Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Simple question about charecter count Post 303034774 by RudiC on Sunday 5th of May 2019 04:30:00 PM
Old 05-05-2019
That depends on how you present the values - in a file? in a variable? echoing a constant? Mayhap you just subtract one?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ok simple question for simple knowledge...

Ok what is BSD exactly? I know its a type of open source but what is it exactly? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Corrail
1 Replies

2. Programming

Simple C question... Hopefully it's simple

Hello. I'm a complete newbie to C programming. I have a C program that wasn't written by me where I need to write some wrappers around it to automate and make it easier for a client to use. The problem is that the program accepts standard input to control the program... I'm hoping to find a simple... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xeed
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comapring files charecter by charecter using AWK/Shell Script

Hi... I have a requrement to compare two files. for e.g. File 1 2007/08/19 09:48:10 DH-032 $APTA1: Device AATD8029 2007/08/19 09:48:10 DH-045 $APTA1: Device AATD8029 2007/08/19 09:48:10 DH-043 $APTA1: Device AATD8029 File 2 2007-08-19 09:48:10 DH-032... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: evvander
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

charecter or number

Hi Friends, How to check a variable value is either charecter or number? With Regards / Ganapati (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ganapati
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

simple count script outputting mass errors

script outputting cant find anything wrong with the script either... : #!/bin/sh #count execution script time=0 while do if then time=`expr $time + 1` if then echo "The current tick is 100" fi fi (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aspect_p
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

simple awk question to count columns

hi all here is a very simple question.. i want to count the number of columns using awk..my file looks like this: 1,2 1,2 1,2 1,2 1,2 1,2 1,2 1,2 i want to count number of columns and i so far i have: awk 'BEGIN {IFS=","} END {print NF}' data > data1 i am getting 1... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: npatwardhan
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple script to count files

Hello, I am new to shell scripting and I need your help. I have found similar scripts in the forum but I need further assistance. I am building a script to use hourly in cron to mailx me if the number of files in a path is less than e.g 100 I have started with the following: #!/bin/sh... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: drbiloukos
2 Replies

8. Red Hat

Syslog.conf: looking for a simple answer on a simple question

Cheers! In /etc/syslog.conf, if an error type is not specified, is it logged anywhere (most preferable is it logged to /var/log/messages) or not? To be more precise I am interested in error and critical level messages. At default these errors are not specified in syslog.conf, and I need to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dr1zzt3r
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove lines that exceed a certain charecter count?

I am trying to remove lines in a variable(nidlist) that exceed a certain charecter count(in this case 7). I am trying to incorparate the function that removes the lines that exceed 7 into this piece of code nidlist=$(print $nidlist |tr ';' '\n' | sort | uniq | tr '\n' ';') Thank... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajetangay
4 Replies

10. Programming

Simple C program to count word lengths

So my program is not working and I keep changing it to figure out why. So I have two questions, can I do tracing similar to bash, and also what is wrong with this. The idea is simple, I want to count "word" lengths, with the loose definition of word not being a space, tab, or newline. Here is... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Riker1204
11 Replies
echo(1B)					     SunOS/BSD Compatibility Package Commands						  echo(1B)

NAME
echo - echo arguments to standard output SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/echo [-n] [argument] DESCRIPTION
echo writes its arguments, separated by BLANKs and terminated by a NEWLINE, to the standard output. echo is useful for producing diagnostics in command files and for sending known data into a pipe, and for displaying the contents of envi- ronment variables. For example, you can use echo to determine how many subdirectories below the root directory (/) is your current directory, as follows: o echo your current-working-directory's full pathname o pipe the output through tr to translate the path's embedded slash-characters into space-characters o pipe that output through wc -w for a count of the names in your path. example% /usr/bin/echo "echo $PWD | tr '/' ' ' | wc -w" See tr(1) and wc(1) for their functionality. The shells csh(1), ksh(1), and sh(1), each have an echo built-in command, which, by default, will have precedence, and will be invoked if the user calls echo without a full pathname. /usr/ucb/echo and csh's echo() have an -n option, but do not understand back-slashed escape characters. sh's echo(), ksh's echo(), and /usr/bin/echo, on the other hand, understand the black-slashed escape characters, and ksh's echo() also understands a as the audible bell character; however, these commands do not have an -n option. OPTIONS
-n Do not add the NEWLINE to the output. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWscpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), echo(1), ksh(1), sh(1), tr(1), wc(1), attributes(5) NOTES
The -n option is a transition aid for BSD applications, and may not be supported in future releases. SunOS 5.10 3 Aug 1994 echo(1B)