Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Limit on number of pipes after long-running command? Post 303035202 by RudiC on Thursday 16th of May 2019 11:41:58 AM
Old 05-16-2019
Might be due to buffering. Try as a zeroth approximation
Code:
xinput test 6 | awk -Winteractive '{print $3}'

This User Gave Thanks to RudiC For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to limit the number of running instances of a script?

I would like to allow only one instance of a script to run at any moment. I've tried the following solution to count the instances but the result is always the number of running instances plus one and I can't find the problem ps -ef | grep $0 | sed '/^$/ d' | sed '/grep/ d' | wc -l Please... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: oti
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Number of long limit

Hi Hi! I'm currently using AIX 5.2 and would like to know where can i find to see that there's a restriction on the number of login times a user can have. Example, I want give a 2 login per user but some one to give 3 login and some one have to give unlit login time (without logging off the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: herath
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting the number of pipes in line

Hi, I'm using the ksh shell. The scenario: I have a couple of directories /home/fd /home/fd/prsd home/fd/stg now i have number of files in each of these directories. some of the files are zipped using gzip so their extension is .gz the content of the files is as follows ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nirnay_s
4 Replies

4. Solaris

How to limit number of Commands

Is there a way that I can limit number of commands that one user can run during period of time. For example Max 10 commands per senconds.:) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: winger0608
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Limit on Number of Cron Jobs Running on one Account

Hello, I have some 150 Cron Jobs running under my UNIX account. I want to add some more jobs. Is there a limit to the number of cron jobs that can be run on an account? Thank you. Pramodini (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pramodini Rode
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

While loop running after reaching limit

Hi frnds i am newbie in linux and trying to write a simple script for adding users.the problem is i am running a while loop under function and loop is running for 3 time more than limit.Here is my Script and output pls help me out : # CREATE N NO. OF USERS WITH PASSWORD IN SYSTEM #... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vaibhav.T
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Limit Number of files

hi guys how can i limit number of files in a disk or partition ? or how can i make a limit to inode number for a disk or partition ? ext3 or ext4 file system (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mhs
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Limit process number in TOP command outupt

Linux top command prints more than 40 processes. top -b -n 1 > Top_Output.txt Is there a straight-forward option/way to limit only till the top 5 processes. ( Instead of using head, tail or other unix commands together) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vikram3.r
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to put a 80 character limit on a long topic line in markdown?

I have a topic line in markdown that spans more than 80 characters that i need to add a line break. Markdown is simply treating the line break as a brand new line instead of continuing as a topic line. Eg: # This is a very long line Markdown interprets it as This is a very long line (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dragonpoint
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk command input string too long, limit

cat filename| awk '{ $1=""; print $0}' in my file there are few lines that has more than 3000 characters per line and as soon as I run the above command it cores, strings core reveals that the awk is failing because input string too long, limit. can i get some help from the experts to find... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: knijjar
8 Replies
SCRIPT(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 SCRIPT(1)

NAME
script -- make typescript of terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [-adkpqr] [-F pipe] [-t time] [file [command ...]] DESCRIPTION
The script utility makes a typescript of everything printed on your terminal. It is useful for students who need a hardcopy record of an interactive session as proof of an assignment, as the typescript file can be printed out later with lpr(1). If the argument file is given, script saves all dialogue in file. If no file name is given, the typescript is saved in the file typescript. If the argument command is given, script will run the specified command with an optional argument vector instead of an interactive shell. The following options are available: -a Append the output to file or typescript, retaining the prior contents. -d When playing back a session with the -p flag, do not sleep between records when playing back a timestamped session. -F pipe Immediately flush output after each write. This will allow a user to create a named pipe using mkfifo(1) and another user may watch the live session using a utility like cat(1). -k Log keys sent to the program as well as output. -p Play back a session recorded with the -r flag in real time. -q Run in quiet mode, omit the start, stop and command status messages. -r Record a session with input, output, and timestamping. -t time Specify the interval at which the script output file will be flushed to disk, in seconds. A value of 0 causes script to flush after every character I/O event. The default interval is 30 seconds. The script ends when the forked shell (or command) exits (a control-D to exit the Bourne shell (sh(1)), and exit, logout or control-D (if ignoreeof is not set) for the C-shell, csh(1)). Certain interactive commands, such as vi(1), create garbage in the typescript file. The script utility works best with commands that do not manipulate the screen. The results are meant to emulate a hardcopy terminal, not an addressable one. ENVIRONMENT
The following environment variables are utilized by script: SCRIPT The SCRIPT environment variable is added to the sub-shell. If SCRIPT already existed in the users environment, its value is overwrit- ten within the sub-shell. The value of SCRIPT is the name of the typescript file. SHELL If the variable SHELL exists, the shell forked by script will be that shell. If SHELL is not set, the Bourne shell is assumed. (Most shells set this variable automatically). SEE ALSO
csh(1) HISTORY
The script command appeared in 3.0BSD. The -d, -p and -r options first appeared in NetBSD 2.0 and were ported to FreeBSD 9.2. BUGS
The script utility places everything in the log file, including linefeeds and backspaces. This is not what the naive user expects. It is not possible to specify a command without also naming the script file because of argument parsing compatibility issues. When running in -k mode, echo cancelling is far from ideal. The slave terminal mode is checked for ECHO mode to check when to avoid manual echo logging. This does not work when the terminal is in a raw mode where the program being run is doing manual echo. If script reads zero bytes from the terminal, it switches to a mode when it only attempts to read once a second until there is data to read. This prevents script from spinning on zero-byte reads, but might cause a 1-second delay in processing of user input. BSD
December 4, 2013 BSD