Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Is there a UNIX command that can compare fields of files with differing number of fields? Post 303035773 by drl on Sunday 2nd of June 2019 08:45:03 PM
Old 06-02-2019
Hi.

Using RudiC's technique for cut, also consider diff and comm:
Code:
#!/usr/bin/env bash

# @(#) s1       Demonstrate comparison of selected fields, diff, comm.

# Utility functions: print-as-echo, print-line-with-visual-space, debug.
# export PATH="/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin"
LC_ALL=C ; LANG=C ; export LC_ALL LANG
pe() { for _i;do printf "%s" "$_i";done; printf "\n"; }
pl() { pe;pe "-----" ;pe "$*"; }
em() { pe "$*" >&2 ; }
db() { ( printf " db, ";for _i;do printf "%s" "$_i";done;printf "\n" ) >&2 ; }
db() { : ; }
C=$HOME/bin/context && [ -f $C ] && $C diff comm

pl " Input data files data[12], pasted for brevity:"
paste data[12] | expand -30

pl " Results, diff:"
diff data1 <(cut -d "|" -f1,2 data2)

pl " Results, comm:"
comm -3 data1 <(cut -d "|" -f1,2 data2)

exit 0

producing:
Code:
$ ./s1

Environment: LC_ALL = C, LANG = C
(Versions displayed with local utility "version")
OS, ker|rel, machine: Linux, 3.16.0-7-amd64, x86_64
Distribution        : Debian 8.11 (jessie) 
bash GNU bash 4.3.30
diff (GNU diffutils) 3.3
comm (GNU coreutils) 8.23

-----
 Input data files data[12], pasted for brevity:
ABCD01|APP_USER_PROFILE       ABCD01|APP_USER_PROFILE|OPEN|
ABCD02|APP_USER_PROFILE       ABCD02|APP_USER_PROFILE|LOCKED|2019-01-23=15:00
ABCD03|APP_USER_PROFILE       ABCD03|APP_USER_PROFILE|OPEN|
ABCD04|APP_USER_PROFILE       ABCD04|APP_USER_PROFILE|OPEN|
MINNIE|APP_USER_EXP_PROFILE   DONALD|APP_USER_PROFILE|OPEN|
PLUTO|APP_USER_PROFILE        MICKEY|APP_USER_PROFILE|LOCKED|2018-04-01=16:00
TEST01|APP_USER_PROFILE       TEST01|APP_USER_PROFILE|LOCKED|2016-08-05=14:00
TEST02|APP_USER_EXP_PROFILE   TEST02|APP_USER_EXP_PROFILE|EXPIRED|2017-01-01=13:00
TEST03|APP_USER_PROFILE       TEST03|APP_USER_PROFILE|OPEN|
TEST04|APP_USER_PROFILE       TEST04|APP_USER_PROFILE|LOCKED|2017-12-25=15:00
USER01|APP_USER_PROFILE       USER01|APP_USER_PROFILE|EXPIRED|2017-02-14=14:00
USER02|APP_USER_EXP_PROFILE   USER02|APP_USER_EXP_PROFILE|LOCKED|2018-12-25=11:00
USER03|APP_USER_PROFILE       USER03|APP_USER_PROFILE|OPEN|
USER04|APP_USER_PROFILE       USER04|APP_USER_PROFILE|OPEN|
XXXX02|APP_USER_PROFILE       XXXX01|APP_USER_EXP_PROFILE|LOCKED|2016-04-01=12:00
XXXX04|APP_USER_PROFILE       XXXX02|APP_USER_PROFILE|LOCKED|2019-01-01=01:00
ZZZZ03|APP_USER_PROFILE       XXXX04|APP_USER_PROFILE|OPEN|
                              ZZZZ03|APP_USER_PROFILE|OPEN|

-----
 Results, diff:
5,6c5,6
< MINNIE|APP_USER_EXP_PROFILE
< PLUTO|APP_USER_PROFILE
---
> DONALD|APP_USER_PROFILE
> MICKEY|APP_USER_PROFILE
14a15
> XXXX01|APP_USER_EXP_PROFILE

-----
 Results, comm:
        DONALD|APP_USER_PROFILE
        MICKEY|APP_USER_PROFILE
MINNIE|APP_USER_EXP_PROFILE
PLUTO|APP_USER_PROFILE
        XXXX01|APP_USER_EXP_PROFILE

Best wishes ... cheers, drl

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk sed cut? to rearrange random number of fields into 3 fields

I'm working on formatting some attendance data to meet a vendors requirements to upload to their system. With some help on the forums here, I have the data close. But they've since changed what they want. The vendor wants me to submit three fields to them. Field 1 is the studentid field,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: axo959
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare fields in 2 files using AWK

Hi unix gurus, I have a urgent requirement, I need to write a AWK script to compare each fields in 2 files using AWK. Basically my output should be like this. file1 row|num1|num2|num3 1|one|two|three 2|one|two|three file2 row|num1|num2|num3 1|one|two|three 2|one|two|four ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rashmisb
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

compare fields in different files

HI I'm having some troubles to compare and permut diffrent fields indexed with another filed like the following example `: file1 1 1 2 2 3 3 file2 7 1 9 2 10 3 result------------------- (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: yassinegoth
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare fields in files

Hi, I need the most efficient way of comparing the following and arriving at the result I have a file which has entries like, File1: 1|2|5|7|8|2|3|6|3|1 File2: 1|2|3|1|2|7|9|2 I need to compare the entries in these two file with those of a general file, 1|2|3|5|2|5|6|9|3|1... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: pradebban
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare two fields in text files?

Hi, I have two text files, compare column one in both the files and if it matches then the output should contain the id in column one, the number and the description. Both the files are sorted. Is there a one liner to get this done, kindly help. Thank you File 1: NC_000964 92.33 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pulikoti
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Help correcting file with differing number of fields

Hi all, I have a tab separated file, and one of the fields is sub-delimited by colon. The problem is there can be zero to 4 colons within this field. When I try to change colons to tabs the result is a file with a differing number of fields. I want to go from: a:b:c:d:e a:b:c a:b:c:d:e a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: torchij
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare three files based on two fields

Guys, I tried searching on the internet and I couldn't get the answer for this problem. I have 3 files. First 2 fields of all of them are of same type, say they come from various databases but first two fields in the 3 files means the same. I need to verify the entries that are not present... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: PikK45
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Compare 2 fields in 2 files

I am trying to compare two files (separted by a pipe) using 2 fields (field 1,3 from fileA and 1,2 from fileB) if the two files match i want the whole record of fileA adding the extra fields left from fileB. 1. A.txt cat|floffy|12|anything|anythings cat|kitty|15|lala|lalala... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sabercats
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - compare 1st 15 fields of record with 20 fields

I'm trying to compare 2 files for differences in a selct number of fields. When differnces are found it will write the whole record of the second file including appending '|C' out to a delta file. Each record will have 20 fields, but only want to do comparison of 1st 15 fields. The 1st field of... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sljnk
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare fields in two files

Hi, I am trying to check two files based on certain string and field. cat f1 source=\GREP\" hi this \\ source=\SED\" skdmsmd dnksdns source=\PERL\" cat f2 source=\SED\" source=\GREP\" vlamskds amdksk m source=\AWK\" awk \here\" (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: greet_sed
3 Replies
BOMSTRIP(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 					       BOMSTRIP(1)

NAME
bomstrip, bomstrip-files -- strip the BOM sequence from UTF-8 files SYNOPSIS
bomstrip bomstrip-files file ... DESCRIPTION
The bomstrip utility reads UTF-8 data from its standard input and copies it to its standard output, stripping the BOM (byte-order mark) from the beginning of the text if it is present. There are no command-line options and no parameters. The bomstrip-files utility removes the UTF-8 BOM from the specified files, saving each file's original contents with a .bom extension. It uses the bomstrip utility, trying to execute it as ``bomstrip''; if the bomstrip utility is installed under another name, or if a more com- plex command is desired, it may be supplied in the BOMSTRIP environment variable. EXAMPLES
Strip the BOM, if present, from a text file: bomstrip < bom.txt > nobom.txt Strip the BOM, if present, from all text files, backing them up with a .bom extension: bomstrip-files *.txt Use the OCAML implementation of bomstrip: env BOMSTRIP='ocaml bomstrip.ocaml' bomstrip-files *.txt SEE ALSO
The bomstrip home page: http://www.xs4all.nl/~mechiel/projects/bomstrip/ HISTORY
The bomstrip utility (in many languages) was written by Mechiel Lukkien, with implementations in various languages sent to him by others, including Andreas Gohr, Andrew Gerrand, Berteun Damman, Matthijs Bomhoff, Peter Pentchev, and Ruben Smelik. The bomstrip-files utility and this manual page were written by Peter Pentchev in the hope that they reflect the behavior of all the bomstrip implementations in all lan- guages. AUTHORS
Mechiel Lukkien <mechiel@xs4all.nl> Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net> BSD
June 14, 2008 BSD