Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Climate change anyone?
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Climate change anyone? Post 303035440 by stomp on Friday 24th of May 2019 04:59:37 AM
Old 05-24-2019
Hi Neo,

thanks again for your sincere/serious participation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
...not realistic...
Well, the task we are confronted with is huge beyond imagination. It regularly knocks me off my feet. What I'm giving is so little, I can not ever hope to move a thing.

But for me this is not about being realistic, it's about having faith and vision. Scott Peck wrote: With a humanist and rational mindset you can make a living and form a great society when times are good. But when you are at the abyss you have to believe that there's some greater force that you participate in, to act even if there seems to be no hope.

It may be only a tv series what I quote now, but one episode touched me deeply: Deep Space Nine. There were some crazy hyperintelligent scientists. Crazy and therefore being locked up to not do any harm. In the episode they solved tremendous tasks but when confronted with the No. 1 enemy of the show the calculated that it is not possible to win. The foe is far too strong. Since Cpt. Cisco is the chosen one - he refused to accept that realistic view. He had faith and did anything he could do and as it is a tv show - it all went good with the support of the prophets.

Does anyone of you really know that it impossible to avoid climate change? Is anyone of you so intelligent that you KNOW that? Are all of you so afraid of failing, so you deny trying? The Incredably able and enourmously competent tech engineers?

That's what I like about Hans-Josef Fell, what inspires me. He has such an immensely strong vision.. He has faith and he's years ahead of me in thinking where the path leads to. What could be done. I saw that once, when I watched him, when I was younger and I see it now as I'm again watching his activities.

It's a mindset shift from the very sad things that are really happening towards what we can achieve.

Quote:
...the world is lot larger than little germany...
Yes of course it is. I do know little about the world. That's true. Some of what you say is also true.

When I look at the numbers, of top emitters of carbon dioxide are these:

* USA
* China
* Europe
* India

USA is a rich country. They can do it. Same goes for Europe. Both can do if the will is there.

China is a huge emitter too. But they are the number one in terms of driving climate protection and renewable energies. It's a political system and an evil "treatment" of people, of mass surveillance, of suppression and of killing people in large numbers they consider as undesired or a threat. That's one of the other real problems, that causes a lot of fear within me. But in terms of the climate goal, they're absolutely in.

India is very big country, with huge number of people and a - so far - relatively low footprint of emission. If the wealth of india with its enourmous population will rise, emissions will rise strongly with them. That's indeed a problem.

What regards the many other regions and countries: Yes, people are dying and starving there. They
already live with the effect of climate change. The escape their homes because they can not live there any more and try to get a living thousands of miles away.

The rich and privileged countries(=we) are called to help, to share technologies, to invest money.(In brazil they're absolutely crazy slashing and burning even more huge amounts of rainforest. They must have a living so they do it. The world could buy that to protect these invaluable resources) It's nothing that can be done at an individual level. It's a matter of the community of all countries of the earth that have to be formed and need to act as one. The rich and privileged countries must lead. We must lead, because we are the ones that have most responsibility in that mess.

The technology is there. If the will is there too, incredible things can be done, like the reversing of the desertification on a global scale to get carbon dioxide out of the atmosphere. 100% Renewable Energies is more than just possible.

And about that Germany bubble thing: Fell has lots of hope too. And that's not because looking to germany. If you look only at germany, you may get deeply depressed and need a stronger faith than everywhere else, because of the lack of action in this country. His hope comes from other parts of the world, where the things are really brought forward. One way of thinking about the change is that it costs so much money. Another way Fell introduces is: If you enable the rules for the right things - structures can emerge that help everybody. I can bring some evidences or examples of this if you like.

The video

What's regarding the video: I'm trying to be as attentive as possible to detect such manipulations. In doing so, I'm watching myself and my emotions when I consume something. Where does it lead me? To truth? To aggression towards others(individuals,groups,...)? To energy? To apathy? The person who talks in the video is speaking the truth. He points with the finger into the wound of the climate change problem of inactivity of the goverment. And that's the important part of the thing. What regards manipulation: I hope they get me not too often ;-)

Statement

The chinese blockbuster "A wandering earth" may or may not be some sort of propaganda too. But it show's what's needed: A civilization that's working together in the face of extinction. And then things of unimagined scale may happen.

Last edited by stomp; 05-24-2019 at 06:51 AM..
These 2 Users Gave Thanks to stomp For This Post:

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Cybersecurity

How to change ip ?

hi , Is there anyway to change ip on sco5.04 i tried using netconfig on the prompt but gives me error . how do u manually change ip cant use acoadmin and netconfig .... thx art (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: art_malabanan
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

change 43% to 43.5

I have a column in % and I want to display it as a one decimal place number for sorting - what function would I be looking at for dropping the % sign? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nortypig
2 Replies

3. Homework & Coursework Questions

change

bh,lg.yu.,fgh,ry,.tyl,tyk,ty,ty,ty,. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: frankycool
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh; Change file permissions, update file, change permissions back?

Hi, I am creating a ksh script to search for a string of text inside files within a directory tree. Some of these file are going to be read/execute only. I know to use chmod to change the permissions of the file, but I want to preserve the original permissions after writing to the file. How can I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: right_coaster
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change the content of files but not change the date

I have 100 files in a directory , all the files have a word "error" and they are created in different date . Now I would like to change the word from "error" to "warning" , and keep the date of the files ( that means do not change the file creation date after change the word ) , can advise what can... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ust3
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change the content of files but not change the date

I have 100 files in a directory , all the files have a word "error" and they are created in different date . Now I would like to change the word from "error" to "warning" , and keep the date of the files ( that means do not change the file creation date after change the word ) , can advise what can... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ust3
7 Replies

7. SCO

How to change raid controller driver ? (hardware change)

Hello I'm trying to virtualize an instance of Sco Unix 5.0.5 in VirtualBox (called VM-A) , but sco I have problems set to launch with the new raid controller . The physical machine has a raid controller adaptec (alad driver) but VirtualBox uses buslogic (blc driver) What ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: flako
3 Replies