Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Assign a command to a variable - Help Post 303035118 by nezabudka on Wednesday 15th of May 2019 01:13:19 AM
Old 05-15-2019
true way
Code:
SSH_COMMAND="ssh -o ConnectTimeout=2 \$SERVER \$AS_SUDO \$COMMANDS"
eval $SSH_COMMAND

--- Post updated at 08:13 ---

or in single quotes
Code:
SSH_COMMAND='ssh -o ConnectTimeout=2 $SERVER $AS_SUDO $COMMANDS'
eval $SSH_COMMAND

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

assign subst|grep|sed command result to a variable

Hi, I'm quite new to scripting and I want to modify following line of an existing script: MYVAR=`subst |grep 'L:\\\:' | sed -e 's/.*\\\//'`; What I have to do is to use the content of a variable instead of the constant expression 'L:\\\:' as the grep string to be matched. Assuming I already... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: snowbiker99
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

assign awk command result to a variable

#!/bin/sh # ## MYSTRING = `awk '/myApp.app/' /Users/$USER/Library/Preferences/loginwindow.plist` if then echo String not found defaults write /Users/$USER/Library/Preferences/loginwindow AutoLaunchedApplicationDictionary -dict-add -string Hide -bool YES -string Path -string... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: dedmakar
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assign bash command to variable

Hi I am trying to write a function that needs to be able to assign the last run shell command to a variable. The actual command string itself not the exit code of the command. I am using the bash command recall ability to do this as follows: alias pb='ps | grep ash' ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Moxy
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to assign the result of a SQL command to more than one variable in shell script.

Hi Friends... Please assist me to assign the result of a SQL query that results two column, to two variables. Pls find the below code that I write for assigning one column to one variable. and please correct if anything wrong.. #! /bin/sh no=' sqlplus -s uname/password@DBname... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: little_wonder
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cut Command value assign to variable

Hi, I am new to UNIX Scripting. I have been trying to use the CUT command to retrieve part of the header from a file and assign it to a variable. I have tried searching a lot, but I am still unsuccessful. Sample Header: HJAN BALANCE 20090616 I need to retrieve the date here, which always... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ragz_82
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assign command (with pipe) output to a variable

Hi , I would like to assign command (with pipe) output to a variable. The code is as follows. The goal of the code is to get the last folder folder with a particular name pattern. myDate=`ls | grep 2009 | tail -1` echo "myDate=" $myDate However, in the presence of the pipe, the code... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeff_cen
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to assign command output to variable

Code set -x STATUS="0" echo $STATUS for i in `ls -ltr Report*|awk '{ print $9 }'` do if then flg = "`head -1 "$i" |cut -c 31-33`" echo `head -1 "$i" |cut -c 31-33` echo $flg if then echo "having Fun" STATUS="2" else echo "no Fun" fi fi (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Funkeydude
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assign the result of a multiline command to a variable

Hi, I have the following command that lists all the .o files from all the directories except of vwin (which I don't want it) for i in `ls -d */*.o|awk '$0 !~ "vwin"'`; do echo $i; done The result is something like that dir1/file1.o dir1/file2.o dir2/file3.o etc. So, I want to create a... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: scor6800
9 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Need to pass variable in a command and assign value to a variable

Hello All, Hope you're doing well ! I am trying below command to be passed in a shell script, header_date_14 is a variable and $1 is the name of a file I intend to pass as a command line argument, however command line argument is not being accepted. header_date_14=$(m_dump... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ektubbe
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How do I assign the output of a command to a variable within a loop in bash?

In the else of the main if condition . else set lnk = $(readlink -f <path> | cut -d '/' -f7) echo "$lnk" if ] When I run the above on command line , the execution seems to be fine and I get the desired output. But when I try to assign it to a variable within a loop... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: sankasu
12 Replies
SSH-ARGV0(1)                                                BSD General Commands Manual                                               SSH-ARGV0(1)

NAME
ssh-argv0 -- replaces the old ssh command-name as hostname handling SYNOPSIS
hostname | user@hostname [-l login_name] [command] hostname | user@hostname [-afgknqstvxACNTX1246] [-b bind_address] [-c cipher_spec] [-e escape_char] [-i identity_file] [-l login_name] [-m mac_spec] [-o option] [-p port] [-F configfile] [-L port:host:hostport] [-R port:host:hostport] [-D port] [command] DESCRIPTION
ssh-argv0 replaces the old ssh command-name as hostname handling. If you link to this script with a hostname then executing the link is equivalent to having executed ssh with that hostname as an argument. All other arguments are passed to ssh and will be processed normally. OPTIONS
See ssh(1). FILES
See ssh(1). AUTHORS
OpenSSH is a derivative of the original and free ssh 1.2.12 release by Tatu Ylonen. Aaron Campbell, Bob Beck, Markus Friedl, Niels Provos, Theo de Raadt and Dug Song removed many bugs, re-added newer features and created OpenSSH. Markus Friedl contributed the support for SSH protocol versions 1.5 and 2.0. Jonathan Amery wrote this ssh-argv0 script and the associated documentation. SEE ALSO
ssh(1) Debian Project September 7, 2001 Debian Project