Sponsored Content
Special Forums UNIX and Linux Applications Infrastructure Monitoring Can HPOV monitor server hung state ? Post 303036441 by hicksd8 on Wednesday 26th of June 2019 03:16:58 PM
Old 06-26-2019
My guess is that this server is not in a hung state but is running dead slow. The fact that ping still works proves that the vmware guest OS is alive.

This guest OS is either out of memory resource or the whole platform is out of memory resource. Since you are not complaining that other guests are showing any signs of problems I would ask whether a maximum real memory limit was put on this guest when is was configured. If so, as load increases on this guest it could reach a level where it is allowed no more memory and so starts to page like mad. The symptoms of very slow (almost impossible) login are typical of resource limitation. If you were to wait a very long time probably login would eventually complete.

What OS is under VMWare and booting the platform?

Could another guest OS on this platform suddenly be demanding a lot of resource thereby killing other guests?

Could you easily increase the overall RAM on the whole platform to test this theory out?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

Server hung

So my server was hung when I came in this morning. It was responding to pings, but the console and telnet sessions would not respond. There was no disk activity. The display said FA1F which I discovered that the "A" represents a high CPU load. I tired several things to get it going but was forced... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: biznatch
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

close_wait connections causing a server to hung

Hi Guys, Just wondering if anyone of you have been in a situation where you end up having around 100 close_wait connections and seems to me those connections are locking up resources/processes in the server so unless the server is rebooted those processes won't be released by the close_wait... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hariza
3 Replies

3. HP-UX

ssh session getting hung (smilar to hpux telnet session is getting hung after about 15 minutes)

Our network administrators implemented some sort of check to kill idle sessions and now burden is on us to run some sort of keep alive. Client based keep alive doesn't do a very good job. I have same issue with ssh. Does solution 2 provided above apply for ssh sessions also? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yoda9691
1 Replies

4. Solaris

How to clear maintenance state for apache2 server?

Can any one of you suggest me the method to get apache server in online from maintenance mode. I tried in the following way, but couldn't get that service to online. bash-3.00# svcs -a | grep apache legacy_run 9:51:55 lrc:/etc/rc3_d/S50apache offline 9:51:22... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sesha
3 Replies

5. Solaris

HPOV in solaris

Good Day all i have a solaris 8 server and i want the procedure for how to install HPOV becuse dont have any small info about solaris . (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thecobra151
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can i get the state of weblogic server

Hi, all Now i want write a shell to get the state of weblogic server,and when the Managed Server's state is not ok, after 3 times checking, i will send msg to the system administrator by sms. BTW, my environment is : Linux ,Redhat 5.4 64bit weblogic version: 10.3.3 the count number... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wangsk
1 Replies

7. SuSE

Server hung with firmware error

Hi all We've had an issue over the weekend when one of the SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 hung and had to be rebooted. The thing is that I got the ticket alert for a FS exceeding its usage at about 22:41:49 PM on 23 March. I checked the dmesg, the messages log and the boot.msg but all I found... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hedkandi
1 Replies

8. Red Hat

How to find the process which is caused system hung state?

when system is hung state due to swap, we will reboot it through ILO. i want to know which process caused system hung. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Naveen.6025
1 Replies

9. Linux

Server hung, is this a stack trace?

Hi everyone, Our Red Hat server hung yesterday, and I managed to log into the console and see the following message: RIP: 0010: mwait_idle_with_hints+0x66/ 0x67 RSP: 0018:ffffffff80457f40 EFLAGS: 00000046 RAX: 0000000000000010 RBX: ffff810c20075910 RCX: 0000000000000001 RDX:... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: badoshi
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Flow control state changed in server logs

Hi, We observe below logs from switch - the database servers rebooted becaause they couldn't do I/O on vfiler -Any pointers looking at below logs please? Switch logs: 2016 Apr 30 07:41:16.729 EAG-ECOM-POD111GPU-SWF1 %ETHPORT-5-IF_DOWN_LINK_FAILURE: Interface Ethernet152/1/8 is down (Link... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: admin_db
0 Replies
virt-image(5)						   Virtual Machine Install Tools					     virt-image(5)

NAME
virt-image - Format of the virtual image XML descriptor DESCRIPTION
virt-image(1) relies on an XML descriptor to create virtual machines from virtual machine images. In general, a virtual machine image consists of the XML descriptor (usually in a file image.xml) and a number of files for the virtual machine's disks. In the following explanation of the structure of the image descriptor, mandatory XML elements are marked as element, whereas optional elements are marked as element. All file names in the image descriptor are relative to the location of the descriptor itself. Generally, disk files are either kept in the same directory as the image descriptor, or in a subdirectory. HOST MATCHING
The image descriptor contains information on the requirements a guest has on the host platform through one or more the /image/domain/boot descriptors (see section "BOOT"). The image can only be used if at least one of the boot descriptors is suitable for the host platform; a boot descriptor is suitable if: o The CPU architecture of the boot descriptor, given by the boot/guest/arch element, is supported by the host o The host supports a guest with the features requested in the boot/guest/features element, such as providing an APIC, or having ACPI turned off If a suitable boot descriptor is found, the guest is created and booted according to the information about booting the OS from the boot/os element and with the disks specified in the boot/drive element. If more than one suitable boot descriptor is found, one of them is chosen based on a heuristic, generally preferring paravirtualized guests over full virtualized ones, though this is an implementation detail of the tool creating the virtual machine. STRUCTURE
The image descriptor consists of three sections, all contained in the toplevel image element: General metadata about the image A number of elements like label, name, and description that give some simple information about the image. The name must be a string suitable as a name for the virtual machine, the label is a short human-readable string suitable for display in graphical UI's, and the description should be a longer, free-form description of the purpose of the image. The name is mandatory. Virtual machine attributes The domain element contains instructions on how to boot the image, and device attributes such as the number of virtual CPU's and the size of the memory. (see section "DOMAIN") Storage layout The storage element lists the files to back the virtual machine's disks and some information about their format and use. (see section "STORAGE") DOMAIN
The domain element contains one or more boot descriptors (see section "BOOT") and a devices element. The Devices element lists the recommended number of virtual CPU's in the vcpu element and the recommended amount of memory in kB in the memory element. It also indicates whether the virtual machine should have a network interface through the interface element and whether the virtual machine has a graphical interface through the graphics element. BOOT Each boot descriptor details how the virtual machine should be started on a certain hypervisor. The type attribute of the boot element, which can either be "xen" or "hvm", depending on whether the boot descriptor is for a paravirtualized Xen(tm) guest or a fully-virtualized guest. The boot element contains three subelements: The platform requirements of the guest The platform requirements, contained in the guest element, consist of the arch element and the features element. The arch element indicates the CPU architecture the guest expects, e.g. "i686", "x86_64", or "ppc". The features element indicates whether certain platform features should be on or off. Currently, the platform features are pae, acpi, and apic. They can be turned on or off by giving a state attribute of either "on" or "off". When a feature is mentioned in the features element, it defaults to "on". The details of booting the image's operating system The os element for fully-virtualized "hvm" guests contains a loader element whose dev attribute indicates whether to boot off a hard disk ("dev='hd'") or off a CD-ROM ("dev='cdrom'") For paravirtualized guests, the os element either contains a "<loader>pygrub</loader>" element, indicating that the guest should be booted with pygrub, or kernel, initrd and cmdline elements. The contents of the kernel and initrd elements are the names of the kernel and initrd files, whereas the cmdline element contains the command line that should be passed to the kernel on boot. The mapping of disk files as devices into the guest The mapping of disk files into the guest is performed by a list of drive elements inside the boot element. Each drive element references the name of a disk file from the "STORAGE" section through its disk attribute and can optionally specify as what device that disk file should appear in the guest through its target attribute. If the target is omitted, device names are assigned in the order in which the drive elements appear, skipping already assigned devices. STORAGE
The storage element lists the disk image files that are part of the virtual machine image in a list of one or more disk elements. Each disk element can contain the following attributes: o the file attribute giving the name of the disk file o an optional id attribute. The name given with that attribute is used to reference the disk from the drive element of a boot descriptor. If the id attribute is missing, it defaults to the file attribute. o the use attribute indicating whether the disk file is a "system", "user", or "scratch" disk. The use attribute differentiates disk files so that an update based on replacing disk files can replace "system" disks, but leave "user" disks untouched. Generally, "system" disks contain application code, "user" disks contain the application's data, and "scratch" disks contain temporary state that can be erased between runs of the guest. The virtual machine image must contain files for all "system" disks, and may contain files for the "user" and "scratch" disks. If the latter are not part of the image, they are initialized as empty files when a guest is created, with the size given by the size attribute. o the size attribute giving the size of the disk in MB. o the format attribute giving the format of the disk file. Currently, this can be one of: "raw" "iso", "qcow", "qcow2", or "vmdk". EXAMPLE
The image descriptor below can be used to create a virtual machine running the System Rescue CD ("http://www.sysresccd.org/") Besides the descriptor, you only need the ISO image from the System Rescue CD website. <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <image> <name>sysresccd</name> <domain> <boot type="hvm"> <guest> <arch>i686</arch> </guest> <os> <loader dev="cdrom"/> </os> <drive disk="root.raw" target="hda"/> <drive disk="sysresc"/> </boot> <devices> <vcpu>1</vcpu> <memory>262144</memory> <interface/> <graphics/> </devices> </domain> <storage> <disk file="root.raw" use="scratch" size="100" format="raw"/> <disk id="sysresc" file="isos/systemrescuecd.iso" use="system" format="iso"/> </storage> </image> To create a virtual machine, save the above XML in image.xml and run: # virt-image --vnc image.xml AUTHOR
Written by David Lutterkort. See the AUTHORS file in the source distribution for the complete list of credits. BUGS
Please see "http://virt-manager.org/page/BugReporting" COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2006-2007 Red Hat, Inc, and various contributors. This is free software. You may redistribute copies of it under the terms of the GNU General Public License "http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html". There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
virt-image(1), virt-install(1), the project website "http://virt-manager.org", the Relax-NG grammar for image XML "image.rng" 2011-04-15 virt-image(5)