Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Cut the first field and the 2 last field Post 303035873 by palita2601 on Thursday 6th of June 2019 03:44:29 AM
Old 06-06-2019
Thanks a lot!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to use cut to get the last field of a string?

If I am not sure of how many fields a string has, say STR=/homt/root/dir1/dir2/../dirn how to use "cut -d/ -f" to get dirn ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: meili100
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut last Field

Guys, I have a line like this: 109;201;1099010 and as you see that first field 109 and the last field starts with 109. I need to cut the rest in the last field after 109 which is 9010 How to do it? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sfaqih
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do I cut out this field?

Hello, In a shell script I am writing I execute this command: uniq -c names1.tmp > names2.tmp In names2.tmp I get these results: 4 user 2 username 1 users 1 veriano 1 victoria I need to isolate the names in this file and put it in another file. However it seems that the number... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mojoman
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut the last field

Hello guys. Is there any way I can cut the last field using "cut" ??? (without putting it into a while...) Thanks. 435 Gavea. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: 435 Gavea
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut portion of a field in shell scripts

Hi, I am a file with the following layout. field1|field2|field3|field4|field5|field6|field7 field1|field2|field3|field4|field5|field6|field7 field1|field2|field3|field4|field5|field6|field7 I need to write a file with the below layout field1|field2|fieldx|field6 where fieldx =... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shivacbz
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Printing Field with Delimiter in AWK/cut

Hello, I had posted earlier about printing fields using AWK, but now I have a slightly different problem. I have text files in the format: 1*2,3,4,5 and wish to print the first, third, and fifth fields, including the asterisk and commas. In other words, after filtering it should look... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jahn
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

cut a field, but with reverse order

Hi Everyone, I have one a.txt: a b 001 c b b 002 c c c, not 002 c The output should be 001 002 002 If i use cut -f 3 -d' ', this does not work on the 3rd line, so i thought is any way to cut the field counting from the end? or any perl thing can do this?:confused: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmy_y
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to cut a particular field

hi all i am need to cut the name of the file which i am entering in the comand line. say abc.txt is the name of the file i need to cut only the "abc" part. when i try doing this(using cut -f1) i am getting the data that s present inside the file and the file name. pls help.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: din_annauniv
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut third field of every third line

Hello, I have got a log file and would need to write a script to cut the every first and second fields of every third line. Job Name : dummytextd_v1 Status : KILLED TIMEDOUT 2011-05-01 05:33 Job Name : dummyttx_v1 Status : KILLED TIMEDOUT 2011-05-03 02:33 Job Name :... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kochappa
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to cut the last field without using awk

i have file as with the below content aaa.bbb.cc.dd aaa.fff.bb yyyyy.rrrrr.ggggg.iii wwww.w.r.ty i want the o/p as below dd bb iii ty but i dont want to use awk. is there any other way to do this ? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: anandgodse
5 Replies
CUT(1)								   User Commands							    CUT(1)

NAME
cut - remove sections from each line of files SYNOPSIS
cut OPTION... [FILE]... DESCRIPTION
Print selected parts of lines from each FILE to standard output. Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too. -b, --bytes=LIST select only these bytes -c, --characters=LIST select only these characters -d, --delimiter=DELIM use DELIM instead of TAB for field delimiter -f, --fields=LIST select only these fields; also print any line that contains no delimiter character, unless the -s option is specified -n (ignored) --complement complement the set of selected bytes, characters or fields -s, --only-delimited do not print lines not containing delimiters --output-delimiter=STRING use STRING as the output delimiter the default is to use the input delimiter --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit Use one, and only one of -b, -c or -f. Each LIST is made up of one range, or many ranges separated by commas. Selected input is written in the same order that it is read, and is written exactly once. Each range is one of: N N'th byte, character or field, counted from 1 N- from N'th byte, character or field, to end of line N-M from N'th to M'th (included) byte, character or field -M from first to M'th (included) byte, character or field With no FILE, or when FILE is -, read standard input. AUTHOR
Written by David M. Ihnat, David MacKenzie, and Jim Meyering. REPORTING BUGS
Report cut bugs to bug-coreutils@gnu.org GNU coreutils home page: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> General help using GNU software: <http://www.gnu.org/gethelp/> Report cut translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2010 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for cut is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and cut programs are properly installed at your site, the command info coreutils 'cut invocation' should give you access to the complete manual. GNU coreutils 8.5 February 2011 CUT(1)