Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions Values rotation in array with bash Post 303035341 by MadeInGermany on Tuesday 21st of May 2019 03:03:03 PM
Old 05-21-2019
Comment on the previous solution: it allows echo ${array[-i]} because the =( ) splits on IFS i.e. space and newline.

If there is a cyclic shift, the % operator (modulo) is nice!
The following allows a very big (and even negative) shift:

Code:
# print array[ ] right-shifted by n
print_array_shifted(){
  local len=${#array[@]}
  local start=$((10*len-n))
  local end=$((start+len))
  local i
  for ((i=start; i<end; i++))
  do
    echo "${array[i%len]}"
  done
}

echo " Original array : ${array[*]}"
array=( $(print_array_shifted) )
echo " Array shifted : ${array[*]}"

Last edited by MadeInGermany; 05-27-2019 at 01:24 PM.. Reason: 10*len because bash-3 does not allow negative index
These 2 Users Gave Thanks to MadeInGermany For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

PHP: Search Multi-Dimensional(nested) array and export values of currenly worked on array.

Hi All, I'm writing a nagios check that will see if our ldap servers are in sync... I got the status data into a nested array, I would like to search key of each array and if "OK" is NOT present, echo other key=>values in the current array to a variable so...eg...let take the single array... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zeekblack
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Greping array values in Bash like Perl

Hi, Is there an easy way to simulate following Perl code in Bash. if ( grep {$my_value eq $_} @ARGV ){ print "Do Something\n"; } else { die "Invalid value"; } (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: paragkalra
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Passing values from file into array in Bash

Hi, I'm trying to write a bash script that takes a file and passes each line from the file into an array with elements separated by column. For example: Sample file "file1.txt": 1 name1 a first 2 name2 b second 3 name3 c third and have arrays such as: line1 = ( "1" "name1" "a"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ShiGua
3 Replies

4. Red Hat

Values in array are not able to be used one by one

hey,i stored the value of an sql query in an array and then tried to use that value in while loop. actually my array will have two or more values, then according to the values i have to display result. #!/bin/bash -xv val_1=$( sqlplus -s rte/rted1@rel75d1 << EOF set heading off select... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ramsavi
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash 3.2 - Array / Regex - IF 3rd member in array ends in 5 digits then do somthing...

Trying to do some control flow parsing based on the index postion of an array member. Here is the pseudo code I am trying to write in (preferably in pure bash) where possible. I am thinking regex with do the trick, but need a little help. pesudo code if == ENDSINFIVEINTS ]]; then do... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: briandanielz
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find the X highest values in a list depending on the values of another list with bash/awk?

Hi everyone, This is an exemple of inpout.txt file (a "," delimited text file which can be open as csv file): ID, Code, Value, Store SP|01, AABBCDE, 15, 3 SP|01, AABBCDE, 14, 2 SP|01, AABBCDF, 13, 2 SP|01, AABBCDE, 16, 3 SP|02, AABBCED, 15, 2 SP|01, AABBCDF, 12, 3 SP|01, AABBCDD,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jeremy589
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash arrays: rebin/interpolate smaller array to large array

hello, i need a bit of help on how to do this effectively in bash without a lot of extra looping or massive switch/case i have a long array of M elements and a short array of N elements, so M > N always. M is not a multiple of N. for case 1, I want to stretch N to fit M arrayHuge H = (... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: f77hack
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Array connectin to another Array

Hello, i have a script that i need account_number to match a name. for exsample : ACCOUNT_ID=(IatHG8DC7mZbdymSoOr11w KbnlG2j-KRQ0-1_Xk356s8) and i run a loop curl requst with this the issue is that i want to know on which account were talking about so bash will know this : ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: batchenr
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Values rotation in array with bash

Hello :) I created a little script that allow to make a rotation of values in an array. The goal was to shift the values to the right and that the last value of the array became the first value in order to create a rotation. The purpose of the exercice was to do it without using a temporary... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nexy
3 Replies
ArrayLabels(3)							   OCaml library						    ArrayLabels(3)

NAME
ArrayLabels - Array operations. Module Module ArrayLabels Documentation Module ArrayLabels : sig end Array operations. val length : 'a array -> int Return the length (number of elements) of the given array. val get : 'a array -> int -> 'a Array.get a n returns the element number n of array a . The first element has number 0. The last element has number Array.length a - 1 . You can also write a.(n) instead of Array.get a n . Raise Invalid_argument index out of bounds if n is outside the range 0 to (Array.length a - 1) . val set : 'a array -> int -> 'a -> unit Array.set a n x modifies array a in place, replacing element number n with x . You can also write a.(n) <- x instead of Array.set a n x . Raise Invalid_argument index out of bounds if n is outside the range 0 to Array.length a - 1 . val make : int -> 'a -> 'a array Array.make n x returns a fresh array of length n , initialized with x . All the elements of this new array are initially physically equal to x (in the sense of the == predicate). Consequently, if x is mutable, it is shared among all elements of the array, and modifying x through one of the array entries will modify all other entries at the same time. Raise Invalid_argument if n < 0 or n > Sys.max_array_length . If the value of x is a floating-point number, then the maximum size is only Sys.max_array_length / 2 . val create : int -> 'a -> 'a array Deprecated. Array.create is an alias for ArrayLabels.make . val init : int -> f:(int -> 'a) -> 'a array Array.init n f returns a fresh array of length n , with element number i initialized to the result of f i . In other terms, Array.init n f tabulates the results of f applied to the integers 0 to n-1 . Raise Invalid_argument if n < 0 or n > Sys.max_array_length . If the return type of f is float , then the maximum size is only Sys.max_array_length / 2 . val make_matrix : dimx:int -> dimy:int -> 'a -> 'a array array Array.make_matrix dimx dimy e returns a two-dimensional array (an array of arrays) with first dimension dimx and second dimension dimy . All the elements of this new matrix are initially physically equal to e . The element ( x,y ) of a matrix m is accessed with the notation m.(x).(y) . Raise Invalid_argument if dimx or dimy is negative or greater than Sys.max_array_length . If the value of e is a floating-point number, then the maximum size is only Sys.max_array_length / 2 . val create_matrix : dimx:int -> dimy:int -> 'a -> 'a array array Deprecated. Array.create_matrix is an alias for ArrayLabels.make_matrix . val append : 'a array -> 'a array -> 'a array Array.append v1 v2 returns a fresh array containing the concatenation of the arrays v1 and v2 . val concat : 'a array list -> 'a array Same as Array.append , but concatenates a list of arrays. val sub : 'a array -> pos:int -> len:int -> 'a array Array.sub a start len returns a fresh array of length len , containing the elements number start to start + len - 1 of array a . Raise Invalid_argument Array.sub if start and len do not designate a valid subarray of a ; that is, if start < 0 , or len < 0 , or start + len > Array.length a . val copy : 'a array -> 'a array Array.copy a returns a copy of a , that is, a fresh array containing the same elements as a . val fill : 'a array -> pos:int -> len:int -> 'a -> unit Array.fill a ofs len x modifies the array a in place, storing x in elements number ofs to ofs + len - 1 . Raise Invalid_argument Array.fill if ofs and len do not designate a valid subarray of a . val blit : src:'a array -> src_pos:int -> dst:'a array -> dst_pos:int -> len:int -> unit Array.blit v1 o1 v2 o2 len copies len elements from array v1 , starting at element number o1 , to array v2 , starting at element number o2 . It works correctly even if v1 and v2 are the same array, and the source and destination chunks overlap. Raise Invalid_argument Array.blit if o1 and len do not designate a valid subarray of v1 , or if o2 and len do not designate a valid subar- ray of v2 . val to_list : 'a array -> 'a list Array.to_list a returns the list of all the elements of a . val of_list : 'a list -> 'a array Array.of_list l returns a fresh array containing the elements of l . val iter : f:('a -> unit) -> 'a array -> unit Array.iter f a applies function f in turn to all the elements of a . It is equivalent to f a.(0); f a.(1); ...; f a.(Array.length a - 1); () . val map : f:('a -> 'b) -> 'a array -> 'b array Array.map f a applies function f to all the elements of a , and builds an array with the results returned by f : [| f a.(0); f a.(1); ...; f a.(Array.length a - 1) |] . val iteri : f:(int -> 'a -> unit) -> 'a array -> unit Same as ArrayLabels.iter , but the function is applied to the index of the element as first argument, and the element itself as second argument. val mapi : f:(int -> 'a -> 'b) -> 'a array -> 'b array Same as ArrayLabels.map , but the function is applied to the index of the element as first argument, and the element itself as second argu- ment. val fold_left : f:('a -> 'b -> 'a) -> init:'a -> 'b array -> 'a Array.fold_left f x a computes f (... (f (f x a.(0)) a.(1)) ...) a.(n-1) , where n is the length of the array a . val fold_right : f:('b -> 'a -> 'a) -> 'b array -> init:'a -> 'a Array.fold_right f a x computes f a.(0) (f a.(1) ( ... (f a.(n-1) x) ...)) , where n is the length of the array a . === Sorting === val sort : cmp:('a -> 'a -> int) -> 'a array -> unit Sort an array in increasing order according to a comparison function. The comparison function must return 0 if its arguments compare as equal, a positive integer if the first is greater, and a negative integer if the first is smaller (see below for a complete specification). For example, Pervasives.compare is a suitable comparison function, provided there are no floating-point NaN values in the data. After calling Array.sort , the array is sorted in place in increasing order. Array.sort is guaranteed to run in constant heap space and (at most) logarithmic stack space. The current implementation uses Heap Sort. It runs in constant stack space. Specification of the comparison function: Let a be the array and cmp the comparison function. The following must be true for all x, y, z in a : - cmp x y > 0 if and only if cmp y x < 0 - if cmp x y >= 0 and cmp y z >= 0 then cmp x z >= 0 When Array.sort returns, a contains the same elements as before, reordered in such a way that for all i and j valid indices of a : - cmp a.(i) a.(j) >= 0 if and only if i >= j val stable_sort : cmp:('a -> 'a -> int) -> 'a array -> unit Same as ArrayLabels.sort , but the sorting algorithm is stable (i.e. elements that compare equal are kept in their original order) and not guaranteed to run in constant heap space. The current implementation uses Merge Sort. It uses n/2 words of heap space, where n is the length of the array. It is usually faster than the current implementation of ArrayLabels.sort . val fast_sort : cmp:('a -> 'a -> int) -> 'a array -> unit Same as Array.sort or Array.stable_sort , whichever is faster on typical input. OCamldoc 2014-06-09 ArrayLabels(3)