Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Using sed to extract line of a file Post 303034898 by MadeInGermany on Thursday 9th of May 2019 04:56:25 AM
Old 05-09-2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by anbu23
Code:
$ awk -F'\n' ' $0 ~ /interface.*helper-address/ { print $1,$4, $5, $6, $7 } ' RS='!\n' OFS="\n" file

Interesting separator technique, but seems to only work with GNU awk.
And, of course, the positions and amounts of the "helper-address" lines may vary...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract a line from a file using the line number

I have a shell script and want to assign a value to a variable. The value is the line exctrated from a file using the line number. The line number it is not fix, and could change any time. I have tried sed, awk, head .. See my script # Get randome line number from the file #selectedline = `awk... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zambo
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract file extension using sed

Hi, how can i extract file extension using sed? for e.g., if a file name is abc.txt then how can i get "txt" (after .) Thanks praveen (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: r_praveenk
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract a line from a file using the line number

Hello, I am having trouble extracting a specific line from a file when the line number is known. My first attempt involved grep -n 'hi' (the word 'hi will always be there) to get the line number before the line that I actually want (line 4). Extra Notes: -I am working in a bash script. -The... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: grandtheftander
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using sed to extract a substring at end of line

This is the line that I am using: sed 's/^*\({3}*$\)/\1 /' <test.txt >results.txt and suppose that test.txt contains the following lines: http://www.example.com/200904/AUS.txt http://www.example.com/200903/_RUS.txt http://www.example.com/200902/.FRA.txt What I expected to see in results.txt... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

get the fifth line of a text file into a shell script and trim the line to extract a WORD

FOLKS , i have a text file that is generated automatically of an another korn shell script, i want to bring in the fifth line of the text file in to my korn shell script and look for a particular word in the line . Can you all share some thoughts on this one. thanks... Venu (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: venu
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract a number from a line in a file and sed in another copied file

Dear all, I am trying to extract a number from a line in one file (task 1), duplicate another file (task 2) and replace all instances of the strings 300, in duplicated with the extracted number (task 3). Here is what I have tried so far: for ((k=1;k<4;k++)); do temp=`sed -n "${k}p"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mnaqvi
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract a line from a file by line number

Hi guys, does anyone know how to extract(grep) a line from the file, if I know the line number? Thanks a lot. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: aoussenko
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

HELP: Shell Script to read a Log file line by line and extract Info based on KEYWORDS matching

I have a LOG file which looks like this Import started at: Mon Jul 23 02:13:01 EDT 2012 Initialization completed in 2.146 seconds. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -- Import summary for Import item: PolicyInformation... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: biztank
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed or awk, cut, to extract specific data from line

Hi guys, I have been trying to do this, but... no luck so maybe you can help me. I have a line like this: Total Handled, Received, on queue Input Mgs: 140 / 14 => 0 I need to, get the number after the / until the =, to get only 14 . Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks, (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ocramas
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl to extract information from a file line by line

In the below perl code I am using tags within each line to extract certain information. The tags that are used are: STB >0.8 is STRAND BIAS otherwise GOOD FDP is the second number GO towards the end of the line is read into an array and the value returned is outputed, in the first line that... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
1 Replies
tracker-extract(1)						   User Commands						tracker-extract(1)

NAME
tracker-extract - Extract metadata from a file. SYNOPSYS
tracker-extract [OPTION...] FILE... DESCRIPTION
tracker-extract reads the file and mimetype provided in stdin and extract the metadata from this file; then it displays the metadata on the standard output. NOTE: If a FILE is not provided then tracker-extract will run for 30 seconds waiting for DBus calls before quitting. OPTIONS
-?, --help Show summary of options. -v, --verbosity=N Set verbosity to N. This overrides the config value. Values include 0=errors, 1=minimal, 2=detailed and 3=debug. -f, --file=FILE The FILE to extract metadata from. The FILE argument can be either a local path or a URI. It also does not have to be an absolute path. -m, --mime=MIME The MIME type to use for the file. If one is not provided, it will be guessed automatically. -d, --disable-shutdown Disable shutting down after 30 seconds of inactivity. -i, --force-internal-extractors Use this option to force internal extractors over 3rd parties like libstreamanalyzer. -m, --force-module=MODULE Force a particular module to be used. This is here as a convenience for developers wanting to test their MODULE file. Only the MOD- ULE name has to be specified, not the full path. Typically, a MODULE is installed to /usr/lib/tracker-0.7/extract-modules/. This option can be used with or without the .so part of the name too, for example, you can use --force-module=foo Modules are shared objects which are dynamically loaded at run time. These files must have the .so suffix to be loaded and must con- tain the correct symbols to be authenticated by tracker-extract. For more information see the libtracker-extract reference documen- tation. -V, --version Show binary version. EXAMPLES
Using command line to extract metadata from a file: $ tracker-extract -v 3 -f /path/to/some/file.mp3 Using a specific module to extract metadata from a file: $ tracker-extract -v 3 -f /path/to/some/file.mp3 -m mymodule ENVIRONMENT
TRACKER_EXTRACTORS_DIR This is the directory which tracker uses to load the shared libraries from (used for extracting metadata for specific file types). These are needed on each invocation of tracker-store. If unset it will default to the correct place. This is used mainly for testing purposes. FILES
$HOME/.config/tracker/tracker-extract.cfg SEE ALSO
tracker-store(1), tracker-sparql(1), tracker-stats(1), tracker-info(1). tracker-extract.cfg(5). /usr/lib/tracker-0.7/extract-modules/ GNU
July 2007 tracker-extract(1)