Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Bash: Insert in a variable a file Post 303036159 by Francesco_IT on Monday 17th of June 2019 08:40:23 AM
Old 06-17-2019
Bash: Insert in a variable a file

hi all
i have a problem in the bash shell. i'd like insert in a variable a file for example :

i have a file datafine.log in this file there is :
Code:
17/JUN/2019

i want to insert the value of datafine.log in a variable.
Regards
Frncesco

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment edit by bakunin: please use CODE-tags for your data as well as code. Thank you. And while you are at it, please don't write in two-word-lines. This is a question in a technical forum, not a poem.

Last edited by bakunin; 06-17-2019 at 10:57 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

insert a variable in the last column of a file

i want to insert a variable in the last column of a file, the columns are separated by "|". I want to insert the variable in everyline of the file . (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dineshr85
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do I insert a line in the middle of a file in BASH?

I have tried sed '/6/a text_to_inserted' file > newfile but this inserts test_to_insert at random places in file and i want it in specific location, which is line 6. can anyone help.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: phenom
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

insert line into file using variable

Hi all, I am trying to insert couple of lines before first occurance of line3 which occuring after line 5. So I identified the line 5 line number in the file. Also redirected the all line3 line number to out.txt. Now I have problem in inserting the line using the variable $rep. Please help me... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aimmanuel
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert text into file depending on variable

Hey guys , i have a variable with the contents ... NUMBER=4 and a test file with the contents 1248 1213 1214 1278 1200 3045 3444 2130 I want to execute a script that will produce the following output ( based on NUMBER=4) to be ... create 1248 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: theshams
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to insert variable file into another, bit like C's #include

Hi, I want to insert one file into another like this: file 1: 1 2 3 <!-- #include file="file2" --> 4 5 <!-- #include file="file3" --> 6 with the complete output going to another file. Have seen some solutions to similar problems using sed, but this problem is different because it is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cvq
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash script search file and insert character when match found

Hi I need a bash script that can search through a text file and when it finds 'FSS1206' I need to put a Letter F 100 spaces after the second instance of FSS1206 The format is the same throughout the file I need to repeat this on every time it finds the second 'FSS1206' in the file I have... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: firefox2k2
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert value of env variable in xml file

Hello, I have the following variables set in my env echo $MY_XSD_FILE /home/jak/sample.xsd echo $MY_INTERVAL_VALUE 4 I want to insert them between the xml tags in my xml file cat sample.xml ::::::::::::::: ::::::::::::::: <property name="FILE"></property> :::::::::::::::::::::::... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jakSun8
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

BASH SCRIPT - Insert date into cells in cvs file

Hi, I'm looking to accomplish the following. Insert current date into three places/cells within a cvs, every time the bash script is executed. The cells are column A,B,C row 2. Row 1 is reserved for the headers. The file name is always orders.csv. These three cells we always have an old... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Rookievmc
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to insert subnode in xml file using xmlstarlet or any other bash command?

I have multiple xml files where i want to update a subnode if the subnode project points to different project or insert a subnode if it doesn't exist using a xmlstarlet or any other command that can be used in a bash script. I have been able to update the subnode project if it doesn't point to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sekhar419
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to insert a string and variable at specified position in command in bash?

I currently have a loop that reads all .bam files in a directory (wont always be 4 like in this example, into $id. What I am trying to do, unsucessfully, is create specific new lines in an exsisting command using each $id. Each new line would be: --bam ${id} \ Tried p=$dir... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
8 Replies
RAKE(1) 						 Ruby Programmers Reference Guide						   RAKE(1)

NAME
rake -- Ruby Make SYNOPSIS
rake [--f Rakefile] [--version] [-CGNPgnqstv] [-D [PATTERN]] [-E CODE] [-I LIBDIR] [-R RAKELIBDIR] [-T [PATTERN]] [-e CODE] [-p CODE] [-r MODULE] [--rules] [variable=value] target ... DESCRIPTION
Rake is a simple ruby(1) build program with capabilities similar to the regular make(1) command. Rake has the following features: o Rakefiles (Rake's version of Makefiles) are completely defined in standard Ruby syntax. No XML files to edit. No quirky Makefile syntax to worry about (is that a tab or a space?). o Users can specify tasks with prerequisites. o Rake supports rule patterns to synthesize implicit tasks. o Flexible FileLists that act like arrays but know about manipulating file names and paths. o A library of prepackaged tasks to make building rakefiles easier. OPTIONS
--version Display the program version. -C --classic-namespace Put Task and FileTask in the top level namespace -D [PATTERN] --describe [PATTERN] Describe the tasks (matching optional PATTERN), then exit. -E CODE --execute-continue CODE Execute some Ruby code, then continue with normal task processing. -G --no-system --nosystem Use standard project Rakefile search paths, ignore system wide rakefiles. -I LIBDIR --libdir LIBDIR Include LIBDIR in the search path for required modules. -N --no-search --nosearch Do not search parent directories for the Rakefile. -P --prereqs Display the tasks and dependencies, then exit. -R RAKELIBDIR --rakelib RAKELIBDIR --rakelibdir RAKELIBDIR Auto-import any .rake files in RAKELIBDIR. (default is rakelib ) -T [PATTERN] --tasks [PATTERN] Display the tasks (matching optional PATTERN) with descriptions, then exit. -e CODE --execute CODE Execute some Ruby code and exit. -f FILE --rakefile FILE Use FILE as the rakefile. -h --help Prints a summary of options. -g --system Using system wide (global) rakefiles (usually ~/.rake/*.rake ). -n --dry-run Do a dry run without executing actions. -p CODE --execute-print CODE Execute some Ruby code, print the result, then exit. -q --quiet Do not log messages to standard output. -r MODULE --require MODULE Require MODULE before executing rakefile. -s --silent Like --quiet, but also suppresses the 'in directory' announcement. -t --trace Turn on invoke/execute tracing, enable full backtrace. -v --verbose Log message to standard output (default). --rules Trace the rules resolution. SEE ALSO
ruby(1) make(1) http://rake.rubyforge.org/ REPORTING BUGS
Bugs, features requests and other issues can be logged at <http://onestepback.org/redmine/projects/show/rake>. You will need an account to before you can post issues. Register at <http://onestepback.org/redmine/account/register>. Or you can send an email to the author. AUTHOR
Rake is written by Jim Weirich <jim@weirichhouse.org> UNIX
November 7, 2012 UNIX