Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Sending output of program into subsequent commands (i.e. awk/sort) Post 303036506 by sand1234 on Saturday 29th of June 2019 10:51:35 PM
Old 06-29-2019
shell commands and awk

Hi RudiC,

I find it interesting that we are able to push shell commands directly into awk.
Is there any documentation around how this works? Is this only supported with the 'print' statement?

e.g.
Code:
awk 'NR==1 {print; next} {print | "sort -Vrk5"}'

Thanks.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

combining unix commands and awk program

Dear Experts I am trying to find if it is possible to combine unix commands in awk program. For example if it is possible embed rm or ls or any unix command inside the awk program and while it is reading the file besides printing be able to do some unix commands. I am thinking may be just print... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Reza Nazarian
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using the Sort, Cut, and Awk commands

Hello, I am trying, utilizing the few commands I know, to extract all records within my file that were generated in November of 2007. Each record within the file has a "date" field giving the month, day, and year (9-8-88). How do I extract those records to their own file? Once I extract... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: babbabooey
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sending awk output to nothing?

How can I direct awk output to go nowhere? I can write the data to a file easy enough or print it on the screen. But for this particular command I don't actually want the data and I don't want to create a file. I just want the data discarded. Thanks in advance (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: MrEddy
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk text record - prepend first field to all subsequent fields

Hello everyone, I've suddenly gotten very interested in sed and awk (and enjoying it quite a bit too) because of a large conversion project that we're working on. I'm currently stuck with a very inefficient process for processing text blocks. I'm sure someone here should be able to easily point out... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jameswatson3
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - use fields from subsequent lines

I've run into a problem getting exactly what I want out of awk - some folks may recognize this as an output from Amazon's ec2-describe-instances: Given the following: INSTANCE i-4960f321 BLOCKDEVICE Line2Var2 TAG instance i-4960f321 Name web1 TAG instance i-4960f321... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: colinjohnson
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

is there a way to assing variable a value that is output of a program in awk script?

Hi there is there a way to assing variable a value that is output of a program in awk script. For e.g., I did temp=(`grep "" $5 | cut -f8 -d' '`) but it does not work. Any advice??? Thanks in advance!!! :) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: FUTURE_EINSTEIN
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Want to sort a file using awk & sed to get required output

Hi All, Need Suggestion, Want to sort a file using awk & sed to get required, output as below, such that each LUN shows correct WWPN and FA port Numbers correctly: Required output: 01FB 10000000c97843a2 8C 0 01FB 10000000c96fb279 9C 0 22AF 10000000c97843a2 8C 0 22AF 10000000c975adbd ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: aix_admin_007
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pipe or combine output of three awk commands

What is the correct syntax to pipe or run three awk commands? Basically, using the output of the first awk as input in the second. Then using the output of the second awk in the third. Thank you :). awk 'FNR==NR {E; next }$3 in E {print $3, $5}' panel_genes.txt RefSeqGene.txt > update.txt |... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk capturing first sample, but not subsequent id's

In the awk below the first sample MEV45 gets extracted from the html, but the subsequent MEV46 and MEV47 do not as they are not part of parse. I can not seem to add them to the code. Thank you very much @RudiC your awk is very nice :). input {"barcodeId": "IonXpress", "barcodedSamples":... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk Sort 2d histogram output from min(X,Y) to max(X,Y)

I've got Gnuplot-format 2D histogram data output which looks as follows. 6.5 -1.25 10.2804 6.5404 -1.25 10.4907 6.58081 -1.25 10.8087 6.62121 -1.25 10.4686 6.66162 -1.25 10.506 6.70202 -1.25 10.3084 6.74242 -1.25 9.68256 6.78283 -1.25 9.41229 6.82323 -1.25 9.43078 6.86364 -1.25 9.62408... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chrisjorg
1 Replies
RBASH(1)						      General Commands Manual							  RBASH(1)

NAME
rbash - restricted bash, see bash(1) RESTRICTED SHELL
If bash is started with the name rbash, or the -r option is supplied at invocation, the shell becomes restricted. A restricted shell is used to set up an environment more controlled than the standard shell. It behaves identically to bash with the exception that the follow- ing are disallowed or not performed: o changing directories with cd o setting or unsetting the values of SHELL, PATH, ENV, or BASH_ENV o specifying command names containing / o specifying a file name containing a / as an argument to the . builtin command o specifying a filename containing a slash as an argument to the -p option to the hash builtin command o importing function definitions from the shell environment at startup o parsing the value of SHELLOPTS from the shell environment at startup o redirecting output using the >, >|, <>, >&, &>, and >> redirection operators o using the exec builtin command to replace the shell with another command o adding or deleting builtin commands with the -f and -d options to the enable builtin command o using the enable builtin command to enable disabled shell builtins o specifying the -p option to the command builtin command o turning off restricted mode with set +r or set +o restricted. These restrictions are enforced after any startup files are read. When a command that is found to be a shell script is executed, rbash turns off any restrictions in the shell spawned to execute the script. SEE ALSO
bash(1) GNU Bash-4.0 2004 Apr 20 RBASH(1)