Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: AIX altinst_rootvg
Operating Systems AIX AIX altinst_rootvg Post 303035645 by Phat on Thursday 30th of May 2019 12:38:04 AM
Old 05-30-2019
Quote:
Neo gave you the man pages to the commands you need, and the reason you do altinst_rootvg is when you decide to apply patches or upgrade of TL etc... you have an altinst_rootvg to reboot from if things go wrong, so I never heard of anyone trying to sync like you did as for that you create a mirror that you un-mirror after only as most are using virtual devices we have this new option...
Thank Neo and vbe.

Because I vary on the altinst_rootvg and try to use bosboot to create the boot info again, but it complains that hd5 already exists. So I try to sync it but finally it renamed all the LVs.

I have downloaded the AIX iso 7.1 which SP is higher the problematic AIX box. Can the higher version of AIX can create the lower version boot partition?

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

How to apply aix 5.3 TL8 properly on ML5 aix system ?

Is it necessary to put system into single user mode for applying aix 5.3 TL8 on a aix 5.3.5.0 system ? Is the TL8 installation not totally safe ? thank you. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: astjen
6 Replies

2. AIX

IY17981 fix required for aix 4.3.3 to aix 5L migration but not found

Hi, redbook documentation is telling that IY17981 fix is required for aix 4.3.3 to aix 5L migration. But there is no mention about that fix in any ML installation packages. - My system is ML11 : oslevel –r 4330-11 - But xlC.rte is on wrong version : lslpp -L xlC.rte xlC.rte ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: astjen
3 Replies

3. AIX

How to upgrade AIX Firmware & TL Maintenance Level in AIX

Steps to upgrade AIX TL ( technology Level ) / Maintenance Level in AIX ( including Firmware HMC VIOS ) This article or post covers upgrades for - Hardware Management Console ( HMC ) - Firmware ( also known as microcode ) - VIO ( Virtual I/O Server = PowerVM ) - AIX Version, Technology... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
2 Replies

4. AIX

Nim on AIX 7.1 used to migrate AIX 5.3 to AIX 6.1...is possible?

Using nimadm: nimadm -j nimadmvg -c sap024 -s spot_6100 -l lpp_6100 -d "hdisk1" -Y Initializing the NIM master. Initializing NIM client sap024. 0505-205 nimadm: The level of bos.alt_disk_install.rte installed in SPOT spot_6100 (6.1.3.4) does not match the NIM master's level (7.1.1.2).... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sciacca75
2 Replies

5. AIX

AIX How to exchange hostname and IP address between two AIX servers?

Hi all, I am trying to exchange hostname and IP address of two AIX machines. But i am confused as how to change it ? do i need to use "smitty mktcpip" or "smitty tcpip" ? what is the difference between smitty mktcpip and smitty tcpip ? Also anymore steps to follow or just updating... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lramsb4u
3 Replies

6. AIX

Will it affect my AIX LPAR security, when i set up email alerts on AIX server.

Hello, I've set up email alerts on AIX Servers. so that i can get email notifications (via mail relay server) when ever there is abnormal behavior. for example 1) my script monitors CPU/disk/memory etc... when it reaches high water ark, it will send an email alert. 2) disk usage alerts 3)... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: System Admin 77
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

New to AIX: How do I setup high availability on an AIX System

I am new to AIX but not new to unix. I have an interview for an AIX systems admin position and I know they want someone who has knowledge of High Availability, Failover and LPARs From my research so far, It appear powerha is used to setup high availability and failover on Power systems but is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mathisecure
2 Replies

8. AIX

Samba 3.6 on AIX 7.1 - Windows 10 Access to AIX file shares using Active Directory authentication

I am running AIX 7.1 and currently we have samba 3.6.25 installed on the server. As it stands some AIX folders are shared that can be accessed by certain Windows users. The problem is that since Windows 10 the guest feature no longer works so users have to manually type in their Windows login/pwd... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxsnake
14 Replies
reboot(1M)																reboot(1M)

NAME
reboot - restart the operating system SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/reboot [-dlnq] [boot_arguments] The reboot utility restarts the kernel. The kernel is loaded into memory by the PROM monitor, which transfers control to the loaded kernel. Although reboot can be run by the super-user at any time, shutdown(1M) is normally used first to warn all users logged in of the impending loss of service. See shutdown(1M) for details. The reboot utility performs a sync(1M) operation on the disks, and then a multi-user reboot is initiated. See init(1M) for details. On systems, reboot may also update the boot archive as needed to ensure a successful reboot. The reboot utility normally logs the reboot to the system log daemon, syslogd(1M), and places a shutdown record in the login accounting file /var/adm/wtmpx. These actions are inhibited if the -n or -q options are present. Normally, the system reboots itself at power-up or after crashes. The following options are supported: -d Force a system crash dump before rebooting. See dumpadm(1M) for information on configuring system crash dumps. -l Suppress sending a message to the system log daemon, syslogd(1M) about who executed reboot. -n Avoid calling sync(2) and do not log the reboot to syslogd(1M) or to /var/adm/wtmpx. The kernel still attempts to sync filesystems prior to reboot, except if the -d option is also present. If -d is used with -n, the kernel does not attempt to sync filesystems. -q Quick. Reboot quickly and ungracefully, without shutting down running processes first. The following operands are supported: boot_arguments An optional boot_arguments specifies arguments to the uadmin(2) function that are passed to the boot program and kernel upon restart. The form and list of arguments is described in the boot(1M) and kernel(1M) man pages.. If the arguments are specified, whitespace between them is replaced by single spaces unless the whitespace is quoted for the shell. If the boot_arguments begin with a hyphen, they must be preceded by the -- delimiter (two hyphens) to denote the end of the reboot argument list. Example 1: Passing the -r and -v Arguments to boot In the following example, the delimiter -- (two hyphens) must be used to separate the options of reboot from the arguments of boot(1M). example# reboot -dl -- -rv Example 2: Rebooting Using a Specific Disk and Kernel The following example reboots using a specific disk and kernel. example# reboot disk1 kernel.test/unix /var/adm/wtmpx login accounting file See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ mdb(1), boot(1M), dumpadm(1M), fsck(1M), halt(1M), init(1M), kernel(1M), shutdown(1M), sync(1M), syslogd(1M), sync(2), uadmin(2), reboot(3C), attributes(5) The reboot utility does not execute the scripts in /etc/rcnum.d or execute shutdown actions in inittab(4). To ensure a complete shutdown of system services, use shutdown(1M) or init(1M) to reboot a Solaris system. 11 Apr 2005 reboot(1M)