Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: AIX altinst_rootvg
Operating Systems AIX AIX altinst_rootvg Post 303035987 by bakunin on Tuesday 11th of June 2019 03:04:50 PM
Old 06-11-2019
I think, first an explanation what this "altinst_rootvg" is is in order:

When you are updating AIX there is always a non-zero chance of something going wrong so that you may want to roll back. With AIX 5.2 (IIRC - not sure about that) IBM introduced the "alternate disk installation". First, here is the principle:

- you start with a mirrored rootvg, where you have two disks. Each holding one mirror.
- you break up the mirror so that you have two identical copies
- then you update one with the new version while retaining the other as it is
- if everything goes right, the second (not updated) mirror is remirrored from the updated one so that you have a mirrored rootvg again (new version)
- if something goes wrong, reboot from the not-updated original, remirror the updated one from this so that you have a mirrored rootvg again (old version)

OK, with this in mind: notice that you first need to remove any installed emergency fixes before you update. Second, you do NOT do what i described above by hand! You use the adequate commands: alt_disk_install, alt_disk_copy, etc.. Read up on them before you attempt any update using them! There are options to alt_disk_install to create/remove the rootvg copies. Use only these, do NOT doctor with what the commands have created. Here is a link with the procedure.

Also notice that your NIM-server should ALWAYS be higher than or at least at the same level as your highest system. A NIM server with AIX 6.1 can only serve clients up to 6.1 and todays this means it is almost useless (AIX 6.1 is out of support in a few weeks). Your NIM-server should right now be at AIX 7.2 latest TL, even if the rest of your environment is 7.1 (which, btw., i think is a good idea). You can always serve clients below the NIMs level but never above.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

How to apply aix 5.3 TL8 properly on ML5 aix system ?

Is it necessary to put system into single user mode for applying aix 5.3 TL8 on a aix 5.3.5.0 system ? Is the TL8 installation not totally safe ? thank you. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: astjen
6 Replies

2. AIX

IY17981 fix required for aix 4.3.3 to aix 5L migration but not found

Hi, redbook documentation is telling that IY17981 fix is required for aix 4.3.3 to aix 5L migration. But there is no mention about that fix in any ML installation packages. - My system is ML11 : oslevel –r 4330-11 - But xlC.rte is on wrong version : lslpp -L xlC.rte xlC.rte ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: astjen
3 Replies

3. AIX

How to upgrade AIX Firmware & TL Maintenance Level in AIX

Steps to upgrade AIX TL ( technology Level ) / Maintenance Level in AIX ( including Firmware HMC VIOS ) This article or post covers upgrades for - Hardware Management Console ( HMC ) - Firmware ( also known as microcode ) - VIO ( Virtual I/O Server = PowerVM ) - AIX Version, Technology... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
2 Replies

4. AIX

Nim on AIX 7.1 used to migrate AIX 5.3 to AIX 6.1...is possible?

Using nimadm: nimadm -j nimadmvg -c sap024 -s spot_6100 -l lpp_6100 -d "hdisk1" -Y Initializing the NIM master. Initializing NIM client sap024. 0505-205 nimadm: The level of bos.alt_disk_install.rte installed in SPOT spot_6100 (6.1.3.4) does not match the NIM master's level (7.1.1.2).... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sciacca75
2 Replies

5. AIX

AIX How to exchange hostname and IP address between two AIX servers?

Hi all, I am trying to exchange hostname and IP address of two AIX machines. But i am confused as how to change it ? do i need to use "smitty mktcpip" or "smitty tcpip" ? what is the difference between smitty mktcpip and smitty tcpip ? Also anymore steps to follow or just updating... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lramsb4u
3 Replies

6. AIX

Will it affect my AIX LPAR security, when i set up email alerts on AIX server.

Hello, I've set up email alerts on AIX Servers. so that i can get email notifications (via mail relay server) when ever there is abnormal behavior. for example 1) my script monitors CPU/disk/memory etc... when it reaches high water ark, it will send an email alert. 2) disk usage alerts 3)... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: System Admin 77
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

New to AIX: How do I setup high availability on an AIX System

I am new to AIX but not new to unix. I have an interview for an AIX systems admin position and I know they want someone who has knowledge of High Availability, Failover and LPARs From my research so far, It appear powerha is used to setup high availability and failover on Power systems but is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mathisecure
2 Replies

8. AIX

Samba 3.6 on AIX 7.1 - Windows 10 Access to AIX file shares using Active Directory authentication

I am running AIX 7.1 and currently we have samba 3.6.25 installed on the server. As it stands some AIX folders are shared that can be accessed by certain Windows users. The problem is that since Windows 10 the guest feature no longer works so users have to manually type in their Windows login/pwd... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxsnake
14 Replies
volmirror(8)						      System Manager's Manual						      volmirror(8)

NAME
volmirror - Mirrors volumes on a disk or control default mirroring SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/volmirror [-g diskgroup] [-d yes|no] medianame [new_medianame...] /usr/sbin/volmirror [-g diskgroup] [-d yes|no] -a [new_medianame...] /usr/sbin/volmirror [-g diskgroup] [-d yes|no] /usr/sbin/volmirror [-g diskgroup] -D OPTIONS
The volmirror command supports the following options: Limits operation of the command to the given disk group, as specified by disk group ID or disk group name. The medianame operands will be evaluated relative to the given disk group. If no disk group is supplied to the volmirror command, rootdg is presumed. Changes the default for subsequent volume creation, depending on the option argument. If the option argument is yes, all subsequent volumes created using the volassist command will automatically be created as mirrored volumes. If the option argument supplied is no, mirroring will be turned off for future volumes by default. Displays current default status for mirroring. Mirrors all existing volumes for the specified disk group. DESCRIPTION
The volmirror command provides a mechanism to mirror all the contents of a specified disk, to mirror all currently unmirrored volumes in the specified disk group, or to change or display the current defaults for mirroring. All volumes that have only a single plex (mirror copy), will be mirrored by adding an additional plex. Volumes containing subdisks that reside on more than one disk will not be mirrored by volmirror. The volmirror command is generally called from the voldiskadm menus. It is not an interactive command and once called, will continue until completion of the operation or until a failure is detected. Note Due to the nature of generating mirror copies of volumes, this command may take a considerable time to complete. In the first listed form of the command, the disk media name is supplied on the command line to volmirror. That name is taken to be the only disk from which volumes should be mirrored. In the case of mirroring volumes from a specified disk, only simple single-subdisk volumes are mirrored. In the first and second listed forms of the command, the new_medianame ... parameter identifies a new disk media name (or set of names). The mirroring operation being performed will use these names as targets on which to allocate the mirrors. An error will result if the same disk is specified for both the source and target disk and if no other viable targets are supplied. EXAMPLES
The following are examples of the use of the volmirror command. The following command mirrors the contents of the disk named disk01 to any available space on any available disk. Subsequent calls to volassist will cause created volumes to be mirrored by default. volmirror -d yes disk01 The following command displays the current status of default mirroring. It prints the string yes if mirroring is currently enabled or no, if not. volmirror -D The following command mirrors any volumes on disk02 onto disk03. volmirror disk02 disk03 FILES
The defaults file for volassist parameters. SEE ALSO
volintro(8), volassist(8), volrootmir(8) volmirror(8)