Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: AIX altinst_rootvg
Operating Systems AIX AIX altinst_rootvg Post 303035648 by vbe on Thursday 30th of May 2019 04:09:23 AM
Old 05-30-2019
IMHO it would use what it has so 7.1...
You do have a mksysb somewhere I hope? Thats would be the best deal to put all at the level of that image... then you could start all again... When you say it renamed all the LV are you talking of rootvg only ? because those have just numbers to what I remember so I dont see how you could see anything change, but if the others that is because of their definition you find in /etc/filesystems which is found on rootvg, in other words using a mksysb from a previous configuration may show trouble mounting disks if not the same or for unfound filesystem and will not mount what it doeesnt know of like new LVs etc...
The same is true for passwords, reason why I include root passwd somewhere with it, I did before that make mksysb removing root passwd but found it was a terrible threat as too many engineers around, one could do silly things by mistake...
I have learned maybe the hard way, but I did too because of an HACMP failure long ago, that when anything system has changed like adding removing disks, new net or HBA cards etc... to update a text file YOU manage with vi and nothing else, somewhere you can always find if the system can boot (single user or maintenance level) where you can see what you know of and compare in order to get things right and not drown into more trouble such as the system seeing "new disks" will quite surely scan and find LVs and so ...
AIX is like HP-UX very robust, both have their pros and cons, but both have first class system administration tools which explains they are still on the market, one strength is that very very rarely you need to re-install after a serious issue on the hundred I had to administrate I never had once to reinstall a box except and AIX 4.3 as I never found out what a previous sysadm did to wreck the box , I had to format the root/boot disk twice to get it looking sane again but we are talking pre Y2K ...
This User Gave Thanks to vbe For This Post:

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

How to apply aix 5.3 TL8 properly on ML5 aix system ?

Is it necessary to put system into single user mode for applying aix 5.3 TL8 on a aix 5.3.5.0 system ? Is the TL8 installation not totally safe ? thank you. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: astjen
6 Replies

2. AIX

IY17981 fix required for aix 4.3.3 to aix 5L migration but not found

Hi, redbook documentation is telling that IY17981 fix is required for aix 4.3.3 to aix 5L migration. But there is no mention about that fix in any ML installation packages. - My system is ML11 : oslevel –r 4330-11 - But xlC.rte is on wrong version : lslpp -L xlC.rte xlC.rte ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: astjen
3 Replies

3. AIX

How to upgrade AIX Firmware & TL Maintenance Level in AIX

Steps to upgrade AIX TL ( technology Level ) / Maintenance Level in AIX ( including Firmware HMC VIOS ) This article or post covers upgrades for - Hardware Management Console ( HMC ) - Firmware ( also known as microcode ) - VIO ( Virtual I/O Server = PowerVM ) - AIX Version, Technology... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
2 Replies

4. AIX

Nim on AIX 7.1 used to migrate AIX 5.3 to AIX 6.1...is possible?

Using nimadm: nimadm -j nimadmvg -c sap024 -s spot_6100 -l lpp_6100 -d "hdisk1" -Y Initializing the NIM master. Initializing NIM client sap024. 0505-205 nimadm: The level of bos.alt_disk_install.rte installed in SPOT spot_6100 (6.1.3.4) does not match the NIM master's level (7.1.1.2).... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sciacca75
2 Replies

5. AIX

AIX How to exchange hostname and IP address between two AIX servers?

Hi all, I am trying to exchange hostname and IP address of two AIX machines. But i am confused as how to change it ? do i need to use "smitty mktcpip" or "smitty tcpip" ? what is the difference between smitty mktcpip and smitty tcpip ? Also anymore steps to follow or just updating... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lramsb4u
3 Replies

6. AIX

Will it affect my AIX LPAR security, when i set up email alerts on AIX server.

Hello, I've set up email alerts on AIX Servers. so that i can get email notifications (via mail relay server) when ever there is abnormal behavior. for example 1) my script monitors CPU/disk/memory etc... when it reaches high water ark, it will send an email alert. 2) disk usage alerts 3)... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: System Admin 77
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

New to AIX: How do I setup high availability on an AIX System

I am new to AIX but not new to unix. I have an interview for an AIX systems admin position and I know they want someone who has knowledge of High Availability, Failover and LPARs From my research so far, It appear powerha is used to setup high availability and failover on Power systems but is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mathisecure
2 Replies

8. AIX

Samba 3.6 on AIX 7.1 - Windows 10 Access to AIX file shares using Active Directory authentication

I am running AIX 7.1 and currently we have samba 3.6.25 installed on the server. As it stands some AIX folders are shared that can be accessed by certain Windows users. The problem is that since Windows 10 the guest feature no longer works so users have to manually type in their Windows login/pwd... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxsnake
14 Replies
vxbootsetup(1M) 														   vxbootsetup(1M)

NAME
vxbootsetup - set up system boot information on a Veritas Volume Manager disk SYNOPSIS
/etc/vx/bin/vxbootsetup [-g diskgroup] [medianame ... ] DESCRIPTION
The vxbootsetup utility configures physical disks so that they can be used to boot the system. Before vxbootsetup is called to configure a disk, the required volumes, standvol, rootvol and swapvol (and optionally, dumpvol) must be created on the disk. All of these volumes must be contiguous with only one subdisk. The -g option may be used to specify the boot disk group. If no medianame arguments are specified, all disks that contain usable mirrors of the root, swap, /usr and /var volumes are configured to be bootable. If medianame arguments are given, only the disks that are associated with the specified disk names are configured to be bootable. vxbootsetup requires that: o The root volume must be named rootvol and must have a usage type of root. o The swap volume must be named swapvol and must have a usage type of swap. o The volumes containing /usr and /var (if any) must be named usr and var, respectively. See the chapter "Recovery from Boot Disk Failure" in the Veritas Volume Manager Troubleshooting Guide for detailed information on how the system boots and how VxVM impacts the system boot process. The vxmirror, vxrootmir, and vxresize utilities call vxbootsetup automatically. If you use vxassist, or vxmake and vxplex to create mirrors of the root volume on a disk, you must run vxbootsetup explicitly to make the disk bootable. ARGUMENTS
medianame Specifies the disk name (disk media name) of a VM disk that is to be configured as bootable. SEE ALSO
disksetup(1M), edvtoc(1M), vxassist(1M), vxevac(1M), vxinstall(1M), vxintro(1M), vxmake(1M), vxmirror(1M), vxplex(1M), vxresize(1M), vxrootmir(1M) Veritas Volume Manager Troubleshooting Guide VxVM 5.0.31.1 24 Mar 2008 vxbootsetup(1M)