1101.txt file_2_12022007_1101.txt file_1_12032007_1101.txt I need to find out all the files that are logged multiple times with same order number. In the above eg, I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sudheshnaiyer
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Duplicate Line Report per Section

I've been working on a script (/bin/sh) in which I have requested and received help here (in which I am very grateful for!). The client has modified their requirements (a tad), so without messing up the script to much, I come once again for assistance. Here are the file.dat contents: ABC1... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: petersf
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

iterate through list of numbers and print specific lines with awk

Could someone please point me in the right direction with the following? I have a program that generates logs that contains sections like this: IMAGE INPUT 81 0 0.995 2449470 0 1726 368 1 0.0635 0.3291 82 0 1.001 2448013 0 1666 365 1 0.0649 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: euval
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

report duplicate

Hi i have a file with one column and want to report the value that has duplicate like rag rag hi hi hi 123 456 output should be rag hi thank you (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: thonlun
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to loop(Iterate) through List with foreach(csh)

Hey all,, I know cshell is harmful:) but I am using this just "to know" - for educational purposes!... not for a long-term use. lets say i have a list.. set arr=(x y z e f) I wanna iterate the list with foreach ,, not with while.!! foreach i $arr echo $i end does not work (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: eawedat
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

checking duplicate entry in file

Hi i have a file like 110.10 120.10 -1120 110.10 and the lines are having more than 10k. do we have anycommand to check the duplicate entries in the file. I applied the while loop by greping each line with whole file, but it is taking huge amount of time as the file size is large. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: saluja.deepak
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Nested for loops for checking duplicate files

I am very new to bash scripting and this is my first script. I am trying to write a script that takes an argument d as the directory. It looks through the files to find duplicates and delete them. Here's some sorta-pseudocode but am unsure how to implement it: #! /bin/bash #get... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shubham92
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking for duplicate code

I have a short line of code that checks very rudimentary for duplicate code: sort myfile.cpp | uniq -c | grep -v "^.*1 " | grep -v "}" It sorts the file, counts occurrences of each line, removes single occurrences and removes the ubiquitous closing brace. The language is C++, but is easily... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Iterate/Loop Through XML Node List

I need to load an XML file and loop through a list of nodes in it to execute a shell script for each one using the attributes for each node as parameters for the script. Any ideas? Any help will be much appreciated. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bradlecat
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

REMOVE DUPLICATE IN a ROW AFTER CHECKING THE FIRST SIMILAR NAME

Hi all I have a big file like this in rows and columns from 2 column onwards the next column is desciption of previous column means 3rd columns is description of 2 columns and 5 column is description of 4 column. All cloumns are separated by comma ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manigrover
1 Replies
lib(3pm)						 Perl Programmers Reference Guide						  lib(3pm)

NAME
lib - manipulate @INC at compile time SYNOPSIS
use lib LIST; no lib LIST; DESCRIPTION
This is a small simple module which simplifies the manipulation of @INC at compile time. It is typically used to add extra directories to perl's search path so that later "use" or "require" statements will find modules which are not located on perl's default search path. Adding directories to @INC The parameters to "use lib" are added to the start of the perl search path. Saying use lib LIST; is almost the same as saying BEGIN { unshift(@INC, LIST) } For each directory in LIST (called $dir here) the lib module also checks to see if a directory called $dir/$archname/auto exists. If so the $dir/$archname directory is assumed to be a corresponding architecture specific directory and is added to @INC in front of $dir. To avoid memory leaks, all trailing duplicate entries in @INC are removed. Deleting directories from @INC You should normally only add directories to @INC. If you need to delete directories from @INC take care to only delete those which you added yourself or which you are certain are not needed by other modules in your script. Other modules may have added directories which they need for correct operation. The "no lib" statement deletes all instances of each named directory from @INC. For each directory in LIST (called $dir here) the lib module also checks to see if a directory called $dir/$archname/auto exists. If so the $dir/$archname directory is assumed to be a corresponding architecture specific directory and is also deleted from @INC. Restoring original @INC When the lib module is first loaded it records the current value of @INC in an array @lib::ORIG_INC. To restore @INC to that value you can say @INC = @lib::ORIG_INC; CAVEATS
In order to keep lib.pm small and simple, it only works with Unix filepaths. This doesn't mean it only works on Unix, but non-Unix users must first translate their file paths to Unix conventions. # VMS users wanting to put [.stuff.moo] into # their @INC would write use lib 'stuff/moo'; NOTES
In the future, this module will likely use File::Spec for determining paths, as it does now for Mac OS (where Unix-style or Mac-style paths work, and Unix-style paths are converted properly to Mac-style paths before being added to @INC). SEE ALSO
FindBin - optional module which deals with paths relative to the source file. AUTHOR
Tim Bunce, 2nd June 1995. perl v5.8.0 2002-06-01 lib(3pm)