Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Tar xfzv does not extract.
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Tar xfzv does not extract. Post 303035678 by hicksd8 on Thursday 30th of May 2019 03:20:41 PM
Old 05-30-2019
'zipped' is not really an expression used in the unix world. Zip files are Windows orientated.

The tar 'c' switch 'creates' a tar file.
The tar 'z' switch 'compresses' that file when it's done (giving rise to a tar.gz file). Just one file.

It is true, however, that some Windows based utilities for 'zip' files can, indeed, read (unzip) unix created files like tar.gz if they are transfered into a Windows environment.
Don't get confused.

And just to add to all that.....some Unix/Linux OS's implement a 'gzip' utility which can manage tar format files.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

extract from tar backup

Hi All, I have created a tar file by giving the below command : all files of directory : /Accounts/2001/10/26 $tar -cvf Act26.tar /Accounts/2001/10/26 I copied into another server and given the following command: $tar -xvf Act26.tar then permision denied message came due to the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishna
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

TAR (Extract with subfolders)

Hi! I've uploaded a .tar file (created with Windows) containing my homepage to my webserver. Now I'd like to extract the file on the server. I can do that with SSH. BUT:: If i enter this command: tar -xf homepage.tar only the files in the root directory of the file get extracted.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: roberthawke
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

extract from TAR

Hi, when I extract a TAR archive by tar -xf file.tar the file.tar file stays on disk. Then I need two time the disk space. How can I avoid that ? How to ask not to keep file.tar ? Many thanks. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
8 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar. I can't extract

Hi, I am Nico. I have a tarball that i can't extract. I have this file: FlussiIbox.20060215.tar when i write "tar tf FlussiIbox.20060215.tar" the output is: /u01/USCITA/jobs/SUNRISE/output/IBOX.counter.20060212.dat.gz /u01/USCITA/jobs/SUNRISE/output/IBOX.counter.20060213.dat.gz... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: volleyboy
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract one file form .tar.gz without uncompressing .tar.gz file

hi all, kindly help me how to extract one file form .tar.gz without uncompressing .tar.gz file. thanks in advance bali (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: balireddy_77
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Error when tar extract

I've got this Files.tgz containing Fruits/Apple.txt Drinks/Soda.txt Drinks/Pepsi.txt I would like to extract all files/directories with pattern "Fruits". So, what I did was tar -xvf File.tgz `tar -tf Files.tgz | grep 'Fruits'` However, output is:- Files/Fruits... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: percivalwcy
8 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar extract to new path

I need to extract a file,which contains the path to a new path. sample tar file tar -tfv class.tar | grep client -rw------- 0/1 99 Jan 22 12:46 2004 /usr/openv/netbackup/db/class/mariner/clients -rw------- 0/1 102 Sep 25 11:33 2007... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jouuu
1 Replies

8. Linux

extract glibc-2.3.2.tar.tar

Hi, how can I extract glibc-2.3.2.tar.tar file ? I used tar -xf but does not work. Thank you. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Do I need to extract the entire tar file to confirm the tar folder is fine?

I would like to confirm my file.tar is been tar-ed correctly before I remove them. But I have very limited disc space to untar it. Can I just do the listing instead of actual extract it? Can I say confirm folder integrity if the listing is sucessful without problem? tar tvf file1.tar ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vivien_chu
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Tar extract Z file

I was looking at this tutorial for tar extract Z file. Is there a reason why this did not work? I checked my man pages and it had a -Z option. tar -xZvf /opt/Nimsoft/nimldr.tar.Z tar (child): compress: Cannot exec: No such file or directory tar (child): Error is not recoverable: exiting now... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
2 Replies
P7ZIP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  P7ZIP(1)

NAME
7-Zip - A file archiver with highest compression ratio SYNOPSIS
7z [adeltux] [-] [SWITCH] <ARCHIVE_NAME> <ARGUMENTS>... DESCRIPTION
7-Zip is a file archiver with the highest compression ratio. The program supports 7z (that implements LZMA compression algorithm), ZIP, CAB, ARJ, GZIP, BZIP2, TAR, CPIO, RPM and DEB formats. Compression ratio in the new 7z format is 30-50% better than ratio in ZIP format. 7z uses plugins to handle archives. FUNCTION LETTERS
a Add d Delete e Extract l List t Test u Update x eXtract with full paths SWITCHES
-ai[r[-|0]]{@listfile|!wildcard} Include archives -ax[r[-|0]]{@listfile|!wildcard} eXclude archives -bd Disable percentage indicator -i[r[-|0]]{@listfile|!wildcard} Include filenames -l don't store symlinks; store the files/directories they point to (CAUTION : the scanning stage can never end because of recursive symlinks like 'ln -s .. ldir') -m{Parameters} Set Compression Method -mhe=on|off 7z format only : enables or disables archive header encryption (Default : off) -o{Directory} Set Output directory -p{Password} Set Password -r[-|0] Recurse subdirectories (CAUTION: this flag does not do what you think, avoid using it) -sfx[{name}] Create SFX archive -si Read data from StdIn (eg: tar cf - directory | 7z a -si directory.tar.7z) -so Write data to StdOut (eg: 7z x -so directory.tar.7z | tar xf -) -slt Sets technical mode for l (list) command -t{Type} Type of archive (7z, zip, gzip, bzip2 or tar. 7z format is default) -v{Size}[b|k|m|g] Create volumes -u[-][p#][q#][r#][x#][y#][z#][!newArchiveName] Update options -w[path] Set Working directory -x[r[-|0]]]{@listfile|!wildcard} Exclude filenames -y Assume Yes on all queries DIAGNOSTICS
7-Zip returns the following exit codes: 0 Normal (no errors or warnings detected) 1 Warning (Non fatal error(s)). For example, some files cannot be read during compressing. So they were not compressed 2 Fatal error 7 Bad command line parameters 8 Not enough memory for operation 255 User stopped the process with control-C (or similar) Backup and limitations DO NOT USE the 7-zip format for backup purpose on Linux/Unix because : - 7-zip does not store the owner/group of the file. On Linux/Unix, in order to backup directories you must use tar : - to backup a directory : tar cf - directory | 7za a -si directory.tar.7z - to restore your backup : 7za x -so directory.tar.7z | tar xf - If you want to send files and directories (not the owner of file) to others Unix/MacOS/Windows users, you can use the 7-zip format. example : 7za a directory.7z directory Do not use "-r" because this flag does not do what you think. Do not use directory/* because of ".*" files (example : "directory/*" does not match "directory/.profile") EXAMPLE 1 7z a -t7z -m0=lzma -mx=9 -mfb=64 -md=32m -ms=on archive.7z dir1 adds all files from directory "dir1" to archive archive.7z using "ultra settings" -t7z 7z archive -m0=lzma lzma method -mx=9 level of compression = 9 (Ultra) -mfb=64 number of fast bytes for LZMA = 64 -md=32m dictionary size = 32 megabytes -ms=on solid archive = on EXAMPLE 2 7z a -sfx archive.exe dir1 add all files from directory "dir1" to SFX archive archive.exe (Remark : SFX archive MUST end with ".exe") EXAMPLE 3 7z a -mhe=on -pmy_password archive.7z a_directory add all files from directory "a_directory" to the archive "archive.7z" (with data and header archive encryption on) SEE ALSO
7za(1) 7zr(1) HTMLHelp({DEST_SHARE_DOC}/MANUAL/index.htm) AUTHOR
Written for Debian by Mohammed Adnene Trojette. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +--------------------+-----------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Availability | SUNWp7zip | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Interface Stability | Uncommitted | +--------------------+-----------------+ NOTES
Source for p7zip is available on http://opensolaris.org. Mohammed Adnene Trojette September 1 2006 P7ZIP(1)