Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Tar xfzv does not extract.
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Tar xfzv does not extract. Post 303035700 by hicksd8 on Friday 31st of May 2019 06:57:31 AM
Old 05-31-2019
@dodona.....

I find your post confusing. 'vz' is NOT the filename on this command line. v and z are switches as in:
  • c=create
  • f=file <name of archive to be created>
  • v=verbose
  • z=compress

Theoretically, there is nothing wrong with what the OP is trying to do; create an archive and then extract it, but there's obviously something wrong syntactically or some such and until the OP provides the command lines, etc that I and vgersh99 have requested, I'm afraid we're all in the dark.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

extract from tar backup

Hi All, I have created a tar file by giving the below command : all files of directory : /Accounts/2001/10/26 $tar -cvf Act26.tar /Accounts/2001/10/26 I copied into another server and given the following command: $tar -xvf Act26.tar then permision denied message came due to the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishna
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

TAR (Extract with subfolders)

Hi! I've uploaded a .tar file (created with Windows) containing my homepage to my webserver. Now I'd like to extract the file on the server. I can do that with SSH. BUT:: If i enter this command: tar -xf homepage.tar only the files in the root directory of the file get extracted.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: roberthawke
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

extract from TAR

Hi, when I extract a TAR archive by tar -xf file.tar the file.tar file stays on disk. Then I need two time the disk space. How can I avoid that ? How to ask not to keep file.tar ? Many thanks. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
8 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar. I can't extract

Hi, I am Nico. I have a tarball that i can't extract. I have this file: FlussiIbox.20060215.tar when i write "tar tf FlussiIbox.20060215.tar" the output is: /u01/USCITA/jobs/SUNRISE/output/IBOX.counter.20060212.dat.gz /u01/USCITA/jobs/SUNRISE/output/IBOX.counter.20060213.dat.gz... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: volleyboy
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract one file form .tar.gz without uncompressing .tar.gz file

hi all, kindly help me how to extract one file form .tar.gz without uncompressing .tar.gz file. thanks in advance bali (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: balireddy_77
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Error when tar extract

I've got this Files.tgz containing Fruits/Apple.txt Drinks/Soda.txt Drinks/Pepsi.txt I would like to extract all files/directories with pattern "Fruits". So, what I did was tar -xvf File.tgz `tar -tf Files.tgz | grep 'Fruits'` However, output is:- Files/Fruits... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: percivalwcy
8 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar extract to new path

I need to extract a file,which contains the path to a new path. sample tar file tar -tfv class.tar | grep client -rw------- 0/1 99 Jan 22 12:46 2004 /usr/openv/netbackup/db/class/mariner/clients -rw------- 0/1 102 Sep 25 11:33 2007... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jouuu
1 Replies

8. Linux

extract glibc-2.3.2.tar.tar

Hi, how can I extract glibc-2.3.2.tar.tar file ? I used tar -xf but does not work. Thank you. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Do I need to extract the entire tar file to confirm the tar folder is fine?

I would like to confirm my file.tar is been tar-ed correctly before I remove them. But I have very limited disc space to untar it. Can I just do the listing instead of actual extract it? Can I say confirm folder integrity if the listing is sucessful without problem? tar tvf file1.tar ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vivien_chu
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Tar extract Z file

I was looking at this tutorial for tar extract Z file. Is there a reason why this did not work? I checked my man pages and it had a -Z option. tar -xZvf /opt/Nimsoft/nimldr.tar.Z tar (child): compress: Cannot exec: No such file or directory tar (child): Error is not recoverable: exiting now... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
2 Replies
UPSCLI_LIST_START(3)						    NUT Manual						      UPSCLI_LIST_START(3)

NAME
upscli_list_start - begin multi-item retrieval from a UPS SYNOPSIS
#include <upsclient.h> int upscli_list_start(UPSCONN_t *ups, int numq, const char **query) DESCRIPTION
The upscli_list_start() function takes the pointer ups to a UPSCONN_t state structure, and the pointer query to an array of numq query elements. It builds a properly-formatted request from those elements and transmits it to upsd(8). Upon success, the caller must call upscli_list_next(3) to retrieve the elements of the list. Failure to retrieve the list will most likely result in the client getting out of sync with the server due to buffered data. USES
This function implements the "LIST" command in the protocol. As a result, you can use it to request many different things from the server. Some examples are: o LIST UPS o LIST VAR <ups> o LIST RW <ups> o LIST CMD <ups> o LIST ENUM <ups> <var> o LIST RANGE <ups> <var> QUERY FORMATTING
To see the list of variables on a UPS called su700, the protocol command would be LIST VAR su700. To start that list with this function, you would populate query and numq as follows: int numq; const char *query[2]; query[0] = "VAR"; query[1] = "su700"; numq = 2; All escaping of special characters and quoting of elements with spaces are handled for you inside this function. ERROR CHECKING
This function checks the response from upsd(8) against your query. If it is not starting a list, or is starting the wrong type of list, it will return an error code. When this happens, upscli_upserror(3) will return UPSCLI_ERR_PROTOCOL. RETURN VALUE
The upscli_list_start() function returns 0 on success, or -1 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
upscli_fd(3), upscli_get(3), upscli_readline(3), upscli_sendline(3), upscli_ssl(3), upscli_strerror(3), upscli_upserror(3) Network UPS Tools 05/31/2012 UPSCLI_LIST_START(3)