Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Grep with wildcard
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Grep with wildcard Post 303036269 by abdossamad2003 on Friday 21st of June 2019 08:14:03 AM
Old 06-21-2019
Many thanks
how can i find any help for regex e.g in "man command in terminal"?

test is:
somethin

somethina

somethinabc

something

somethinggg

Code:
grep "something*" test

Code:
somethin
somethina
somethinabc
something
somethinggg

somethina !?
somethinabc !?

but
Code:
grep "something?" test

no thing find

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find wildcard .shtml files in wildcard directories and removing them- How's it done?

I'm trying to figure out how to build a small shell script that will find old .shtml files in every /tgp/ directory on the server and delete them if they are older than 10 days... The structure of the paths are like this: /home/domains/www.domain2.com/tgp/ /home/domains/www.domain3.com/tgp/... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Neko
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

wildcard

what will the cmd below do? ls *.3 1 members mentions that to seek all permutations and combinations of the mp3 extension ill have to use curly braces, {} and not, . what then will do? (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhi
13 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep with wildcard in middle of word

How can grep G.*schema give me the result: ${Gacntg_dt}""'"' doesn't G.*schema say give me an unlimited number of characters between G and schema? :confused: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: danmauer
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

wildcard help!!

i have got heaps of files (.pdf, .txt and .doc) files in one folder, i am making a program in PERL that helps me find the files i want easier using shell wildcard, something like this!! print "Enter a pattern: (must be in )"; $input = <STDIN>; if (The input is in and valid wildcard... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bshell_1214
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

wildcard inside regular expression for grep

Hi, I'm on a Linux machine with a bash shell. I have some apache logs from where I want to extract the lines that match this pattern : "GET /dir1/dir2/dir3/bt_sx.gif HTTP/1.1" but where "/dir1/dir2/dir3/bt_sx" may vary , so I would like to grep something like cat apache.log | grep "\"GET... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: black_fender
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep Wildcard search

How can i grep for a pattern with wildcard using grep? I want to identify all the lines that start with SAM and end in .PIPE IN.TXT SAM_HEADER.PIPE SAM_DETAIL.PIPE SAM_INVOICE.PIPE Can i do something like grep SAM*.PIPE IN.TXT (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: venky338
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Wildcard for grep

GNU grep with Oracle Linux 6.3 I want to grep for strings starting with the pattern ora and and having the words r2j in it. It should return the lines highlighted in red below. But , I think I am not using wildcard for multiple characters correctly. $ cat someText.txt ora_pmon_jcpprdvp1... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kraljic
3 Replies

8. OS X (Apple)

Help with wildcard

CD_numb is AM017 this code: set the_Firstcom_CD to (do shell script "ls -d '/volumes/audioNAS/Firstcom/Access Music/' ") & CD_numb gives me this: "/volumes/audioNAS/Firstcom/Access Music/AM017" the item I am looking for is AM017Q. I can get the "*" syntax right so it never finder... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sbrady
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep and BzGrep with Wildcard in Search Pattern

Hello All, I hope this is the right area. If not, Kindly let me know and I will report in the appropriate spot. I am needing to find a search pattern that will make the * act as Wildcard in the search pattern instead of being literal. The example I am using is bzgrep "to=<*@domain.com>"... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mancountry
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to grep using wildcard in a file.

I wish to check if my file has a line that does not start with '#' and has 1. Listen and 2. 443 echo "Listen 443" > test.out grep 'Listen *443' test.out | grep -v '#' Listen 443 The above worked fine but when the entry changes to the below the grep fails... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
2 Replies
Prophet::Test(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation					Prophet::Test(3pm)

set_editor($code)
       Sets the subroutine that Prophet should use instead of "Prophet::CLI::Command::edit_text" (as this routine invokes an interactive editor)
       to $code.

set_editor_script SCRIPT
       Sets the editor that Proc::InvokeEditor uses.

This should be a non-interactive script found in t/scripts.

import_extra($class, $args)
   in_gladiator($code)
       Run the given code using Devel::Gladiator.

repo_path_for($username)
       Returns a path on disk for where $username's replica is stored.

repo_uri_for($username)
       Returns a file:// URI for $USERNAME'S replica (with the correct replica type prefix).

replica_uuid
       Returns the UUID of the test replica.

database_uuid
       Returns the UUID of the test database.

replica_last_rev
       Returns the sequence number of the last change in the test replica.

as_user($username, $coderef)
       Run this code block as $username.  This routine sets up the %ENV hash so that when we go looking for a repository, we get the user's repo.

replica_uuid_for($username)
       Returns the UUID of the given user's test replica.

database_uuid_for($username)
       Returns the UUID of the given user's test database.

ok_added_revisions( { CODE }, $numbers_of_new_revisions, $msg)
       Checks that the given code block adds the given number of changes to the test replica. $msg is optional and will be printed with the test
       if given.

serialize_conflict($conflict_obj)
       Returns a simple, serialized version of a Prophet::Conflict object suitable for comparison in tests.

The serialized version is a hash reference containing the following keys:
	   meta => { original_source_uuid => 'source_replica_uuid' }
	   records => { 'record_uuid' =>
			  { change_type => 'type',
			    props => { propchange_name => { source_old => 'old_val',
							    source_new => 'new_val',
							    target_old => 'target_val',
							  }
				     }
			  },
			'another_record_uuid' =>
			  { change_type => 'type',
			    props => { propchange_name => { source_old => 'old_val',
							    source_new => 'new_val',
							    target_old => 'target_val',
							  }
				     }
			  },
		      }

serialize_changeset($changeset_obj)
       Returns a simple, serialized version of a Prophet::ChangeSet object suitable for comparison in tests (a hash).

run_command($command, @args)
       Run the given command with (optionally) the given args using a new Prophet::CLI object. Returns the standard output of that command in
       scalar form or, in array context, the STDOUT in scalar form *and* the STDERR in scalar form.

Examples:

run_command('create', '--type=Foo');

load_record($type, $uuid)
       Loads and returns a record object for the record with the given type and uuid.

as_alice CODE, as_bob CODE, as_charlie CODE, as_david CODE
       Runs CODE as alice, bob, charlie or david.

perl v5.10.1							    2009-09-02							Prophet::Test(3pm)