Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers How to append two fasta files? Post 303035989 by vgersh99 on Tuesday 11th of June 2019 03:10:37 PM
Old 06-11-2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by yifangt
I put my answer back as I met the scenarios:
1) when file2.fasta contains more entries than in file1.fasta and vice versa. and
2) when the sequence part can have more than one row;
Code:
awk 'BEGIN{RS=">";FS="\n"} {A[$1]=$2} END{for (i in A) {if (i) print ">"i,FS,A[i]}}' file1.fasta file2.fasta

This only works for 2-line fasta sequence files (i.e. each entry has two lines, One starts with ">" as the header, the other is the DNA sequence. @vgersh99, could you please elaborate your code for scenario 2)? Thanks!
My previously posted attempt was for the provided sample files ONLY - 2 lines for each sequence: 1 header and 1 "data" lines.
Had the OP elaborated on the possible other sample data files, an alternate solution would have been provided.
This User Gave Thanks to vgersh99 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

append two files

Hi, I have two files where 1 contains data and the other contains strings eg file 1 -0.00000 0.00000 0.00000 0.00000 0.00000 0.80000 0.50000 0.50000 0.60000 0.50000 0.50000 0.20000 -0.00000 0.00000 0.40000 file 2 F F F F F F T T T T T T T T T How to I append file2 to file 1 to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: princessotes
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep FASTA files

I would like to extract the sequences larger than 10 bases but shorter than 18 along with the identifier from a FASTA file that looks like this: > Seq I ACGACTAGACGATAGACGATAGA > Seq 2 ACGATGACGTAGCAGT > Seq 3 ACGATACGAT I know I can extract the IDs alone with the following code grep... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xterra
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

renaming (renumbering) fasta files

I have a fasta file that looks like this: >Noname ACCAAAATAATTCATGATATACTCAGATCCATCTGAGGGTTTCACCACTTGTAGAGCTAT CAGAAGAATGTCAATCAACTGTCCGAGAAAAAAGAATCCCAGG >Noname ACTATAAACCCTATTTCTCTTTCTAAAAATTGAAATATTAAAGAAACTAGCACTAGCCTG ACCTTTAGCCAGACTTCTCACTCTTAATGCTGCGGACAAACAGA ... I want to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Oyster
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

append to two files

I tried to write a script ( not working) to append first value from mylist to a file called my myfirstResult and to another called mysecondResult awk ' {print $1} >> myfirsResult ' < mylist awk ' {print $1} >> mysecondResult ' < mylist $ cat mylist A 02/16/2012 B 02/19/2012 C... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sara_84
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Breaking a fasta formatted file into multiple files containing each gene separately

Hey, I've been trying to break a massive fasta formatted file into files containing each gene separately. Could anyone help me? I've tried to use the following code but i've recieved errors every time: for i in *.rtf.out do awk '/^>/{f=++d".fasta"} {print > $i.out}' $i done (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Ann Mc Cartney
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Append Files

Hi All, I have to append 2 lines at the end of a text file. If those 2 lines are already there then do not append else append the 2 lines to the text file. Eg: I have a text file, file.txt This text file might look like this, /home/kp/make.jsp /home/pk/model.jsp I have to append... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pavan_test
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Append file name to fasta file headers in Linux

How do we append the file name to fasta file headers in multiple fasta-files in Linux? (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mauve
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unzip all the files with subdirectories present and append a part of string from the main .zip files

Hi frnds, My requirement is I have a zip file with name say eg: test_ABC_UH_ccde2a_awdeaea_20150422.zip within that there are subdirectories on each directory we again have .zip files and in that we have files like mama20150422.gz and so on. Iam in need of a bash script so that it unzips... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ravi Kishore
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append string to all the files inside a directory excluding subdirectories and .zip files

Hii, Could someone help me to append string to the starting of all the filenames inside a directory but it should exclude .zip files and subdirectories. Eg. file1: test1.log file2: test2.log file3 test.zip After running the script file1: string_test1.log file2: string_test2.log file3:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ravi Kishore
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with reformat single-line multi-fasta into multi-line multi-fasta

Input File: >Seq1 ASDADAFASFASFADGSDGFSDFSDFSDFSDFSDFSDFSDFSDFSDFSDFSD >Seq2 SDASDAQEQWEQeqAdfaasd >Seq3 ASDSALGHIUDFJANCAGPATHLACJHPAUTYNJKG ...... Desired Output File >Seq1 ASDADAFASF ASFADGSDGF SDFSDFSDFS DFSDFSDFSD FSDFSDFSDF SD >Seq2 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: patrick87
4 Replies
BP_SEARCH2TRIBE(1p)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				       BP_SEARCH2TRIBE(1p)

NAME
search2tribe - Turn SearchIO parseable reports(s) into TRIBE matrix SYNOPSIS
Usage: search2tribe [-o outputfile] [-f reportformat] [-w/--weight] file1 file2 .. DESCRIPTION
This script is probably too slow for most people's uses. It is better to use something like scripts/searchio/fastam9_to_table, -m 9 output from BLAST, or the blast2table from the BLAST O'Reilly book to get a tabular output from these programs and then feed the table into MCL with the mcxdeblast script and the --m9 option. This script will turn a protein Search report (BLASTP, FASTP, SSEARCH) into a Markov Matrix for TribeMCL clustering. The options are: -o filename - the output filename [default STDOUT] -f format - search result format (blast, fasta) (ssearch is fasta format). default is blast. -w or --weight VALUE - Change the default weight for E(0.0) hits to VALUE (default=200 (i.e. 1e-200) ) -h - this help menu Additionally specify the filenames you want to process on the command-line. If no files are specified then STDIN input is assumed. You specify this by doing: search2tribe < file1 file2 file3 AUTHOR
Jason Stajich, jason-at-bioperl-dot-org perl v5.14.2 2012-03-02 BP_SEARCH2TRIBE(1p)