Sponsored Content
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? New UNIX and Linux History Sections Post 303035522 by Neo on Monday 27th of May 2019 07:32:08 AM
Old 05-27-2019
Update:
(11 down, maybe 89 more to go...)

Added Linus Torvalds and a rough list of various Unix-like flavors, and simplified the PHP plugin:

Code:
<?php
$rand = mt_rand(0, 10);

$flavs = array(
    'unix_linux_history',
    'linux_unix_history',
    'red_hat_history', 
    'ubuntu_history', 
    'gnu_history', 
    'man_page_history',
    'ken_thompson_history', 
    'dennis_ritchie_history', 
    'linus_torvalds_history', 
    'unix_flavors_history',
    'brian_kernighan_history');

$flav = $flavs["$rand"];
eval('$history_div_for_users = "' . fetch_template($flav) . '";');

Note:

You can easily see these "historical sections" on any tags search result at the bottom of the page; for example linux:

Code:
https://www.unix.com/tags/linux.html

Just reload the page to view the various random "historical" entries.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix History Question: Why are filenames/dirnames case sentsitive in Unix?

I tried looking for the answer online and came up with only a few semi-answers as to why file and directory names are case sensitive in Unix. Right off the bat, I'll say this doesn't bother me. But I run into tons of Windows and OpenVMS admins in my day job who go batty when they have to deal... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: deckard
3 Replies

2. Solaris

unix command history

is there any way to determine the last command entered on a unix machine??? Thanx (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mm00123
3 Replies

3. SuSE

Linux SuSE 10 - Disable Unsuccessful Login History.

When we login to any remote connections in SuSE Linux, say for example, telnet , the following line is displayed "Last Login : Date and time is displayed" I would like to disable this. In SuSE 9, I could find the solution . Please suggest me a solution to disable the line displayed for SuSE... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Laksmi
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

stop users from running 'history -c' in Linux

Hi All, My question is how can i stop my users on system from deleting their history. How can i stop the users from running 'history -c'. I have searched thoroughly on the forum but didn't find any satisfactory solution to the problem. kindly help if you any suggestions Thanx in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: xander
3 Replies

5. UNIX and Linux Applications

Unix History

Hi everybody Im Megadrink!!! This is my first thred. Ive recently been introduced to Unix and i was interested in Unix's History. Can anyone give me a breif History On Unix. Just when it was invented/released. Maybe someother cool things about it. Thx for the information in advance!! :D (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Megadrink
2 Replies

6. Linux

History of executed command in Linux

Hi All, Is there a way to check command executed by users in Linux for a specific date? I know we can use history, but it doesn't shows yesterday's executed commands. rgds, (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ronny_nch
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to clear history in Linux

Hello All, Good Morning. I am trying to erase history list in my linux box, but my below command is failing. What is the actual way to clear it? > history clear -bash: history: clear: numeric argument required Also when I run my commands in my command prompt, my team lead can see my... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: NARESH1302
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

History file in UNIX

commands to view the history file in unix. I am not sure whether it is bash_history.sh (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ramkumar15
1 Replies

9. What is on Your Mind?

The Great History of UNIX (1969-1999) | 30 Years of UNIX History | YouTube Video

I am pleased to announce this new video in 1080 HD for UNIX lovers honoring thirty years of UNIX history spanning from 1969 to 1999 presented in 150 seconds (two and a half minutes) in 1080 HD, celebrating the 50th anniversary of UNIX. The Great History of UNIX (1969-1999) | 30 Years of UNIX... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to find out and monitor IO spikes history in Linux?

hello all i have application which according to AWS monitoring is reaching to high spikes of IO at random time . and causing the server to crash and restart . my question is how can i find out what cause the spike and if i can't with the native linux tools what free open source minimon... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
6 Replies
WINBIND_KRB5_LOCATOR(7) 						 7						   WINBIND_KRB5_LOCATOR(7)

NAME
winbind_krb5_locator - A plugin for MIT and Heimdal Kerberos for detecting KDCs using Windows semantics. DESCRIPTION
This plugin is part of the samba(7) suite. winbind_krb5_locator is a plugin that permits MIT and Heimdal Kerberos libraries to detect Kerberos Servers (for the KDC and kpasswd service) using the same semantics that other tools of the Samba suite use. This include site-aware DNS service record lookups and caching of closest dc. The plugin uses the public locator API provided by most modern Kerberos implementations. PREREQUISITES
MIT Kerberos (at least version 1.5) or Heimdal Kerberos (at least version 1.0) is required. The plugin queries the winbindd(8) daemon which needs to be configured and started separately. The winbind_krb5_locator.so file needs to be manually copied to the plugin directory of the system Kerberos library. For MIT Kerberos this is often: /usr/lib/krb5/plugins/libkrb5/. For Heimdal Kerberos this is often: /usr/lib/plugin/krb5/. Please check your local Kerberos installation for the correct paths. No modification in /etc/krb5.conf is required to enable the use of this plugin. After copying the locator plugin to the appropriate plugin directory it should immediately be available for use. Users should be able to kinit into their kerberized Windows environment without any modification or servers being put manually into /etc/krb5.conf. VERSION
This man page is correct for version 3 of the Samba suite. AUTHOR
The original Samba software and related utilities were created by Andrew Tridgell. Samba is now developed by the Samba Team as an Open Source project similar to the way the Linux kernel is developed. The winbind_krb5_locator manpage was written by Guenther Deschner. Samba 4.0 06/17/2014 WINBIND_KRB5_LOCATOR(7)