Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Sorting the contents of a variable Post 303034987 by jgt on Friday 10th of May 2019 12:13:22 PM
Old 05-10-2019
Sorting the contents of a variable

i want to reduce the OPTIONS variable which is a list of email addresses to just the unique entries. The following works, but, i would like to accomplish it without using the temporary file (dest.txt)

Code:
$echo $OPTIONS                         
a b c A B D                                         
$cat clean                             
#!/usr/bin/bash                                     
n=$#                                                
i=1                                                 
cat /dev/null >/usr/spool/lp/temp/dest.txt          
while [ $i -le $n ]                                 
do                                                  
        c=$(echo $1 |tr "[:upper:]" "[:lower:]" )   
        echo $c>>/usr/spool/lp/temp/dest.txt        
        shift                                       
        let i=$i+1                                  
done                                                
sort -u </usr/spool/lp/temp/dest.txt                

$ OPTIONS1=$(./clean $OPTIONS)          
$ echo $OPTIONS1                        
a b c d                                             
$

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

adding contents of a variable to a command

hi all, i'm new to shell scripting, so i'm not sure how to work this. Is it possible to read in the contents of a variable and add it to a command? for example: ------------------------ #!/bin/sh set example = -dfr rm ${example} ------------------------ when i run the script, i want... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gammarays
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Save contents of a Variable

I want to save the contents of a variable to a file. How can that be achieved? I have tried with: echo $varname > textfile.txt but for some reason it does not print anything. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: carl_vieyra
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

unique sort contents of a variable

Hi , I have #echo $var1 #hdisk2 hdisk3 hdisk0 hdisk2 Now I need to remove duplicate entries from this . ie. after sorting it should only have hdisk2 hdisk3 hdisk0 . I can have these values in a array as well . I understand we can use sort -u to remove the duplicates in a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: praveenbvarrier
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Storing the contents of a file in a variable

There is a file named file.txt whose contents are: +-----------------------------------+-----------+ | Variable_name | Value | +-----------------------------------+-----------+ | Aborted_clients | 0 | | Aborted_connects | 25683... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to grep the contents of a variable..

Hello All, I've written a script to collect all audit logs files; now i want to see only the files from it which contains certain x tablenames. I've stored all the tablenames in a log file and using it through variable in a script (ex:below) $ more tablenames.log (this is just a samle... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: suri.tyson
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read contents of a file into variable :(

My file is in this format : username : student information : default shell : student ID Eg : joeb:Joe Bennett:/bin/csh:1234 jerryd:Jerry Daniels:/bin/csh:2345 deaverm: Deaver Michelle:/bin/bash:4356 joseyg:Josey Guerra:/bin/bash:8767 michaelh:Michael Hall:/bin/ksh:1547 I have to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dude_me5
1 Replies

7. Homework & Coursework Questions

How to read contents of a file into variable :(

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: I have to read the contents of each field of a file creating user accounts. The file will be of format : ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dude_me5
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Providing variable contents to awk

Hello, All. This is my first post here, and I expect that the answer is simple, but I can't find it. Might be the way I'm searching. I'm fairly new to Unix/Linux, and I'm writing a Korn Shell Script. I am trying to provide a value that is already in a variable to awk so that awk can pull out the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: compguy74
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Folder contents getting appended as strings while redirecting file contents to a variable

Hi one of the output of the command is as below # sed -n "/CCM-ResourceHealthCheck:/,/---------/{/CCM-ResourceHealthCheck:/d;/---------/d;p;}" Automation.OutputZ$zoneCounter | sed 's/$/<br>/' Resource List : <br> *************************** 1. row ***************************<br> ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Storing file contents to a variable

Hi All, I was trying a shell script. I was unable to store file contents to a variable in the script. I have tried the below but unable to do it. Input = `cat /path/op.diary` Input = $(<op.diary) I am using ksh shell. I want to store the 'op.diary' file contents to the variable 'Input'... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: am24
12 Replies
TMPFILE(3)								 1								TMPFILE(3)

tmpfile - Creates a temporary file

SYNOPSIS
resource tmpfile (void ) DESCRIPTION
Creates a temporary file with a unique name in read-write (w+) mode and returns a file handle . The file is automatically removed when closed (for example, by calling fclose(3), or when there are no remaining references to the file handle returned by tmpfile(3)), or when the script ends. For details, consult your system documentation on the tmpfile(3) function, as well as the stdio.h header file. RETURN VALUES
Returns a file handle, similar to the one returned by fopen(3), for the new file or FALSE on failure. EXAMPLES
Example #1 tmpfile(3) example <?php $temp = tmpfile(); fwrite($temp, "writing to tempfile"); fseek($temp, 0); echo fread($temp, 1024); fclose($temp); // this removes the file ?> The above example will output: writing to tempfile SEE ALSO
tempnam(3), sys_get_temp_dir(3). PHP Documentation Group TMPFILE(3)