Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Cd \bad-directory ; source junk.1 logs me off! Post 303036654 by homerwsmith on Saturday 6th of July 2019 04:40:54 PM
Old 07-06-2019
Cd \bad-directory ; source junk.1 logs me off!

Dear Gentle Folk,

I thought I knew unix/bash etc.

The compound statement

USING TCSH!

Code:
cd /lkjsdf ; source junk.1

completes and then logs me off IF the cd directory does not exist. It works fine if the
directory does exist. Why is this and how do I fix it.

It doesn't matter what is in junk.1, nothing will do.

Code:
cat junk.1
echo hello

cd /root ; source junk.1
hello

cd \xoot; source junk.1
/xoot: no such file or directory
hello
Connection to vm2 closed.

Thanks in advance
Homer W. Smith

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to write logs to a specified Directory??

I have the following script which writes the output of the scirpt in a log file in the same directory from which the script is run. I need the scipt to write the logs daily to a differnt directory with the date appended to the log on a daily basis. The script is as follows... .... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nirmal84
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl - bad interpreter: No such file or directory

Here is a puzzler. To start, let me say that I've done a search on this issue and it is definitely not related to line endings being encoded in windows returns. I get this error when I run SOME perl scripts. I have a script called hello_world.pl. I do $cp hello_world.pl new_hello_world.pl... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mjmtaiwan
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Source all files in a directory

Hi everyone, Is there an efficient way to source all of the files contained in a directory? Theoretically I could create a FOR loop and successively source each file, but I just wanted to check if there was a cleaner method. Thanks! Mike (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: msb65
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Zipping the logs of directory

Hi Folks, I have logs at the following location cd /out/app/logs/ now that logs directory contain different types of logs now sometimes i need to do disk clean up activity so i need to zipped the logs can you please advise any command by which all the logs created in this directory are... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: punpun66
2 Replies

5. AIX

Source IP not in my ftpd debug logs

I have random connections coming into my FTP server, but the source IP is not showing up in my logs. Here is what my logs look for me trying to connect as a "whatever" user that doesn't exist. You can see there is no source IP telling me where this connection came from: Jun 27 10:13:40... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kah00na
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Want to delete the junk files from a directory which are not listed in a TEXT file

Hello Everyone, I want to delete the image files from a directory, which are not listed in a TEXT file. The directory contains large number of image files (in millions) required / not required. I want to delete the image files which are "not required". I have generated a Text file having... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Praveen Pandit
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting 3 days old logs from a directory

As i am working in unix environment so i have an logs that is created by my application at the following location that is /opt/app/glac/current/servers/ops/logs inside the logs directory there are different kinds of logs(that is the file having extension as .log ) have been created... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 2015nks
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find command on a empty directory - bad status

when I run the following command in AIX (bash), find ./* I get the following error. find: bad status-- ./* Thats becasuse, its an empty directory. The same works, when there the directory is not empty. Even though the find deesnt have to rerun any result. My full find command would look... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: deepakwins
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to move gz files from one source directory to destination directory?

Hi All, Daily i am doing the house keeping in one of my server and manually moving the files which were older than 90 days and moving to destination folder. using the find command . Could you please assist me how to put the automation using the shell script . ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: venkat918
11 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

-bash: ./p4: /bin/ksh^M: bad interpreter: No such file or directory

I keep getting this error and I am not sure why. -bash: ./p4: /bin/ksh^M: bad interpreter: No such file or directory First I run my makefile and this works fine: goodmain: main.o gcc -o goodmain main.o main.o: main.c gcc -c main.c Then I want to limit my output so I... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
11 Replies
TRIMHISTORY(8)						      System Manager's Manual						    TRIMHISTORY(8)

NAME
trimhistory - Remove old Xymon history-log entries SYNOPSIS
trimhistory --cutoff=TIME [options] DESCRIPTION
The trimhistory tool is used to purge old entries from the Xymon history logs. These logfiles accumulate information about all status changes that have occurred for any given service, host, or the entire Xymon system, and is used to generate the event- and history-log web- pages. Purging old entries can be done while Xymon is running, since the tool takes care not to commit updates to a file if it changes mid-way through the operation. In that case, the update is aborted and the existing logfile is left untouched. Optionally, this tool will also remove logfiles from hosts that are no longer defined in the Xymon bb-hosts(5) file. As an extension, even logfiles from services can be removed, if the service no longer has a valid status-report logged in the current Xymon status. OPTIONS
--cutoff=TIME This defines the cutoff-time when processing the history logs. Entries dated before this time are discarded. TIME is specified as the number of seconds since the beginning of the Epoch. This is easily generated by the GNU date(1) utility, e.g. the following com- mand will trim history logs of all entries prior to Oct. 1st 2004: trimhistory --cutoff=`date +%s --date="1 Oct 2004"` --outdir=DIRECTORY Normally, files in the BBHIST directory are replaced. This option causes trimhistory to save the shortened history logfiles to another directory, so you can verify that the operation works as intended. The output directory must exist. --drop Causes trimhistory to delete files from hosts that are not listed in the bb-hosts(5) file. --dropsvcs Causes trimhistory to delete files from services that are not currently tracked by Xymon. Normally these files would be left untouched if only the host exists. --droplogs Process the BBHISTLOGS directory also, and delete status-logs from events prior to the cut-off time. Note that this can dramatically increase the processing time, since there are often lots and lots of files to process. --progress[=N] This will cause trimhistory to output a status line for every N history logs or status-log collections it processes, to indicate how far it has progressed. The default setting for N is 100. --env=FILENAME Loads the environment from FILENAME before executing trimhistory. --debug Enable debugging output. FILES
$BBHIST/allevents The eventlog of all events that have happened in Xymon. $BBHIST/HOSTNAME The per-host eventlogs. $BBHIST/HOSTNAME.SERVICE The per-service eventlogs. $BBHISTLOGS/*/* The historical status-logs. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
BBHIST The directory holding all history logs. BBHISTLOGS The top-level directory for the historical status-log collections. BBHOSTS The location of the bb-hosts file, holding the list of currently known hosts in Xymon. SEE ALSO
xymon(7), bb-hosts(5) Xymon Version 4.2.3: 4 Feb 2009 TRIMHISTORY(8)