Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Linux find command : how to use multiple conditions Post 303035691 by Chubler_XL on Thursday 30th of May 2019 10:34:06 PM
Old 05-30-2019
It is also worth pointing out that any of the conditions A thru C that match a directory will ignore anything under the directory as well.

So for example if a directory had a mod time outside of the foo_deb to foo_end range all contents below that point would be excluded from the find.

For example:

Code:
$ mkdir -p date_chk/{one,two}/{in,out,Documents,Music}
$ touch -t 201901011033 date_chk/{one,two}/{in,out}/oldy date_chk/one
$ touch date_chk/{one,two}/{in,out,Documents,Music}/{okfile,.xsession_notOK,.Xauthor}
$ touch -t 201903011000 foo_deb
$ touch -t 201912011000 foo_end
$ ./date_chk
./date_chk/two
./date_chk/two/in
./date_chk/two/in/okfile
./date_chk/two/out
./date_chk/two/out/okfile

Everything under date_chk/one is now discarded due to the folder being out of the date range! If you have file level criteria these need to follow the folder stuff and proceed the print like this:

Code:
find path \( \
   \( [folder-condition A] \) -prune -o \
   \( [folder-condition B] \) -prune -o \
   \( [folder-condition C] \) -prune \
\) -o \( \
   \( [file-condition D] \) -o
   \( [file-condition E] \) \
\) -o -print

Another example
Code:
$ find ./date_chk \( \
     \( -type d \( -iname Documents -o -iname Music \) \) -prune -o \
     \( -type f \( -name ".xsession*" -o -name ".Xauthor*" \) \) -prune \) \
     -o \(  \
        -newer foo_end -o ! -newer foo_deb -o ! -type f \) -o -print
./date_chk/one/in/okfile
./date_chk/one/out/okfile
./date_chk/two/in/okfile
./date_chk/two/out/okfile

Now we get only File types within range, regardless of the time on the parent folder(s).

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

multiple conditions in if/then

Hello, I am having trouble with the syntax with a conditional statement in a BASH script involving multiple conditions. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! if ; then array=("${array}" "$dnNum" ) fi i receive this error: ./testscript: ' (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: grandtheftander
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Multiple conditions in find or ls stmts

I'm looking for syntax to include two search patterns in a find or ls command. e.g. find BTIME_ACTUAL_HRS* OR BTIME_SCHEDULED_HRS* tia (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mavsman
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

multiple if conditions

Guys, Im trying to have a script that evaluates multiple conditions : test.sh: if then echo "host $1" else if then echo "host $1" else echo $1 not valid exit 1 fi when I do ./test.sh brazil1 I get: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bashshadow1979
4 Replies

4. Linux

Simplified find command to find multiple file types

Hi, I'm using the following command to find the multiple requierd file types and its working fine find . -name "*.pl" -o -name "*.pm" -o -name "*.sql" -o -name "*.so" -o -name "*.sh" -o -name "*.java" -o -name "*.class" -o -name "*.jar" -o -name "*.gz" -o -name "*.Z" -type f Though... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vickramshetty
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep command to find multiple strings in multiple lines in a file.

I want to search files (basically .cc files) in /xx folder and subfolders. Those files (*.cc files) must contain #include "header.h" AND x() function. I am writing it another way to make it clear, I wanna list of *.cc files that have 'header.h' & 'x()'. They must have two strings, header.h... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ritikaSharma
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

linux find and replace in multiple files

Is there a reason why all of these examples of linux find and replace in multiple files use find and grep to pipe into sed or perl. Why not just use sed or perl directly with something like this? sed -i 's/echo/burnbaby/g' booboo*... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find multiple string in one file using find command

Hi, I want find multiple string in one file using find coomand. And keeping it in one variable.grep is not working. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek1489
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Multiple Find Conditions in IF Statement - UNIX

When I try the below if Condition with single condition its working fine. But when I try to Club both its working . But giving wrong results. In my case cond1 = -f ${filename1} = true cond2 = -f ${filename2} = true But Cond1 & Cond2 is resulting in False ??? Please advise ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shiny_Reddy
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

If + multiple conditions

Hello Unix-Forums! It has been a long time since my last post, but finally I've got a new question: I know in case you can use multiple patterns by case $var in a|b|c|ab) and so on. But how would I place an OR between if ] then ... if ] then ... I want to execute the "..." if... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: intelinside
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple conditions in IF

Fellas, Am new to unix os/ and here the situation , I am trying to write multiple condition statement inside if but it throws me a error here is my piece of code , if ] && ] && ] then commands fi error : line 15 : ` can someone please advise me how to fix it Please use... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: xeccc5z
7 Replies
GIT-LS-FILES(1) 						    Git Manual							   GIT-LS-FILES(1)

NAME
git-ls-files - Show information about files in the index and the working tree SYNOPSIS
git ls-files [-z] [-t] [-v] (--[cached|deleted|others|ignored|stage|unmerged|killed|modified])* (-[c|d|o|i|s|u|k|m])* [-x <pattern>|--exclude=<pattern>] [-X <file>|--exclude-from=<file>] [--exclude-per-directory=<file>] [--exclude-standard] [--error-unmatch] [--with-tree=<tree-ish>] [--full-name] [--abbrev] [--] [<file>...] DESCRIPTION
This merges the file listing in the directory cache index with the actual working directory list, and shows different combinations of the two. One or more of the options below may be used to determine the files shown: OPTIONS
-c, --cached Show cached files in the output (default) -d, --deleted Show deleted files in the output -m, --modified Show modified files in the output -o, --others Show other (i.e. untracked) files in the output -i, --ignored Show only ignored files in the output. When showing files in the index, print only those matched by an exclude pattern. When showing "other" files, show only those matched by an exclude pattern. -s, --stage Show staged contents' object name, mode bits and stage number in the output. --directory If a whole directory is classified as "other", show just its name (with a trailing slash) and not its whole contents. --no-empty-directory Do not list empty directories. Has no effect without --directory. -u, --unmerged Show unmerged files in the output (forces --stage) -k, --killed Show files on the filesystem that need to be removed due to file/directory conflicts for checkout-index to succeed. -z line termination on output. -x <pattern>, --exclude=<pattern> Skip untracked files matching pattern. Note that pattern is a shell wildcard pattern. See EXCLUDE PATTERNS below for more information. -X <file>, --exclude-from=<file> Read exclude patterns from <file>; 1 per line. --exclude-per-directory=<file> Read additional exclude patterns that apply only to the directory and its subdirectories in <file>. --exclude-standard Add the standard Git exclusions: .git/info/exclude, .gitignore in each directory, and the user's global exclusion file. --error-unmatch If any <file> does not appear in the index, treat this as an error (return 1). --with-tree=<tree-ish> When using --error-unmatch to expand the user supplied <file> (i.e. path pattern) arguments to paths, pretend that paths which were removed in the index since the named <tree-ish> are still present. Using this option with -s or -u options does not make any sense. -t This feature is semi-deprecated. For scripting purpose, git-status(1) --porcelain and git-diff-files(1) --name-status are almost always superior alternatives, and users should look at git-status(1) --short or git-diff(1) --name-status for more user-friendly alternatives. This option identifies the file status with the following tags (followed by a space) at the start of each line: H cached S skip-worktree M unmerged R removed/deleted C modified/changed K to be killed ? other -v Similar to -t, but use lowercase letters for files that are marked as assume unchanged (see git-update-index(1)). --full-name When run from a subdirectory, the command usually outputs paths relative to the current directory. This option forces paths to be output relative to the project top directory. --abbrev[=<n>] Instead of showing the full 40-byte hexadecimal object lines, show only a partial prefix. Non default number of digits can be specified with --abbrev=<n>. --debug After each line that describes a file, add more data about its cache entry. This is intended to show as much information as possible for manual inspection; the exact format may change at any time. -- Do not interpret any more arguments as options. <file> Files to show. If no files are given all files which match the other specified criteria are shown. OUTPUT
git ls-files just outputs the filenames unless --stage is specified in which case it outputs: [<tag> ]<mode> <object> <stage> <file> git ls-files --unmerged and git ls-files --stage can be used to examine detailed information on unmerged paths. For an unmerged path, instead of recording a single mode/SHA-1 pair, the index records up to three such pairs; one from tree O in stage 1, A in stage 2, and B in stage 3. This information can be used by the user (or the porcelain) to see what should eventually be recorded at the path. (see git-read-tree(1) for more information on state) When -z option is not used, TAB, LF, and backslash characters in pathnames are represented as , , and \, respectively. EXCLUDE PATTERNS
git ls-files can use a list of "exclude patterns" when traversing the directory tree and finding files to show when the flags --others or --ignored are specified. gitignore(5) specifies the format of exclude patterns. These exclude patterns come from these places, in order: 1. The command line flag --exclude=<pattern> specifies a single pattern. Patterns are ordered in the same order they appear in the command line. 2. The command line flag --exclude-from=<file> specifies a file containing a list of patterns. Patterns are ordered in the same order they appear in the file. 3. The command line flag --exclude-per-directory=<name> specifies a name of the file in each directory git ls-files examines, normally .gitignore. Files in deeper directories take precedence. Patterns are ordered in the same order they appear in the files. A pattern specified on the command line with --exclude or read from the file specified with --exclude-from is relative to the top of the directory tree. A pattern read from a file specified by --exclude-per-directory is relative to the directory that the pattern file appears in. SEE ALSO
git-read-tree(1), gitignore(5) GIT
Part of the git(1) suite Git 1.8.5.3 01/14/2014 GIT-LS-FILES(1)