Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Climate change anyone?
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Climate change anyone? Post 303035504 by Neo on Sunday 26th of May 2019 10:14:40 PM
Old 05-26-2019
It's unlikely, in my view, that optimism and hope will overcome greed and selfishness to avert sustained damage to planet Earth.

Most of the world is still mired in corruption and poverty.

The majority of the people on the planet dislike or even hate others who do not agree with their world views.

Populism and nationalism and various forms of racism and extremism are predictably on the rise globally.

These are all symptoms of a world which is in social and economic decline (economic decline for the majority on the planet, not the few wealthy at the "top").

In a world which is in social and economic decline, the wealth is consolidated into the hands of fewer and fewer people, and the poor are exploited by the rich, and the rich are mostly interested in getting richer. The poor become poorer and the social-economic class struggles continue.

Under these realistic circumstances, it seems like a fantasy to me to believe that the terrible effects of pollution, and the rise of misinformation, populism, racism and nationalism are going to change humankind so they will "rise up and save the world" from the disastrous effects of climate change and the politics of racism, hatred and division.

I hope I am wrong; but if I had to bet large money on the outcome and could live long enough to see the results of the wager, the odds seems overwhelming in favor of a dystopian future for Planet Earth.

Honestly, this is "real life" and not a movie where at the end some hero or small group of superheroes are going to fly in and save the planet against all odds. This is not "Avengers End Game" or a Star Wars movie. This is real life with real pollution, industrial waste, greed, selfishness, corruption, materialism, consumerism, nationalism, racism, misinformation, disinformation and all the other things which are like a cancer eating away at our world.
This User Gave Thanks to Neo For This Post:

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Cybersecurity

How to change ip ?

hi , Is there anyway to change ip on sco5.04 i tried using netconfig on the prompt but gives me error . how do u manually change ip cant use acoadmin and netconfig .... thx art (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: art_malabanan
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

change 43% to 43.5

I have a column in % and I want to display it as a one decimal place number for sorting - what function would I be looking at for dropping the % sign? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nortypig
2 Replies

3. Homework & Coursework Questions

change

bh,lg.yu.,fgh,ry,.tyl,tyk,ty,ty,ty,. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: frankycool
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh; Change file permissions, update file, change permissions back?

Hi, I am creating a ksh script to search for a string of text inside files within a directory tree. Some of these file are going to be read/execute only. I know to use chmod to change the permissions of the file, but I want to preserve the original permissions after writing to the file. How can I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: right_coaster
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change the content of files but not change the date

I have 100 files in a directory , all the files have a word "error" and they are created in different date . Now I would like to change the word from "error" to "warning" , and keep the date of the files ( that means do not change the file creation date after change the word ) , can advise what can... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ust3
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change the content of files but not change the date

I have 100 files in a directory , all the files have a word "error" and they are created in different date . Now I would like to change the word from "error" to "warning" , and keep the date of the files ( that means do not change the file creation date after change the word ) , can advise what can... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ust3
7 Replies

7. SCO

How to change raid controller driver ? (hardware change)

Hello I'm trying to virtualize an instance of Sco Unix 5.0.5 in VirtualBox (called VM-A) , but sco I have problems set to launch with the new raid controller . The physical machine has a raid controller adaptec (alad driver) but VirtualBox uses buslogic (blc driver) What ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: flako
3 Replies
GIT-REVIEW(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 					     GIT-REVIEW(1)

NAME
git-review -- Submit changes to Gerrit for review SYNOPSIS
git-review [-r remote] [-uv] -d change [branch] git-review [-r remote] [-fnuv] -s [branch] git-review [-fnuvDR] [-r remote] [-t topic] [branch] git-review --version DESCRIPTION
git-review automates and streamlines some of the tasks involved with submitting local changes to a Gerrit server for review. It is designed to make it easier to apprehend Gerrit, especially for users that have recently switched to Git from another version control system. The following options are available: -d change, --download=change Download change from Gerrit into a local branch. The branch will be named after the patch author and the name of a topic. If the local branch already exists, it will attempt to update with the latest patchset for this change. -f, --finish Close down the local branch and switch back to the target branch on successful submission. -n, --dry-run Don't actually perform any commands that have direct effects. Print them instead. -r remote, --remote=remote Git remote to use for Gerrit. -s, --setup Just run the repo setup commands but don't submit anything. -t topic, --topic=topic Sets the target topic for this change on the gerrit server. If not specified, a bug number from the commit summary will be used. Alternatively, the local branch name will be used if different from remote branch. -u, --update Skip cached local copies and force updates from network resources. -l, --list List the available reviews on the gerrit server for this project. -y, --yes Indicate that you do, in fact, understand if you are submitting more than one patch. -v --verbose Turns on more verbose output. -D, --draft Submit review as a draft. Requires Gerrit 2.3 or newer. -R, --no-rebase Do not automatically perform a rebase before submitting the change to Gerrit. When submitting a change for review, you will usually want it to be based on the tip of upstream branch in order to avoid possible conflicts. When amending a change and rebasing the new patchset, the Gerrit web interface will show a difference between the two patchsets which contains all commits in between. This may confuse many reviewers that would expect to see a much simpler difference. --version Print the version number and exit. FILES
To use git-review with your project, it is recommended that you create a file at the root of the repository named .gitreview and place infor- mation about your gerrit installation in it. The format is similar to the Windows .ini file format: [gerrit] host=hostname port=TCP port number of gerrit project=project name defaultbranch=branch to work on It is also possible to specify optional default name for the Git remote using the defaultremote configuration parameter. Setting defaultrebase to zero will make git-review not to rebase changes by default (same as the -R command line option) [gerrit] host=review.example.com port=29418 project=department/project.git defaultbranch=master defaultremote=review defaultrebase=0 EXAMPLES
To fetch a remote change number 3004: $ git-review -d 3004 Downloading refs/changes/04/3004/1 from gerrit into review/someone/topic_name Switched to branch 'review/someone/topic_name $ git branch master * review/author/topic_name Gerrit looks up both name of the author and the topic name from Gerrit to name a local branch. This facilitates easier identification of changes. To send a change for review and delete local branch afterwards: $ git-review -f remote: Resolving deltas: 0% (0/8) To ssh://username@review.example.com/departement/project.git * [new branch] HEAD -> refs/for/master/topic_name Switched to branch 'master' Deleted branch 'review/someone/topic_name' $ git branch * master An example .gitreview configuration file for a project department/project hosted on review.example.com port 29418 in the branch master : [gerrit] host=review.example.com port=29418 project=department/project.git defaultbranch=master BUGS
Bug reports can be submitted to https://launchpad.net/git-review AUTHORS
git-review is maintained by OpenStack, LLC This manpage has been enhanced by: Antoine Musso <hashar@free.fr> Marcin Cieslak <saper@saper.info> April 4th, 2012