Sponsored Content
Operating Systems OS X (Apple) MacOS 10.15 Catalina Crashes and Freezes on Boot Post 303036509 by Neo on Sunday 30th of June 2019 04:29:56 AM
Old 06-30-2019
MacOS 10.15 Catalina Crashes and Freezes on Boot

Sadly, I have turned off my access to the Apple Developers Beta program after installing macOS 10.15 Catalina a few days ago.

After the install, I rebooted by MacBook Air and it "hard froze" and we were heading out of town so I grabbed a backup MBA running Mojave.

Then, after getting back at my desk a few days later, it took me quite some time to recover from the macOS 10.15 Catalina meltdown.

The good news is that it's up and running again with a mid June time machine backup of Mojave.

The bad news is that I cannot trust Apple these days and have removed my Apple ID from the "beta program" until further notice.

Even more good news is that my systems will not be crashing and freezing up on reboot Smilie

Anyway, I don't see any new feature in Catalina that is useful for me personally and I like the Mojave visuals better than the Catalina visuals Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Catalina Analysis

How can I make analysis for catalina.out (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Burhan
2 Replies

2. Solaris

Solaris 10 crashes upon boot after TUN driver installed

Hey! I compiled TUN 1.1 driver on my Solaris 10 64bit, and everything was working fine, all the commands for installation were successfull (add_drv, devfsadm -i tun ... etc.) and the driver was working fine as I got OpenVPN server up and running with successful clients attached. My only problem... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: TomSu
2 Replies

3. Solaris

Log Rotation of Catalina.out

Hi, Recently i received a request to rotate logs of catalina.out (tomcat). The file size was about 807 MB. I used logadm to truncate the log ( -c ) and zip (-z 0) it. Everything worked fine, catalina.out.0.gz was created (22 MB) and the size of original catalina.out became 0kb. After... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mack1982
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Montioring Script Tomcat catalina.out

Hi, I need to monitor the tomcat log file called "Catalina.out" for any errors like out of memory,JDBC exceptions,broken pipe any other errors and exceptions The script should monitor this file and send a mail instantly and create a text file with errors day to day. Iam using Solaris... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chaithanyaa
3 Replies

5. OS X (Apple)

MacOS 10.15 (Catalina) switches from bash to zsh

Interestingly Apple has decided to switch the default shell for new users from bash to zsh in MacOS Catalina (10.15) Use zsh as the default shell on your Mac - Apple Support Another interesting fact is that Catalina also comes with /bin/dash (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Scrutinizer
5 Replies

6. Programming

Python Screen Capture of RIGOL 1054Z on macOS Catalina Using NI-VISA

On the NI-VISA boards there has been some frustration where folks cannot get NI-VISA to work on macOS Catalina because Catalina (macOS 10.15.x) is "not supported" by NI-VISA (for many months, it seems). Currently, the README shows: NI-VISA 19.0 for macOS supports the following platforms: ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
10 Replies

7. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Poor Windows 10 Performance of Parallels Desktop 15 on macOS Catalina

Just a quick note for macOS users. I just installed (and removed) Parallels Desktop 15 Edition on my MacPro (2013) with 64GB memory and 12-cores, which is running the latest version of macOS Catalina as of this post. The reason for this install was to test some RIGOL test gear software which... (6 Replies)
6 Replies

8. OS X (Apple)

Warning! Upgrade to Catalina 10.15.3 Crashes MacPro (2013) - Will Not Boot !

WARNING! Just upgraded my MacPro (2013) from Catalina 10.15.2 to 10.15.3. After the routine download and restart for upgrade installation, the Mac would not boot. Totally crashed. Now, I'm in the process of a 15 hour restore from my last time machine backup. I'm not very happy with... (3 Replies)
3 Replies

9. Programming

A Slightly Better NTP Client for the ESP32 (ESPWROOM32) on macOS Catalina

Currently have two ESP8266 modules testing some Blynk apps, whereI'm not so happy with the Blynk business model for developers, but that's another story. So, with two of my ESP8266s currently "busy", I decided to work on the ESP32, and in particular the ESPWROOM32. I installed the... (0 Replies)
0 Replies

10. OS X (Apple)

MacOS 10.15.2 Catalina display crash and system panic

MacPro (2013) 12-Core, 64GB RAM (today's crash): panic(cpu 2 caller 0xffffff7f8b333ad5): userspace watchdog timeout: no successful checkins from com.apple.WindowServer in 120 seconds service: com.apple.logd, total successful checkins since load (318824 seconds ago): 31883, last successful... (3 Replies)
3 Replies
NNGOBACK(1)						      General Commands Manual						       NNGOBACK(1)

NAME
nngoback - make news articles unread on a day-by-day basis (nn) SYNOPSIS
nngoback [ -NQvi ] [-d] days [ group ]... DESCRIPTION
nngoback will rewind the .newsrc record file of nn(1) one or more days. It can be used to rewind all groups, or only a specified set of groups. In other words, nngoback can mark news articles which have arrived on the system during the last days days unread. Only subscribed groups that occur in the current presentation sequence are rewound. That means that if no group arguments are specified, all groups occurring in the sequence defined in the init file will be rewound. Otherwise, only the groups specified on the argument line will be rewound. When a group is rewound, the information about selections, partially read digests etc. are discarded. It will print notifications about this unless the -Q (quiet) option is used. If the -i (interactive) option is specified, nngoback will report for each how many articles can be marked unread, and ask for confirmation before going back in that group. If the -v (verbose) option is specified, nngoback will report how many articles are marked unread. If the -N (no-update) option is specified, nngoback will perform the entire goback operation, but not update the .newsrc file. If you are not up-to-date with your news reading, you can also use nngoback to catch up to only have the last few days of news waiting to be read in the following way: nn -a0 nngoback 3 The nn command will mark all articles in all groups as read (answer all to the catch-up question.) The following nngoback will then make the last three days of news unread again. Examples: nngoback 0 Mark the articles which have arrived today as unread. nngoback 1 Mark the articles which have arrived yesterday and today as unread. nngoback 6 Mark the articles which have arrived during the last week as unread. You cannot go more than 14 days back with nngoback. (You can change this limit as described below.) THE BACK_ACT DAEMON It is a prerequisite for the use of nngoback that the script back_act is executed at an appropriate time once (and only once) every day. Preferably this is done by cron right before the bacth of news for `today' is received. back_act will maintain copies of the active file for the last 14 days. Optionally, the back_act program accepts a single numerical argument specifying how many copies of the active file it should maintain. This is useful if news is expired after 7 days, in which case keeping more than 7 days of active file copies is wasteful. FILES
~/.newsrc The record of read articles. ~/.newsrc.goback The original rc file before goback. $db/active.N The N days `old' active file. $master/back_act Script run by cron to maintain old active files. SEE ALSO
nn(1), nncheck(1), nngrab(1), nngrep(1), nnpost(1), nntidy(1) nnadmin(1M), nnusage(1M), nnmaster(8) NOTES
nngoback does not check the age of the `old' active files; it will blindly believe that active.0 was created today, and that active.7 is really seven days old! Therefore, the back_act script should be run once and only once every day for nngoback to work properly. The days are counted relative to the time the active files were copied. AUTHOR
Kim F. Storm, Texas Instruments A/S, Denmark E-mail: storm@texas.dk 4th Berkeley Distribution Release 6.6 NNGOBACK(1)