Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Assigning proc_owner privilege to particular user in RBAC Post 303036164 by jim mcnamara on Monday 17th of June 2019 06:25:02 PM
Old 06-17-2019
Short answer to risk: yes. Not secure. That privilege means your power user reads the entire command line for ANY process, sometimes privileged processes get started something like this:
Code:
/path/to/foobar  jon/password

The power user can get environment variables inside the process with pargs -e, so if the secure user has a password embedded in an environment variable the power user can see it.
That power user may under some circumstances also read some of the /proc files for other processes.

Sounds like a security problem to me. You will have to be certain that nowhere are there system scripts that require passwords passed to them or have them in a login variable or an envirionment variable, for example.

This privilege would be good on a development machine, not so good on a production box.

How to assign and un-assign
Turn off for user
Code:
usermod -K 'defaultpriv=basic,!proc_info' user

Turn on for user:
Code:
usermod -K 'defaultpriv=basic,proc_info' user

The difference is just a single ! character
This User Gave Thanks to jim mcnamara For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Write privilege for user

Is it possible to grant write privileges to a user on a directory with out having to add the user to a group or make the user the owner of the directory? My background is in Windows and in Windows you can grant specific privileges to a user without having to put the user in a group or making the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: here2learn
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

RBAC: create a user to shut the server

Hi, I have created a user to shutdown the server using RBAC. Here are my steps: 1. roleadd -u 1000 -g 10 -d /home/stopsys -m stopsys 2. passwd stopsys 3. edit /etc/security/prof_attr to include: Shut:::able to shut the server: 4. modrole -P Shut stopsys 5. useradd -u 1001 -g 10 -d... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chaandana
2 Replies

3. AIX

[Help] Give privilege to an ordinary user

I'm trying to give a non-root user the right to start IBM HTTP Server, the web server is listening on port 80, but for AIX, ports under 1024 are privilege ports which can be used only by root. /usr/IBMIHS/bin# ./apachectl start (13)Permission denied: make_sock: could not bind to address :::80... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ibmer414
1 Replies

4. Linux

Sudo user vs RBAC

Hi all, What the difference between the sudo users & RBAC when the talk of effects after doing the above comes??? any differences between them ,kindly list ?? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saurabh84g
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Root privilege for user

Can anyone please tell how to give root privilege to a normal user in solaris 10? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nicktrix
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to create/restrict a user with to have no privilege from other group

Hello experts I am new to Unix. Env : HPUX I need to create a user say testuser such that it does not have access to file/directories from the other group i.e the last 3 digits . How do I do that. Reason for such a request :- I have an existing user oracle which has default umask... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: simonsimon
3 Replies

7. AIX

User Privilege

How to assign superuser privilege to an ordinary user temporarily (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: udtyuvaraj
1 Replies

8. AIX

sudo - User privilege specification

I am planning to implement sudo for users. Under , it looks I have to put the users who need to have sudo access: What are the recommended for users? I don't think I need to give the ALL privilege (i.e ) to AIX users. I'd like to know the commonly used privilege specification for sudo... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Daniel Gate
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create user with different privilege

Hi , I want to create 3 different user with below privilege in Solaris and Linux. 1) Read Only 2)Read and Write Only 3) Admin user Can you guys help me on this . (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Naveen Pathak
3 Replies
polkit-is-privileged(1M)				  System Administration Commands				  polkit-is-privileged(1M)

NAME
polkit-is-privileged - check PolicyKit privileges SYNOPSIS
polkit-is-privileged [-hvV] -u user -p privilege [-r resource] DESCRIPTION
The polkit-is-privileged command queries system policy to determine whether a user is allowed for a given privilege and resource. The resource name can be omitted. On the Solaris operating system, RBAC authorizations names should be used as privilege names. Currently, the only consumer of PolicyKit is hald(1M). OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -h, --help Display list of options and exit. -p privilege, --privilege privilege Name of privilege associated with user. Command tests for this privilege. -r resource, --resource resource Name of resource associated with user and privilege. Command tests for this resource. -u user, --user user User name or user id that is tested for. -v, --verbose Verbose mode. -V, --version Displays version number. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWhalr | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Volatile | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
auths(1), profiles(1), hald(1M), getauthattr(3SECDB), auth_attr(4), policy.conf(4), prof_attr(4), user_attr(4), attributes(5) SunOS 5.11 22 Aug 2006 polkit-is-privileged(1M)