Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Bash script won't run because hardware won't produce display Post 303036477 by drysdalk on Friday 28th of June 2019 06:57:37 AM
Old 06-28-2019
Hi,

Yes, the issue here is most likely to be zenity, as you say. zenity is a utility for displaying dialog boxes in an X Windows graphical environment. If you're running this server headless (i.e. you have no monitor connected and are interacting with it purely over a serial link) then zenity isn't going to work. Your best bet would be to switch out zenity for another text-only utility such as dialog, which can display interactive full-screen text mode dialog boxes to query the user for information. That should work in any terminal session regardless of whether the script was being started in an xterm running in X11, on a text mode virtual console, or over a serial link. If you check out the man page for dialog it'll give you a description of how it works, but it shouldn't be too hard to re-work your script to use one rather than the other.
These 2 Users Gave Thanks to drysdalk For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Why won't my script run?

On the following script that I get an error when I try to execute as root: #./mv_log.sh bash: /root/util/mv_log.sh: Permission denied #!/usr/bin datetag=`date --date='1 day ago' +"%b%d%Y"` logname=`find /opt/bea/wlserver6.1/config/*/logs/ -iname 'access.log0*' -mtime -1 -print` mv... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: darthur
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cron won't run properly

I am new to unix, and this is my 1st post on this board. Looking for some advice about a cron job in my server. I am running a cron task that references a script which runs several other scripts and compiles them into a report and emails it to me. If I run the script manually, I will... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Steeler_fan
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Made command into a script but now won't run

Hello, After seeing in a Unix cheatsheet that I could add commands into a file and run that file as a command to save on typing, i tried it with this: #! /bin/csh # Backup website excluding directories that do not change rsync -e "ssh -p 2222" -axzvc --progress --stats --compress-level=9... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: patwa
9 Replies

4. Solaris

smc won't run on a regular user

Hi All, I'm getting this all the time with a regular user (after I do su - and smc): It appears you are attempting to run the graphical Solaris Management Console from a terminal which does not have a suitable 'DISPLAY' environment. Please check your 'DISPLAY' settings and that the user... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: itik
5 Replies

5. AIX

won't mount /usr...won't boot fully

Hello: NOOB here. I attempted to use smit mkcd. Failed on first attempt, not enough space. 2nd attempt tried to place iso on /usr, not enough space there. Cleanup ran for about 5 minutes after aborting. Now AIX won't boot. LCD display on 7029-6E3 says: 0517 MOUNT /USR. Attempted to boot from CD... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbird
11 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tip: Simple script won't run in cygwin - vim editor involved

I ran into this issue and thanks to various postings in various forums, was able to figure out the solution but didn't see one posting that laid the whole issue out cleanly. So thought the following might help others ... ------------------------------------------------------------------------... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: oxysep
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Solaris 10u7 won't boot after hardware change

Hi all, I've somehow gained the idea that I _need_ to run at least 1 box with Solaris, but things don't go as I had planned :-) I pulled this ancient IBM eserver xseries 305 out of the dust, and got myself a fresh copy of the required cd's for Solaris 10u7. FAIL, for some reason the box and the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr.aart
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash script won't execute (Mac)

I can't get any bash scripts to run in Terminal (Mac - Snow Leopard). I have the following super-simple script, and I can't get it to execute despite having the correct permissions (I think). #!/bin/bash echo "WORK... PLEASE?!" I named the file 'testScript.sh', and I added execution... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: compulsiveguile
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Nested double quotes won't work in my bash script?

In a bash script I have: LSCMD="find /project/media/ -mindepth 2 -maxdepth 2 -name \"files*pkg\"" ALL_PACKAGES=$( $LSCMD | sort 2>/dev/null) But I get nothing returned. It's just all blank. If I run the find command in a terminal, I get dozens of hits. I figure it's the way how I'm... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: superbbrr
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

While read won't run keyboard function

I am using while read do/ done to retrieve menu item. Works as advertised, no problem. I am using this hack function "pause" to stop script execution and wait for keyboard "enter" key to continue. Sort of break point function. Also works fine with one exception - it does not work when used... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: annacreek
4 Replies
zenity(1)							   User Commands							 zenity(1)

NAME
zenity, gdialog - display simple GNOME dialogs SYNOPSIS
zenity --calendar [--height=height] [--title=title] [--width=width] [--window-icon=path] [--date-format=format] [--day=number] [--month=number] [--text=text] [--year=number] zenity --entry [--height=height] [--title=title] [--width=width] [--window-icon=path] [--entry-text=text] [--hide-text] [--text=text] zenity --error | --info | --question | --warning [--height=height] [--title=title] [--width=width] [--window-icon=path] [--text=text] zenity --file-selection [--height=height] [--title=title] [--width=width] [--window-icon=path] [--filename=path] [--multiple] [--separa- tor=character] zenity --list --column=text [--height=height] [--title=title] [--width=width] [--window-icon=path] [--checklist] [--editable] [--radiolist] [--separator=character] zenity --progress [--height=height] [--title=title] [--width=width] [--window-icon=path] [--auto-close] [--percentage=number] [--pulsate] [--text=text] zenity --text-info [--height=height] [--title=title] [--width=width] [--window-icon=path] [--editable] [--filename=path] zenity --about | --help | --usage | --version | -GTK+_options DESCRIPTION
The Zenity application displays simple GNOME dialogs. You can use Zenity to create scripts that interact graphically with the user. gdia- log(1) has been deprecated and is now a wrapper script around Zenity, and will preserve compatibility with older scripts. OPTIONS
Zenity supports several different types of options. Zenity-Specific Options The following Zenity-specific options are supported: --about Display the About Zenity dialog, which provides information about the Zenity application, including the version number and the author. --version Display the version number of Zenity. Help Options The following help options are supported: --help Display help text. You can also use -? to specify this option. --usage Display brief usage text. GTK+ Options Zenity supports the standard GTK+ options. For more information about the GTK+ options, execute the zenity -? command. Dialog Options The following dialog options are supported: --calendar Display a calendar dialog. --entry Display a text entry dialog. --error Display an error dialog. --file-selection Display a file-selection dialog. --info Display an informational dialog. --list Display a list dialog. --progress Display a progress indication dialog. --question Display a question dialog. --text-info Display a text information dialog. --warning Display a warning dialog. General Dialog Options The following general dialog options are supported: --height=height Set the dialog height. --title=title Set the dialog title. --width=width Set the dialog width. --window-icon=path Set the dialog window icon with a full path to an image. Calendar Dialog Options The following calendar dialog options are supported: --date-format=format Set the date format to return at the command line. The default format depends on your locale. The format must be of strftime style, for example %A %d/%m/%y. --day=number Set the calendar day. --month=number Set the calendar month. --text=text Set the dialog text. --year=number Set the calendar year. Text-Entry Dialog Options The following text-entry dialog options are supported: --entry-text=text Set the dialog entry text. --hide-text Use asterisks to hide the entry text. --text=text Set the dialog text. Error Dialog Options The following error dialog options are supported: --text=text Set the dialog text. File-Selection Dialog Options The following file-selection dialog options are supported: --filename=path Set the file or directory to select by default. --multiple Allow multiple selections. --separator=character Set the separator character to return at the command line. This option is used only when the dialog allows multi- ple selections. Informational Dialog Options The following informational dialog options are supported: --text=text Set the dialog text. List Dialog Options The following list dialog options are supported: --checklist Specify that the first column contains check boxes. --column=text Set the text of a column. --editable Specify that the dialog contents are editable. --radiolist Specify that the first column contains radio buttons. --separator=character Set the separator character to return at the command line. This option is used only when the dialog allows multi- ple selections. Progress-Indication Dialog Options The following progress-indication dialog options are supported: --auto-close Close the dialog automatically when 100% has been reached. --percentage=number Set the initial percentage of the progress bar. --pulsate Specify that the progress bar pulsates until an EOF character is read from the command line. --text=text Set the dialog text. Question Dialog Options The following question dialog options are supported: --text=text Set the dialog text. Text-Informational Dialog Options The following text-informational dialog options are supported: --editable Specify that the dialog contents are editable. --filename=path Set the file to display in the dialog. Warning Dialog Options The following warning dialog options are supported: --text=text Set the dialog text. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Launching Zenity Using the List Dialog example% zenity --list --title="Choose bugs you wish to view" --text="Select items from the list below." --column="Bug Number" --column="Severity" --column="Description" 992383 Normal "GtkTreeView crashes on multiple selections" 293823 High "GNOME Dictionary does not handle proxy" 393823 Critical "Menu editing does not work in GNOME 2.0" Example 2: Launching Zenity Using the Progress Dialog example% find . -name '*.bk' | zenity --progress --title="Finding backups" --pulsate Example 3: Launching Zenity Using the Text Informational Dialog example% zenity --text-info --title="LGPL License" --filename="/home/user1/LICENSE" ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
The following environment variables affect the execution of zenity: ZENITY_OK, DIALOG_OK Set the return value for OK. ZENITY_CANCEL, DIALOG_CANCEL Set the return value for Cancel. ZENITY_ERROR, DIALOG_ERROR Set the return value for Error. ZENITY_ESC, DIALOG_ESC Set the return value for Escape. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: -1 Error 0 OK 1 Cancel, Escape FILES
The following files are used by this application: /usr/bin/zenity Executable for Zenity. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWzenity | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface stability |External | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
Zenity Manual Latest version of the GNOME Desktop User Guide for your platform. NOTES
Written by Glynn Foster, Sun Microsystems Inc., 2003, 2004. SunOS 5.10 20 Jul 2004 zenity(1)