Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Climate change anyone?
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Climate change anyone? Post 303035504 by Neo on Sunday 26th of May 2019 10:14:40 PM
Old 05-26-2019
It's unlikely, in my view, that optimism and hope will overcome greed and selfishness to avert sustained damage to planet Earth.

Most of the world is still mired in corruption and poverty.

The majority of the people on the planet dislike or even hate others who do not agree with their world views.

Populism and nationalism and various forms of racism and extremism are predictably on the rise globally.

These are all symptoms of a world which is in social and economic decline (economic decline for the majority on the planet, not the few wealthy at the "top").

In a world which is in social and economic decline, the wealth is consolidated into the hands of fewer and fewer people, and the poor are exploited by the rich, and the rich are mostly interested in getting richer. The poor become poorer and the social-economic class struggles continue.

Under these realistic circumstances, it seems like a fantasy to me to believe that the terrible effects of pollution, and the rise of misinformation, populism, racism and nationalism are going to change humankind so they will "rise up and save the world" from the disastrous effects of climate change and the politics of racism, hatred and division.

I hope I am wrong; but if I had to bet large money on the outcome and could live long enough to see the results of the wager, the odds seems overwhelming in favor of a dystopian future for Planet Earth.

Honestly, this is "real life" and not a movie where at the end some hero or small group of superheroes are going to fly in and save the planet against all odds. This is not "Avengers End Game" or a Star Wars movie. This is real life with real pollution, industrial waste, greed, selfishness, corruption, materialism, consumerism, nationalism, racism, misinformation, disinformation and all the other things which are like a cancer eating away at our world.
This User Gave Thanks to Neo For This Post:

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Cybersecurity

How to change ip ?

hi , Is there anyway to change ip on sco5.04 i tried using netconfig on the prompt but gives me error . how do u manually change ip cant use acoadmin and netconfig .... thx art (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: art_malabanan
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

change 43% to 43.5

I have a column in % and I want to display it as a one decimal place number for sorting - what function would I be looking at for dropping the % sign? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nortypig
2 Replies

3. Homework & Coursework Questions

change

bh,lg.yu.,fgh,ry,.tyl,tyk,ty,ty,ty,. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: frankycool
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh; Change file permissions, update file, change permissions back?

Hi, I am creating a ksh script to search for a string of text inside files within a directory tree. Some of these file are going to be read/execute only. I know to use chmod to change the permissions of the file, but I want to preserve the original permissions after writing to the file. How can I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: right_coaster
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change the content of files but not change the date

I have 100 files in a directory , all the files have a word "error" and they are created in different date . Now I would like to change the word from "error" to "warning" , and keep the date of the files ( that means do not change the file creation date after change the word ) , can advise what can... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ust3
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change the content of files but not change the date

I have 100 files in a directory , all the files have a word "error" and they are created in different date . Now I would like to change the word from "error" to "warning" , and keep the date of the files ( that means do not change the file creation date after change the word ) , can advise what can... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ust3
7 Replies

7. SCO

How to change raid controller driver ? (hardware change)

Hello I'm trying to virtualize an instance of Sco Unix 5.0.5 in VirtualBox (called VM-A) , but sco I have problems set to launch with the new raid controller . The physical machine has a raid controller adaptec (alad driver) but VirtualBox uses buslogic (blc driver) What ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: flako
3 Replies
BlenderImport(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation					BlenderImport(3pm)

NAME
XRacer::BlenderImport - Import files exported by xracer-blenderexport.py SYNOPSIS
use XRacer::BlenderImport; $world = parse XRacer::BlenderImport [ $filename ]; $index = $world->add_vertex ($vertex); $verticesref = $world->get_vertices; %layerinfo = $world->get_layer_info; @objects = $world->get_meshes_in_layer ($layer); DESCRIPTION
The "XRacer::BlenderImport" module contains functions for importing special XRacer-specific Blender files into Perl scripts. These Blender files have been previously exported by the "xracer-blenderexport.py" Python script for Blender. The "XRacer::BlenderImport" module parses the "blender.export" file, cleans it up (removing multiple vertices, for example) and presents an internal world representation. The world is divided into layers (corresponding to the layers in the original Blender image), and in each of these layers is a set of meshes. FUNDAMENTAL TYPES Vertices are stored in a global list, so that common vertices are only stored once. A vertex structure looks like this: $vertex = { coords => [ $x, $y, $z, 0 ], texcoords => [ $u, $v ], normal => [ $nx, $ny, $nz, 0 ], colour => [ $r, $g, $b, $a ] }; The fields are (in order): the coordinates of the vertex, the texture coordinates, the normal vector at this point and the colour of the vertex. Faces are stored simply as a list of vertex indices (relative to the global list of vertices). A face looks like this: $face = { vertices => [ $index0, $index1, $index2, ... ] } Faces have at least three vertices, and maybe more. A mesh is a list of faces and additional information, such as the name of the mesh (object). A mesh structure looks like this: $mesh = { name => $name, layer => $layer, faces => @faces, material => [ $red, $green, $blue ], has_colours => $has_colours, has_texcoords => $has_texcoords, has_material => $has_material }; The fields are: the name of the mesh (or object), the layer on which the object exists, the list of faces, the material and then three flags which are passed to us from Blender: did the user supply vertex colours? did the user supply texture coordinates? and did the user supply a material? CLASS METHODS
$world = parse XRacer::BlenderImport [ $filename ]; Parse the import file $filename (or "blender.export" if no filename is given) and generate a world representation. If the file could not be parsed, then this function will print an error message and return "undef". OBJECT METHODS
$index = $world->add_vertex ($vertex) This function adds a single vertex to the world object (vertices are stored in a large shared list so that common vertices are folded into one). It returns the vertex index of the new vertex. If another vertex with the same position, texture coordinates, normal and colour existed, then this function would return the index of the other vertex, rather than creating a fresh vertex object. $verticesref = $world->get_vertices This returns a reference to the global list of vertices. You must not update or change this list. Use the "add_vertex" method instead. %layerinfo = $world->get_layer_info This method returns a hash. The keys of the hash are layers which contain at least one object. The values of the hash are the number of objects in that layer. For example, if the world contained 3 objects on layer 1, 1 object on layer 2 and 4 objects on layer 5, then the hash returned would be equivalent to: %layerinfo = ( 1 => 3, 2 => 1, 5 => 4 ); @objects = $world->get_meshes_in_layer ($layer) Get a list of the objects (i.e. meshes) found in layer $layer. See the DESCRIPTION section above for a description of the mesh structure. AUTHOR
Richard W.M. Jones, <rich@annexia.org> COPYRIGHT
XRacer is copyright (C) 1999-2000 Richard W.M. Jones (rich@annexia.org) and other contributors listed in the AUTHORS file. SEE ALSO
perl(1), xracer(6). perl v5.14.2 2000-01-30 BlenderImport(3pm)