Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Expand Variables and Wildcards into another variable. Post 303035165 by MadeInGermany on Wednesday 15th of May 2019 02:32:39 PM
Old 05-15-2019
You see the difference with
Code:
echo "$file_path"

The quotes prevent the shell to do word-splitting on command arguments.

ls is an external command. The efficient per-line formatter is printf "%s\n" that 1. is a shell-builtin and 2. does no extra I/O.

What do you want to do with the $file_path?
It can make sense to not expand it too early. For example
Code:
file_path="${output_dir}/*MIGRATE*${city_name}*.out"
for f in $file_path

is smarter than
Code:
file_path=`ls ${output_dir}/*MIGRATE*${city_name}*.out`
for f in $file_path

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can I put wildcards in an if statement that uses variables?

With the if statement: if How can I make it so it accepts a wildcard after the ${CURR_DAY_MONTH} variable? Putting a -f /webtrends/SUN/mrw2/access.${CURR_DAY_DAY}${CURR_DAY_MONTH}* won't work, right? I think I need some kind of special character so it knows the wildcard is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LordJezo
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to seperate a variable in 2 variables

Dear all, i dont know how to split one variable value in 2 variable. please send me any example. variable1= "abcde developer" now i want to seperate the values and seperator is space. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: intikhabalam
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to expand environment variables in a file?

I am new to unix and would appreciate if someone could help. I have an environment variable SourceFilePath=/db1/Src/test set on the unix server. I want to expand this SHELL variable in a file using any command sed, awk etc File contents is as follows: var=$SourceFilePath/file.txt ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: debbie15
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using wildcards in variables in zsh

Probably a stupid question... how do I use a wildcard in a variable in zsh? If I do: var=* echo $var in bash, it will print all files/directories in the current directory. If I do it in zsh, it will only output an asterisk without the wildcard functionality. Thanks in advance! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: RainbowLAr
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

For loop using input file doesn't expand variables

Hi, I'm using a for loop reading from an input file that contains files, whose path includes a variable name. But the for loop doesn't expand the variable and therefore can't find the file. Here's an example: File BACKUPFILES /home/John/alpha /home/Sue/beta... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hesiod
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expand an environment variable in sed, when the variable contains a slash

I'm trying to make a sed substitution where the substitution pattern is an environment variable to be expanded, but the variable contains a "slash". sed -e 's/<HOME_DIRECTORY>/'$HOME'/'This gives me the following error: sed: -e expression #1, char 21: unknown option to `s'Obviously this is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ilja
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

dynamic variables - eval - expand etc.

Hello, so i'm making a script, using dynamic variables and trying to expand them. So far it hasn't worked out too well so it seems that I need some help from you, the elite. Example: #!/bin/sh counter=0 until (($counter>5)) counter2=1 until (($counter2>6)); do if ;... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: TehOne
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to set a variable name from another variables value?

Experts, I want to set value of variables like this in bash shell: i=5 ; L=100 I want variable d5 (that is d(i) ) to be assign the value of $L , d$i=$L ; echo $d5 Not working Thanks., (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rveri
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable variables

Hello, Can you please help here? DAY=$1 MONTH_MONDAY_YEAR = 1 2 3 4 for i in ${MONTH_${DAY}_YEAR} do echo ${i} done ./test.sh MONDAY ./test.sh: line 3: MONTH_MONDAY_YEAR: command not found ./test.sh: line 10: ${MONTH_${DAY}_YEAR}: bad substitution (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vino_hymi
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to handle grepping variable data containing wildcards?

I have a lot of files with keywords and unique names. I'm using a shell script to refer to a simple pattern file with comma separated values in order to match on certain keywords. The problem is that I don't understand how to handle the wildcard values when I want to skip over the unique names. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: abercrom
5 Replies
pwd(1)							      General Commands Manual							    pwd(1)

NAME
pwd - working directory name SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
prints the path name of the working (current) directory. Options recognizes the following options: Display the directory with the name of the symbolic link if any. If the environment variable contains an absolute path name of the current directory that does not contain the file names (dot) or (dot-dot), writes this path name to standard output. Otherwise, the option behaves like the option. Display the actual physical directory path. Directories of symbolic link types are not displayed. If both and are specified, the last one applies. If neither nor is specified, the default option is: from UNIX 2003 environment onwards; see standards(5). otherwise. EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
For information about the UNIX Standard environment, see standards(5). Environment Variables determines the language in which messages are displayed. If is not specified in the environment or is set to the empty string, the value of is used as a default for each unspecified or empty vari- able. If is not specified or is set to the empty string, a default of "C" (see lang(5)) is used instead of If any internationalization variable contains an invalid setting, behaves as if all internationalization variables are set to "C". See environ(5). International Code Set Support Single- and multibyte character code sets are supported. DIAGNOSTICS
Possible file system trouble; contact system administrator. Current directory has been removed (usually by a different process). Use command to move to a valid directory (see cd(1)). EXAMPLES
If your home directory is and the command is executed from the home directory, typing produces the following display: In the following example, a symbolic link, points to the directory. Then the command displays the actual directory: The command displays the directory with the symbolic link: In the following example, there is no symbolic link. The displayed directory is the same for both the and options. AUTHOR
was developed by AT&T and HP. SEE ALSO
cd(1), csh(1), sh(1), sh-posix(1), standards(5). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
pwd(1)