Sponsored Content
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? UNIX.com is getting crushed in google search these days Post 303034842 by vbe on Wednesday 8th of May 2019 04:11:50 AM
Old 05-08-2019
So the way the title is formulated has an impact... hmmm
But asking a question, a suggestion or help in plain english doesn't mean to be verbose, you expect that in the body...

This may relaunch the debate on compiling some knowledge we have here, I tried to see what it can represent, and was frightened by the amount of time and the judgement effort it asks when you have many solutions... But not impossible, to not be drowned by the load it would ask a serious team work to share the tasks, and I believe the first thing to do is to create a list of Q , the most frequent ones and important that needs to be answered, then each of us take one Q and search the forum for the answers provided here...
The group effort again is to decide after in what form we deliver the lot
A fundamental question, links to good solutions, then adding variation the the themes? Do we vote for best solution and provide alternatives?
This will only make sense if we choose the correct Q/A which represent the most of beginners in UNIX world challenges, it might if we formulate correctly the title and make an effort in body content help unix.com gain lost popularity, maybe also diminish workload in replying again and again to the same questions...
This also make me wonder if replies like: Searching the forum you would have found this solution to you Q <link to unix.com solution> are being now penalised and so we are doomed to answer systematically which means the above effort for a helpful Q/A effort would be vain...
This User Gave Thanks to vbe For This Post:

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

A google search shellscript

This little doey allows you do fire up a google search right from your terminal. --------------------------------------------------- #!/bin/sh #(save me into the path as "google") clear && for i in "$@"; do lynx http://www.google.com/search?q="$@"; done ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: JoeTheGuy
3 Replies

2. Web Development

Google search appliance

Please let me know if Google search appliance supports JSON or XML interface? If yes please provide some references (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: uunniixx
3 Replies

3. What is on Your Mind?

Patching Google Search engine/application in Unix.

Hi Unix Gurus, In my Co. we have intranet site hosted on Unix box. In Explorer there is a text box for searching information on internet. By default it is using Google Custom Search. This search engine is little old one. Now I want to patch this search engine with latest patch. If any one know... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sriramis4u
0 Replies

4. What is on Your Mind?

Google Site Search in Search Drop Down Menu (Again)

Have just added (after missing for some time), the latest version of Google Site Search for our site in the Navbar Search Menu: https://www.unix.com/members/1-albums215-picture791.png Cheers and Enjoy. Here is the URL for that link in case you need it: https://goo.gl/P8p82c (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
4 Replies

5. What is on Your Mind?

Search Results for the UNIX keyword - Google, Bing, DuckDuckGo

Some search results for the keyword "unix" searches: DuckDuckGo #1 https://www.unix.com/members/1-albums215-picture1254.png Bing #2 https://www.unix.com/members/1-albums215-picture1253.png Google #15 (page 2) https://www.unix.com/members/1-albums215-picture1252.png (1 Reply)
1 Replies

6. What is on Your Mind?

YouTube: Search Engine Optimization | How To Fix Soft 404 Errors and A.I. Tales from Google Search

Getting a bit more comfortable making quick YT videos in 4K, here is: Search Engine Optimization | How To Fix Soft 404 Errors and A.I. Tales from Google Search Console https://youtu.be/I6b9T2qcqFo (0 Replies)
0 Replies
IONICE(1)							   User Commands							 IONICE(1)

NAME
ionice - set or get process I/O scheduling class and priority SYNOPSIS
ionice [-c class] [-n level] [-t] -p PID... ionice [-c class] [-n level] [-t] -P PGID... ionice [-c class] [-n level] [-t] -u UID... ionice [-c class] [-n level] [-t] command [argument...] DESCRIPTION
This program sets or gets the I/O scheduling class and priority for a program. If no arguments or just -p is given, ionice will query the current I/O scheduling class and priority for that process. When command is given, ionice will run this command with the given arguments. If no class is specified, then command will be executed with the "best-effort" scheduling class. The default priority level is 4. As of this writing, a process can be in one of three scheduling classes: Idle A program running with idle I/O priority will only get disk time when no other program has asked for disk I/O for a defined grace period. The impact of an idle I/O process on normal system activity should be zero. This scheduling class does not take a priority argument. Presently, this scheduling class is permitted for an ordinary user (since kernel 2.6.25). Best-effort This is the effective scheduling class for any process that has not asked for a specific I/O priority. This class takes a priority argument from 0-7, with a lower number being higher priority. Programs running at the same best-effort priority are served in a round-robin fashion. Note that before kernel 2.6.26 a process that has not asked for an I/O priority formally uses "none" as scheduling class, but the I/O scheduler will treat such processes as if it were in the best-effort class. The priority within the best-effort class will be dynamically derived from the CPU nice level of the process: io_priority = (cpu_nice + 20) / 5. For kernels after 2.6.26 with the CFQ I/O scheduler, a process that has not asked for an I/O priority inherits its CPU scheduling class. The I/O priority is derived from the CPU nice level of the process (same as before kernel 2.6.26). Realtime The RT scheduling class is given first access to the disk, regardless of what else is going on in the system. Thus the RT class needs to be used with some care, as it can starve other processes. As with the best-effort class, 8 priority levels are defined denoting how big a time slice a given process will receive on each scheduling window. This scheduling class is not permitted for an ordinary (i.e., non-root) user. OPTIONS
-c, --class class Specify the name or number of the scheduling class to use; 0 for none, 1 for realtime, 2 for best-effort, 3 for idle. -n, --classdata level Specify the scheduling class data. This only has an effect if the class accepts an argument. For realtime and best-effort, 0-7 are valid data (priority levels), and 0 represents the highest priority level. -p, --pid PID... Specify the process IDs of running processes for which to get or set the scheduling parameters. -P, --pgid PGID... Specify the process group IDs of running processes for which to get or set the scheduling parameters. -t, --ignore Ignore failure to set the requested priority. If command was specified, run it even in case it was not possible to set the desired scheduling priority, which can happen due to insufficient privileges or an old kernel version. -h, --help Display help text and exit. -u, --uid UID... Specify the user IDs of running processes for which to get or set the scheduling parameters. -V, --version Display version information and exit. EXAMPLES
# ionice -c 3 -p 89 Sets process with PID 89 as an idle I/O process. # ionice -c 2 -n 0 bash Runs 'bash' as a best-effort program with highest priority. # ionice -p 89 91 Prints the class and priority of the processes with PID 89 and 91. NOTES
Linux supports I/O scheduling priorities and classes since 2.6.13 with the CFQ I/O scheduler. AUTHORS
Jens Axboe <jens@axboe.dk> Karel Zak <kzak@redhat.com> SEE ALSO
ioprio_set(2) AVAILABILITY
The ionice command is part of the util-linux package and is available from https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. util-linux July 2011 IONICE(1)