Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Climate change anyone?
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Climate change anyone? Post 303035300 by wisecracker on Monday 20th of May 2019 10:15:23 AM
Old 05-20-2019
Hi Neo...
Quote:
Just look at Boeing and their AI system for flight control. That system was put in place and most pilots were not even told about it because Boeing and the civil aviation authorities considered it "not cost effective" or necessary to train the human pilots on Boeing's MCAS system correctly. Then, two Boeing planes crashed because of MCAS, both under the control of the machine (the AI) and many humans lives were lost. This is what happens when corporations put profit and machines above passengers and pilots. They believe that humans cannot fly the plane as well has machines, and so they put the "AI" in control and humans could not override. Still, Boeing makes planes and tweaks their AI. Boeing executives retired and become "the inspectors" and the cycle of human greed and destruction continues.
This does not just apply to current technology, remember the first commercial jet airliner? The "de Havilland Comet". This was a technological achievement in its own right but.......
........the "unknown unknowns" reared its ugly head because the manufacturers "knew better".

However, in my opinion, as mass migrations occur due to loss of land mass this will bring forth a huge rise in nations becoming insular and with it the violent extremes of "all sides" willing to __exterminate__ those trying to edge in on their space, using their food, water and resources.

This will in turn bring the major powers into conflict with each other as alliances start to break apart which could culminate in mass extinctions on a global scale within weeks or months especially with those powers that have nuclear weapons. We are already seeing this with the nation with the largest arsenal in human history flexing its muscles again under the auspices of the [Far] Right Wing in power.

I suspect these scenarios could come far more quickly than an entire global _melt_ down of the polar ice caps...

Maybe I am a pessimist but I fear for my 2.5 year old grandson as he has to face this[these] scenario[s] sooner or later, but it might be too late now let alone in a little over a decade's time...

Barry...
This User Gave Thanks to wisecracker For This Post:

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Cybersecurity

How to change ip ?

hi , Is there anyway to change ip on sco5.04 i tried using netconfig on the prompt but gives me error . how do u manually change ip cant use acoadmin and netconfig .... thx art (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: art_malabanan
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

change 43% to 43.5

I have a column in % and I want to display it as a one decimal place number for sorting - what function would I be looking at for dropping the % sign? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nortypig
2 Replies

3. Homework & Coursework Questions

change

bh,lg.yu.,fgh,ry,.tyl,tyk,ty,ty,ty,. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: frankycool
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh; Change file permissions, update file, change permissions back?

Hi, I am creating a ksh script to search for a string of text inside files within a directory tree. Some of these file are going to be read/execute only. I know to use chmod to change the permissions of the file, but I want to preserve the original permissions after writing to the file. How can I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: right_coaster
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change the content of files but not change the date

I have 100 files in a directory , all the files have a word "error" and they are created in different date . Now I would like to change the word from "error" to "warning" , and keep the date of the files ( that means do not change the file creation date after change the word ) , can advise what can... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ust3
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change the content of files but not change the date

I have 100 files in a directory , all the files have a word "error" and they are created in different date . Now I would like to change the word from "error" to "warning" , and keep the date of the files ( that means do not change the file creation date after change the word ) , can advise what can... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ust3
7 Replies

7. SCO

How to change raid controller driver ? (hardware change)

Hello I'm trying to virtualize an instance of Sco Unix 5.0.5 in VirtualBox (called VM-A) , but sco I have problems set to launch with the new raid controller . The physical machine has a raid controller adaptec (alad driver) but VirtualBox uses buslogic (blc driver) What ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: flako
3 Replies
ssytf2.f(3)							      LAPACK							       ssytf2.f(3)

NAME
ssytf2.f - SYNOPSIS
Functions/Subroutines subroutine ssytf2 (UPLO, N, A, LDA, IPIV, INFO) SSYTF2 Function/Subroutine Documentation subroutine ssytf2 (characterUPLO, integerN, real, dimension( lda, * )A, integerLDA, integer, dimension( * )IPIV, integerINFO) SSYTF2 Purpose: SSYTF2 computes the factorization of a real symmetric matrix A using the Bunch-Kaufman diagonal pivoting method: A = U*D*U**T or A = L*D*L**T where U (or L) is a product of permutation and unit upper (lower) triangular matrices, U**T is the transpose of U, and D is symmetric and block diagonal with 1-by-1 and 2-by-2 diagonal blocks. This is the unblocked version of the algorithm, calling Level 2 BLAS. Parameters: UPLO UPLO is CHARACTER*1 Specifies whether the upper or lower triangular part of the symmetric matrix A is stored: = 'U': Upper triangular = 'L': Lower triangular N N is INTEGER The order of the matrix A. N >= 0. A A is REAL array, dimension (LDA,N) On entry, the symmetric matrix A. If UPLO = 'U', the leading n-by-n upper triangular part of A contains the upper triangular part of the matrix A, and the strictly lower triangular part of A is not referenced. If UPLO = 'L', the leading n-by-n lower triangular part of A contains the lower triangular part of the matrix A, and the strictly upper triangular part of A is not referenced. On exit, the block diagonal matrix D and the multipliers used to obtain the factor U or L (see below for further details). LDA LDA is INTEGER The leading dimension of the array A. LDA >= max(1,N). IPIV IPIV is INTEGER array, dimension (N) Details of the interchanges and the block structure of D. If IPIV(k) > 0, then rows and columns k and IPIV(k) were interchanged and D(k,k) is a 1-by-1 diagonal block. If UPLO = 'U' and IPIV(k) = IPIV(k-1) < 0, then rows and columns k-1 and -IPIV(k) were interchanged and D(k-1:k,k-1:k) is a 2-by-2 diagonal block. If UPLO = 'L' and IPIV(k) = IPIV(k+1) < 0, then rows and columns k+1 and -IPIV(k) were interchanged and D(k:k+1,k:k+1) is a 2-by-2 diagonal block. INFO INFO is INTEGER = 0: successful exit < 0: if INFO = -k, the k-th argument had an illegal value > 0: if INFO = k, D(k,k) is exactly zero. The factorization has been completed, but the block diagonal matrix D is exactly singular, and division by zero will occur if it is used to solve a system of equations. Author: Univ. of Tennessee Univ. of California Berkeley Univ. of Colorado Denver NAG Ltd. Date: November 2011 Further Details: If UPLO = 'U', then A = U*D*U**T, where U = P(n)*U(n)* ... *P(k)U(k)* ..., i.e., U is a product of terms P(k)*U(k), where k decreases from n to 1 in steps of 1 or 2, and D is a block diagonal matrix with 1-by-1 and 2-by-2 diagonal blocks D(k). P(k) is a permutation matrix as defined by IPIV(k), and U(k) is a unit upper triangular matrix, such that if the diagonal block D(k) is of order s (s = 1 or 2), then ( I v 0 ) k-s U(k) = ( 0 I 0 ) s ( 0 0 I ) n-k k-s s n-k If s = 1, D(k) overwrites A(k,k), and v overwrites A(1:k-1,k). If s = 2, the upper triangle of D(k) overwrites A(k-1,k-1), A(k-1,k), and A(k,k), and v overwrites A(1:k-2,k-1:k). If UPLO = 'L', then A = L*D*L**T, where L = P(1)*L(1)* ... *P(k)*L(k)* ..., i.e., L is a product of terms P(k)*L(k), where k increases from 1 to n in steps of 1 or 2, and D is a block diagonal matrix with 1-by-1 and 2-by-2 diagonal blocks D(k). P(k) is a permutation matrix as defined by IPIV(k), and L(k) is a unit lower triangular matrix, such that if the diagonal block D(k) is of order s (s = 1 or 2), then ( I 0 0 ) k-1 L(k) = ( 0 I 0 ) s ( 0 v I ) n-k-s+1 k-1 s n-k-s+1 If s = 1, D(k) overwrites A(k,k), and v overwrites A(k+1:n,k). If s = 2, the lower triangle of D(k) overwrites A(k,k), A(k+1,k), and A(k+1,k+1), and v overwrites A(k+2:n,k:k+1). Contributors: 09-29-06 - patch from Bobby Cheng, MathWorks Replace l.204 and l.372 IF( MAX( ABSAKK, COLMAX ).EQ.ZERO ) THEN by IF( (MAX( ABSAKK, COLMAX ).EQ.ZERO) .OR. SISNAN(ABSAKK) ) THEN 01-01-96 - Based on modifications by J. Lewis, Boeing Computer Services Company A. Petitet, Computer Science Dept., Univ. of Tenn., Knoxville, USA 1-96 - Based on modifications by J. Lewis, Boeing Computer Services Company Definition at line 187 of file ssytf2.f. Author Generated automatically by Doxygen for LAPACK from the source code. Version 3.4.1 Sun May 26 2013 ssytf2.f(3)