Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Tar xfzv does not extract.
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Tar xfzv does not extract. Post 303035728 by hicksd8 on Saturday 1st of June 2019 05:37:07 AM
Old 06-01-2019
@scrutinizer / @neo......

Thank you for your post guys but........

AFAIR vz will only be interpreted as the archive name if there is whitespace between the cf and vz as in cf vz, which the OP isn't doing.

There is no suggestion that the OP is starting his/her switch string with anything other than a mode switch; c, x, or t, and after that surely the switch order doesn't matter (provided any required arguments for those switches on the command line are given in the same order as the switches).

I guess any/all moderators on here could answer this once the OP posts the full command lines s/he is using.
I repeat, until that happens, we are all in the dark.

Last edited by hicksd8; 06-01-2019 at 08:32 AM..
These 2 Users Gave Thanks to hicksd8 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

extract from tar backup

Hi All, I have created a tar file by giving the below command : all files of directory : /Accounts/2001/10/26 $tar -cvf Act26.tar /Accounts/2001/10/26 I copied into another server and given the following command: $tar -xvf Act26.tar then permision denied message came due to the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishna
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

TAR (Extract with subfolders)

Hi! I've uploaded a .tar file (created with Windows) containing my homepage to my webserver. Now I'd like to extract the file on the server. I can do that with SSH. BUT:: If i enter this command: tar -xf homepage.tar only the files in the root directory of the file get extracted.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: roberthawke
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

extract from TAR

Hi, when I extract a TAR archive by tar -xf file.tar the file.tar file stays on disk. Then I need two time the disk space. How can I avoid that ? How to ask not to keep file.tar ? Many thanks. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
8 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar. I can't extract

Hi, I am Nico. I have a tarball that i can't extract. I have this file: FlussiIbox.20060215.tar when i write "tar tf FlussiIbox.20060215.tar" the output is: /u01/USCITA/jobs/SUNRISE/output/IBOX.counter.20060212.dat.gz /u01/USCITA/jobs/SUNRISE/output/IBOX.counter.20060213.dat.gz... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: volleyboy
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract one file form .tar.gz without uncompressing .tar.gz file

hi all, kindly help me how to extract one file form .tar.gz without uncompressing .tar.gz file. thanks in advance bali (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: balireddy_77
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Error when tar extract

I've got this Files.tgz containing Fruits/Apple.txt Drinks/Soda.txt Drinks/Pepsi.txt I would like to extract all files/directories with pattern "Fruits". So, what I did was tar -xvf File.tgz `tar -tf Files.tgz | grep 'Fruits'` However, output is:- Files/Fruits... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: percivalwcy
8 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar extract to new path

I need to extract a file,which contains the path to a new path. sample tar file tar -tfv class.tar | grep client -rw------- 0/1 99 Jan 22 12:46 2004 /usr/openv/netbackup/db/class/mariner/clients -rw------- 0/1 102 Sep 25 11:33 2007... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jouuu
1 Replies

8. Linux

extract glibc-2.3.2.tar.tar

Hi, how can I extract glibc-2.3.2.tar.tar file ? I used tar -xf but does not work. Thank you. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Do I need to extract the entire tar file to confirm the tar folder is fine?

I would like to confirm my file.tar is been tar-ed correctly before I remove them. But I have very limited disc space to untar it. Can I just do the listing instead of actual extract it? Can I say confirm folder integrity if the listing is sucessful without problem? tar tvf file1.tar ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vivien_chu
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Tar extract Z file

I was looking at this tutorial for tar extract Z file. Is there a reason why this did not work? I checked my man pages and it had a -Z option. tar -xZvf /opt/Nimsoft/nimldr.tar.Z tar (child): compress: Cannot exec: No such file or directory tar (child): Error is not recoverable: exiting now... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
2 Replies
fence_brocade(8)					      System Manager's Manual						  fence_brocade(8)

NAME
fence_brocade - I/O Fencing agent for Brocade FC switches SYNOPSIS
fence_brocade [OPTION]... DESCRIPTION
fence_brocade is an I/O Fencing agent which can be used with Brocade FC switches. It logs into a Brocade switch via telnet and disables a specified port. Disabling the port which a machine is connected to effectively fences that machine. Lengthy telnet connections to the switch should be avoided while a GFS cluster is running because the connection will block any necessary fencing actions. fence_brocade accepts options on the command line as well as from stdin. fenced sends parameters through stdin when it execs the agent. fence_brocade can be run by itself with command line options which is useful for testing. After a fence operation has taken place the fenced machine can no longer connect to the Brocade FC switch. When the fenced machine is ready to be brought back into the GFS cluster (after reboot) the port on the Brocade FC switch needs to be enabled. This can be done by running fence_brocade and specifying the enable action. Vendor URL: http://www.brocade.com OPTIONS
-a IPaddress IP address of the switch. -h Print out a help message describing available options, then exit. -l login Login name for the switch. -n port The port number to disable on the switch. -o action The action required. disable (default) or enable. -p password Password for login. -S path Full path to an executable to generate the password for login. -q Quiet mode: print only error messages. -V Print out a version message, then exit. STDIN PARAMETERS
agent = < param > This option is used by fence_node(8) and is ignored by fence_brocade. ipaddr = < hostname | ip > IP address or hostname of the switch. login = < param > Login name. option = < param > The action required. disable (default) or enable. passwd = < param > Password for login. passwd_script = < param > Full path to an executable to generate the password for login. port = < param > The port number to disable on the switch. SEE ALSO
fence(8), fence_node(8) fence_brocade(8)