Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Email shell script return code Post 303036577 by midhun3108 on Wednesday 3rd of July 2019 09:03:51 AM
Old 07-03-2019
Email shell script return code

Hi All,

I'm new to unix and I have a requirement to execute a shell script and get the return code/Exit code and send it in email. Meaninig we execute a script which in turn execute a shel script and fetches it\s return code and send it to email. I tried the code below as :
Code:
output_file=$(mktemp /var/tmp/TestM/Program/script.X1.out)
php /var/tmp/TestM/CATProgram/MLookup.sh >>"$output_file"
ret=$?
if [ $ret -ne 0 ]; then
  echo "MLookup.sh failed (status $ret), see the output in $output_file"
fi

I know that we can send email using mail -s "text". But the above script is not saving the return code in the file. Please help on the above requirement.
Thanks,
Midhun

Last edited by jim mcnamara; 07-03-2019 at 10:19 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Store return code of shell script in oracle table

Hi friends, I have to do the following things : 1) there should be a shell script returning the returning the return code of the script. and i have to add some more details like on which machine is has run , at what time and other details and then using plsql i have to add a row to Oracle... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sveera
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capture Oracle return code in shell script

I am using the following code in my shell script list=`sqlplus -s $user/$pwd@$dbms<<EOF WHENEVER SQLERROR EXIT SQL.SQLCODE set pagesize 0 feedback off verify off heading off echo off select * from control_tbl where src_nm=$3 and extrct_nm=$4; exit SQL.SQLCODE; EOF` ERROR=$?... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Vikas Sood
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

return code from script

hey all, I have a simple script #!/bin/bash ./cron.sh test_a.txt & ./cron.sh test_b.txt & wait I want to invoke another program based on the return status of the above calls. How am I were to get that? Thanks! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mpang_
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to return value in shell script

im using bourne shell In file scriptA i add a new function, test_return() test_return() { a=1 return $a } when i try execute , a='/''/scriptA test_return echo $a its give me error.. scriptA: cannot return when not in function ist any solution for this problem.. How... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: neruppu
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to return the value from the called shell script to the calling sh script

Hi all, I have two ksh scripts #sample1.sh #!/bin/ksh . ./sample2.sh echo $fileExist #sample2.sh #!/bin/ksh func() { i=1 return $a } func echo $? Here how should I return the value of sample2.sh back to sample1.sh? Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gp_singh
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to return fail or pass from shell script on the basis of pl/sql code execution

Hi guys, I am quite new in shell scripting. I am tring to promote some oracle jobs into control-M. In control-M, I am calling a script which establishes a connection with database and execute some procedures. Now I want if that PL/sql Block got failed script should return failure to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alok1301
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to return a value of a variable from shell script to perl script

HI , Is there any way to return a value of variable from shell to perl script. Code: === Perl file my $diff1=system("sh diff.sh"); my $diff2=system("sh diff1.sh"); I need exit status of below commands i.e 0 and 1 respectively. Since in both the cases diff is working so system... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: srkelect
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to get return code from mutt if an address is invalid/undeliverable from Unix shell script

I am using mutt on ksh Unix to send emails to addresses plucked from the database. If the "To:" email address is not longer valid and so the email is not sent to the "To:" recipient, but is sent to the valid cc address, I need to be able to get an error code returned to the shell script so that... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jzuber
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to capture script return code?

Hi I am executing database backup via shell script (Korn). The backup log is long, but I would like to capture only the last line so I can send an email if it fails Example of failed backup (only last 3 lines) BR0056I End of database backup: bejbofoh.aff 2012-07-26 07.31.21 BR0280I... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nimo
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Return Code to shell script

Hi, I need to send the return code from a script to the parent shell script. But i am suppressing outputs while calling the child script. Is there any way still to get the return code from the child script with suppress output. Below is my script: I am using :$ while calling return.sh... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: usrrenny
5 Replies
SCRIPT-EMAIL(8) 					  System Administration Commands					   SCRIPT-EMAIL(8)

NAME
script-email - Amanda script to send email notifications DESCRIPTION
script-email is an Amanda script implementing the Script API. It should not be run by users directly. It sends a notification email to the addresses specified in the MAILTO property. PROPERTIES
This section lists the properties that control script-email's functionality. See amanda-scripts(7) for information on the Script API, script configuration. MAILTO List of email addresses that will receive an email on command execution. It is a multi-valued property: property "MAILTO" "amanda@domain.com" "sysadmin@domain.com" "amandauser@domain.com" EXAMPLE
In this example, script-email is scheduled to be run before the DLE, on the server. The unqualified email address amanda will be passed to the email system unchanged. The script is then attached to a dumptype, which can then be specified for any DLEs which require notification. define script-tool pre-email { comment "email me before this DLE is backed up" plugin "script-email" execute-on pre-dle-backup execute-where server property "mailto" "amanda" } define dumptype user-tar-email { user-tar script "pre-email" } SEE ALSO
amanda(8), amanda.conf(5), amanda-client.conf(5), amanda-scripts(7) The Amanda Wiki: : http://wiki.zmanda.com/ AUTHORS
Jean-Louis Martineau <martineau@zmanda.com> Zmanda, Inc. (http://www.zmanda.com) Dustin J. Mitchell <dustin@zmanda.com> Zmanda, Inc. (http://www.zmanda.com) Amanda 3.3.1 02/21/2012 SCRIPT-EMAIL(8)