Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Parameters placement on stack in C Post 303036142 by jim mcnamara on Saturday 15th of June 2019 06:38:21 PM
Old 06-15-2019
Probably, placement has to do with word boundaries. Which vary with different OS and hardware. As Don mentioned clearly. gcc has options for packing objects in memory. try gcc -Q -v inputfilename.c - assuming that is what you used. Be prepared for a lot of information on your screen.

Last edited by jim mcnamara; 06-15-2019 at 07:46 PM..
This User Gave Thanks to jim mcnamara For This Post:

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

code placement

I'm sorry if something like this has already been posted, but I didn't find anything like it. I'm using ksh The code that I've come up with will initially print what I want, but will then keep repeating the second number. I'm just trying to teach myself and can't seem to find the code to work.... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: scott78
16 Replies

2. AIX

Aixterm icon placement?

Hi, I'm using xterm and aixterm with Mwm on AIX, and having trouble controlling icon placement when minimising windows. Basically when I run an xterm or aixterm I want to be able to specify where the icon will be if minimised. The man page mentions the "#geometry Geometry" option to aixterm,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cunningdavid
1 Replies

3. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Controlling icon placement?

Hi, I'm using xterm and aixterm with Mwm on AIX, and having trouble controlling icon placement when minimising windows. Basically when I run an xterm or aixterm I want to be able to specify where the icon will be if minimised. The man page mentions the "#geometry Geometry" option to aixterm,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cunningdavid
1 Replies

4. Programming

what is stack winding and stack unwinding

helo can u tell me what do you mean by stack winding and stack unwinding Regards, Amit (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitpansuria
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Data placement in SVM

Is it possible to place the data in inner or outer edge with SVM ( solaris volume manager ) or VxVM like we can do in AIX LVM ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fugitive
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Kernel Stack vs User Mode Stack

Hi, I am new to the linux kernel development area. I want to know what is the difference between kernel mode stack and user mode stack? Does each process has a user mode stack and a kernel mode stack?? Or Each process has a user mode stack and there is only one kernel mode stack that is shared by... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: saurabhkoar
4 Replies

7. Cybersecurity

Snort/NTOP Placement

I have been asked to place 2 (1 NTOP & 1 SNORT) boxes within our network as part of our tool kit for network monitoring and Intrusion detection. Out network is very simplistic and it layed out like this: internet | | Cisco 1811 Router (8x Layer 2 switch ports) ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: metallica1973
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Unix linked-list placement

Hi, I am programming in kernel, and I want to use a double linked list that holds infos that every process could access and modify THIS list. So, I suppose it is a 'global' variable since every process(thread) can reach it, I am wondering where to put it? by changing some of the kernel files? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: louisTan
1 Replies
HARDENED-LD(1)							 Debian GNU/Linux						    HARDENED-LD(1)

NAME
hardened-ld - linker wrapper to enforce hardening toolchain improvements SYNOPSIS
export DEB_BUILD_HARDENING=1 ld ... DESCRIPTION
The hardened-ld wrapper is normally used by calling ld as usual with DEB_BUILD_HARDENING set to 1. It will configure the necessary toolchain hardening features. By default, all features are enabled. If a given feature does not work correctly and needs to be disabled, the corresponding environment variables mentioned below can be set to 0. ENVIRONMENT
DEB_BUILD_HARDENING=1 Enable hardening features. DEB_BUILD_HARDENING_DEBUG=1 Print the full resulting gcc command line to STDERR before calling gcc. DEB_BUILD_HARDENING_RELRO=0 Don't mark ELF sections read-only after start. See README.Debian for details. DEB_BUILD_HARDENING_BINDNOW=0 Don't mark ELF loader for start-up dynamic resolution. See README.Debian for details. NOTES
System-wide settings can be added to /etc/hardening-wrapper.conf, one per line. The real ld is renamed ld.real, and a diversion is registered with dpkg-divert(1). Thus hardened-ld's idea of the default ld is dictated by whatever package installed /usr/bin/ld. SEE ALSO
hardened-cc(1) ld(1) Debian Project 2008-01-08 HARDENED-LD(1)