Sponsored Content
Operating Systems HP-UX Unable to add 300gb secondary disk to running 11.11 HPUX system Post 303036502 by MadeInGermany on Saturday 29th of June 2019 08:10:18 AM
Old 06-29-2019
Do not directly write to the disk device after a pvcreate!

It is +5 years ago that I had access to an HP-UX box...

You might need vgscan to update some meta information in the volume group.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

Hpux Disk Cloning

hello, Anybody that has already running script or command that can disk clone the hpux machine thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: eykyn17
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

running a Perl script on HPUX platform

Hi, I wish to execute a simple perl script to pass unix commands on a HPUX platform, retrieve the result and filter through the text to determine outcomes x,y and z. I am developing the code on my windows system. I initially wrote the code to issue UNIX commands line by line, however i soon... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mmetcalfe
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

To get PID of a command passed to a secondary system

Hi Reqmt: I am working on Sys 1 and passes a command to Sys2 using a utility which has ssh coded in it. Is there any way to get the process id of the command in Sys 2 from my Sys1 ? Note: The utility is not editable, so you cannot get it through it and I am not logged in in Sys2. Thanks... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anu_math9
2 Replies

4. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

shift hard disk from primary IDE channel to secondary IDE channal

Wellcomes All, some times ago I 've installed a Debian ditribution on an Hard Disk who was set as Primary Master. Few days ago, I 've decided to install another Hard Disk with a different Operating System. When I did that, I turned off the old hard disk, and I mouted the new one on the Primary IDE... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thekarsillo
1 Replies

5. HP-UX

Unable to kill processes on HPUX

HPUX version B.11.23 as reported by uname -a Start with default signal I believe is -15 #kill PID Process still present. #kill -9 PID Process still present, even after repeated attempt and waiting. PPID becomes 1 which is the init process started at boot time. So far only way to... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: matthewdesimone
8 Replies

6. Solaris

new secondary disk

I just added a new disk i suppose the disk is not supported by sun solaris pls can someone advice on what i can do. pls see below: # format Searching for disks...done AVAILABLE DISK SELECTIONS: 0. c1d0 <DEFAULT cyl 15934 alt 2 hd 255 sec 126> ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: seyiisq
6 Replies

7. Solaris

Unable to add disk to VG group.

Hi, I am new to solaris administration. I have scan the new EMC SAN disk. I am able to see the disk when i run the powermt display dev=all command o/p. I want to format the disk and add file system to that disk. Can have formated the disk. and this the o/p of my format bash-3.00# prtvtoc... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jpkumar10
3 Replies

8. HP-UX

Recovering files from unbootable disk in HPUX 9

First of all, forgive me if I come off as naive. Normally I'm doing day-to-day management of a Server 2008 network, so HP-UX isn't exactly my forte. We have several HP 715/100 machines running UX 9.x, and recently one of them stopped being able to boot. In the boot menu the disk shows up with... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: GoldnPantaloons
3 Replies

9. Linux

Openldap add user to secondary group

Hello, i try to add user john to secondary group, named groupB this will add as primary group, how can i add to secondary group?? dn: cn=groupB,ou=Groups,dc=ldap-server,dc=com changetype: modify add: memberuid memberuid: john (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prpkrk
1 Replies
BADSECT(8)						      System Manager's Manual							BADSECT(8)

NAME
badsect - create files to contain bad sectors SYNOPSIS
/sbin/badsect sector ... DESCRIPTION
Badsect makes a file to contain a bad sector. Normally, bad sectors are made inaccessible by the standard formatter, which provides a for- warding table for bad sectors to the driver; see bad144(8) for details. If a driver supports the bad blocking standard it is much prefer- able to use that method to isolate bad blocks, since the bad block forwarding makes the pack appear perfect, and such packs can then be copied with dd(1). The technique used by this program is also less general than bad block forwarding, as badsect can't make amends for bad blocks in the i-list of file systems or in swap areas. Adding a sector which is suddenly bad to the bad sector table currently requires the running of the standard DEC formatter, as UNIX does not supply formatters. Thus to deal with a newly bad block or on disks where the drivers do not support the bad-blocking standard badsect may be used to good effect. Badsect is used on a quiet file system in the following way: First mount the file system, and change to its root directory. Make a direc- tory BAD there and change into it. Run badsect giving as argument all the bad sectors you wish to add. (The sector numbers should be given as physical disk sectors relative to the beginning of the file system, exactly as the system reports the sector numbers in its con- sole error messages.) Then change back to the root directory, unmount the file system and run fsck(8) on the file system. The bad sectors should show up in two files or in the bad sector files and the free list. Have fsck remove files containing the offending bad sectors, but do not have it remove the BAD/nnnnn files. This will leave the bad sectors in only the BAD files. Badsect works by giving the specified sector numbers in a mknod(2) system call (after taking into account the filesystem's block size), creating a regular file whose first block address is the block containing bad sector and whose name is the bad sector number. The file has 0 length, but the check programs will still consider it to contain the block containing the sector. This has the pleasant effect that the sector is completely inaccessible to the containing file system since it is not available by accessing the file. SEE ALSO
mknod(2), bad144(8), fsck(8) BUGS
If both sectors which comprise a (1024 byte) disk block are bad, you should specify only one of them to badsect, as the blocks in the bad sector files actually cover both (bad) disk sectors. On the PDP-11, only sector number less than 131072 may be specified on 1024-byte block filesystems, 65536 on 512-byte block filesystems. This is because only a short int is passed to the system from mknod. 3rd Berkeley Distribution BADSECT(8)