Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Find Argv[i] in /bin and /sbin Post 303036615 by jim mcnamara on Thursday 4th of July 2019 07:04:17 PM
Old 07-04-2019
First off /bin and /sbin may be and often are symbolic links to /usr/bin or /usr/sbin. There are links for library directories as well.

So I am not sure where your confusion arises.

One solution is the realpath() function. It resolves the problem of reading and resolving links. You can use lstat to check if /bin or whatever is a symlink, too. lstat only returns information about links, not regular files or directories.

Read man page on realpath and lstat

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

command find returned bash: /usr/bin/find: Argument list too long

Hello, I create a file touch 1201093003 fichcomp and inside a repertory (which hava a lot of files) I want to list all files created before this file : find *.* \! -maxdepth 1 - newer fichcomp but this command returned bash: /usr/bin/find: Argument list too long but i make a filter all... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yacsil
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between /bin, /usr/bin, /sbin ?

Hi All, Can somebody tell me the difference between /bin, /usr/bin, /sbin ? Thanx in advance, Saneesh Joseph (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: saneeshjose
3 Replies

3. Solaris

different between /sbin/init and /usr/sbin/init

root@test09 # ls -al /sbin/init -r-xr-xr-x 1 root sys 550000 Jun 29 2002 /sbin/init root@test09 # ls -al /usr/sbin/init -r-xr-xr-x 1 root sys 37100 Jun 29 2002 /usr/sbin/init (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: userking
2 Replies

4. Red Hat

/usr/bin/find && -exec /bin/rm never work as expected

hi there, Would you able to advise that why the syntax or statement below couldn't work as expected ? /usr/bin/find /backup -name "*tar*" -mtime +2 -exec /bin/rm -f {} \; 1> /dev/null 2>&1 In fact, I was initially located it as in crontab job, but it doesn't work at all. So, I was... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: rauphelhunter
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

#!/bin/bash cannot find file or directory

Hello, When i run a bash script on ubuntu i get this message.. #!/bin/bash cannot find file or directory... Can anibody help me with this, because the file actually exists.... Is there any extra configuration to be made? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: oliveiraum
5 Replies

6. Programming

/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lpam

I'm trying to compile sudo on RHEL 4.8 and during the make I get the this error. Does anyone know what package I'm missing? gcc -o sudo sudo_auth.o pam.o mkstemps.o ldap.o exec_pty.o get_pty.o iolog.o audit.o boottime.o check.o env.o exec.o getspwuid.o gettime.o goodpath.o fileops.o find_path.o... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: woodson2
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

O argv, argv, wherefore art thou argv?

All of my machines (various open source derivatives on x86 and amd64) store argv above the stack (at a higher memory address). I am curious to learn if any systems store argv below the stack (at a lower memory address). I am particularly interested in proprietary Unices, such as Solaris, HP-UX,... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: alister
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

If cmd in in "A/user/bin A/bin A/user/sbin" but not "B/user/bin B/bin B/user/sbin" directory print t

there are two directories A and B if cmd in in "A/user/bin A/bin A/user/sbin" but not "B/user/bin B/bin B/user/sbin" directory print them (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yanglei_fage
1 Replies

9. UNIX and Linux Applications

/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lz error

I am installing lxml module for python on redhat I have installed libxml2 already. When I run for libxslt: ./configure --prefix=libxslt_folder --with-libxml-prefix=libxml2_folder It is ok the I run : make I have error: /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lz collect2: ld returned 1 exit status I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: AIX_30
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lboost_regex-mt

...... (30 Replies)
Discussion started by: larry burns
30 Replies
REALPATH(1)							      Debian							       REALPATH(1)

NAME
realpath - return the canonicalised absolute pathname SYNOPSIS
realpath [-s|--strip] [-z|--zero] filename ... realpath --h|--help realpath --v|--version DESCRIPTION
realpath converts each filename argument to an absolute pathname, which has no components that are symbolic links or the special . or .. directory entries. (See realpath(3) for more information.) Each path component in the filename must exist, otherwise realpath will fail and non-zero exit status will be returned. Please note that mostly the same functionality is provided by the `-e' option of the readlink(1) command. When the -s option is used realpath only removes the . and .. directories, but not symbolic links from filename. If the given filename argument is relative (i.e. does not start with `/'), realpath -s prepends to it the current directory name as obtained from the getcwd(2) system call before further processing. Each converted pathname is output to the standard output, on its own line. OPTIONS
-s, --strip Only strip . and .., components, but do not resolve symbolic links. -z, --zero Separate output filenames with the null character instead of newline, so it can be used with the `-0' option of xargs(1). -h, --help Print short usage information. -v, --version Show realpath's version number. EXAMPLES
For the examples below let's suppose that /usr/bin/X11 is a symbolic link, pointing to directory /usr/bin. Example 1 Regardless of what the current directory is realpath /../usr/bin/X11/./xterm prints /usr/bin/xterm but realpath -s /../usr/bin/X11/./xterm outputs /usr/bin/X11/xterm Example 2 When the current directory is /usr/bin/X11 (which is still a symbolic link to /usr/bin), the output of both realpath ./xterm and realpath -s ./xterm will be /usr/bin/xterm Example 3 Providing that the current directory is /home/user (and the directory exists before and during the realpath run), the command realpath ../path/to/some/./non-existent/./directory/../or/../file will fail with the following error ../path/to/some/./non-existent/./directory/../or/../file: No such file or directory but realpath -s ../path/to/some/./non-existent/./directory/../or/../file will return /home/path/to/some/non-existent/file EXIT STATUS
realpath returns a zero exit code when all pathnames were successfully converted. In case of any errors (e.g. missing or unavailable directories in the path), realpath prints error message to stderr and returns a non-zero exit code. SEE ALSO
basename(1), dirname(1), readlink(1), chase(1), realpath(3) BUGS
Hopefully none :) If you find some, please report them via the normal Debian bug reporting system, see the file /usr/share/doc/debian/bug-reporting.txt in the package doc-debian or the reportbug(1) man page. AUTHOR
Originally written by Lars Wirzenius <liw@iki.fi>, as a part of the dwww package. Robert Luberda <robert@debian.org> currently maintains and extends it. realpath is licensed via the GNU General Public License. While it has been written for Debian, porting it to other systems is strongly encouraged. Debian October 16th, 2011 REALPATH(1)