Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: How to escape % with sed?
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers How to escape % with sed? Post 303034727 by RudiC on Friday 3rd of May 2019 09:43:47 AM
Old 05-03-2019
The dot is a special character in regexes, a wildcard. man regex:
Quote:
An atom is a regular expression enclosed in "()" (matching a match for the regular expression), an empty set of "()" (matching the null string)(!), a bracket expression
(see below), '.' (matching any single character), '^' (matching the null string at the beginning of a line), '$' (matching the null string at the end of a line), a '\'
followed by one of the characters "^.[$()|*+?{\" (matching that character taken as an ordinary character), a '\' followed by any other character(!) (matching that
character taken as an ordinary character, as if the '\' had not been present(!)), or a single character with no other significance (matching that character). A '{'
followed by a character other than a digit is an ordinary character, not the beginning of a bound(!). It is illegal to end an RE with '\'.
It also matches dots like in your example 2, but would also work on -txt-doc. To explicitly match a dot in the text, it has to be escaped innregexes to suppress its special meaning.
This User Gave Thanks to RudiC For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

possible to escape the \ character in sed?

is it possible to escape the \ character in sed? right now I'm trying to replace all occurances of \ with \\ sed \"s|test|test_replacement|g\" file1 > output; #this works fine sed \"s|\\|\\\|g\" file1 > output; #this generates the following error: sed: -e expression #1, char 17:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gammaman
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed escape char

Hi, For the following complex code , <!-- ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fed.linuxgossip
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Escape character - sed

Hi All, How do i write in sed for the 6th and 7th field of etc/passwd file as it involves "/" character? Does mine below is correct? It's incomplete script as i need help with syntax as i always getting may errors :( Example of etc/passwd file: blah:x:1055:600:blah... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: c00kie88
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED: Replacing $1 with $2 escape problem

Hi all, I have a script which uses sed to replace one string with another. The problem is, the string to be matched, and its replacement are coming in as two command line arguments $1 and $2 $1 and $2 can be absolutely anything, but both should be treated purely as strings. My sed command... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mark007
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Escape character in sed

Hello experts I am trying to write a shell script which will add ' ' to a unix variable and then pass it to oracle for inserting to a table. I am running the script as root and I have to do a su -c . The problem is the character ' is not recognised inside sed even after adding escape... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pvedaa
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with sed to escape special characters

Hello Everyone, I need to read an encrypted password from the user and update that value in an xml file. I am trying to use "sed" for searching the appropriate tag and replacing this new value that get from the user. Since the encrypted password can contain special characters(like /,\,&,etc),... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: majose
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Escape special characters in SED

Need help in escaping special characters in sed command. Here is the the string which i am trying to find a replace with From :- REQUEST_TYPE=PIXEL&amp;MSG_ID={//MESSAGE_ID} To :- REQUEST_TYPE=PIXEL&amp;MSG_ID= X_EDELIVERY_MESSAGE_ID &amp; BATCH_ID= X_EDELIVERY_BATCH_ID Here is the sed command i am... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aakishore
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - with escape character

i have string as below str=".<date>" in which i need to replace < with /< , when i tried with sed , got the output. --> echo $str | sed 's/</\\</g' .\<date> when i tried to assign it to a variable , i am not getting the same --> a=`echo $str | sed 's/</\\</g'` ; echo $a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: expert
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ignore escape sequence in sed

Friends, In the file i am having more then 100 lines like, File1 had the values like this: #Example East.server_01=EAST.SERVER_01 East.server_01=EAST.SERVER_01 West.server_01=WEST.SERVER_01 File2 had the values like this: #Example EAST.SERVER_01=http://yahoo.com... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jothi basu
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl/sed Escape Syntax Problem . . .

Greetings! I've run into this before; and am having a spot of trouble trying to figure out the way that Perl would prefer the following example syntax to be formed:#!/usr/bin/perl use strict; use warnings; use diagnostics; `sed -i 's/Hi Mom!\|Hi Dad!/Bye Everyone!/I' ./test.txt`;Perl... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: LinQ
5 Replies
NWBPSET(1)							      nwbpset								NWBPSET(1)

NAME
nwbpset - Create a bindery property or set its value SYNOPSIS
nwbpset [ -h ] [ -S server ] [ -U user name ] [ -P password | -n ] [ -C ] DESCRIPTION
nwbpset Reads a property specification from the standard input and creates and sets the corresponding property. The format is determined by the output of 'nwbpvalues -c'. nwbpset will hopefully become an important part of the bindery management suite of ncpfs, together with As another example, look at the following command line: nwbpvalues -t 1 -o supervisor -p user_defaults -c | sed '2s/.*/ME/'| sed '3s/.*/LOGIN_CONTROL/'| nwbpset With this command, the property user_defaults of the user object 'supervisor' is copied into the property login_control of the user object 'me'. nwbpvalues -t 1 -o me -p login_control -c | sed '9s/.*/ff/'| nwbpset This command disables the user object me. Feel free to contribute other examples! nwbpset looks up the file $HOME/.nwclient to find a file server, a user name and possibly a password. See nwclient(5) for more information. Please note that the access permissions of $HOME/.nwclient MUST be 600 for security reasons. OPTIONS
-h -h is used to print out a short help text. -S server server is the name of the server you want to use. -U user user is the user name to use for login. -P password password is the password to use for login. If neither -n nor -P are given, and the user has no open connection to the server, nwbpset prompts for a password. -n -n should be given if no password is required for the login. -C By default, passwords are converted to uppercase before they are sent to the server, because most servers require this. You can turn off this conversion by -C. AUTHORS
nwbpset was written by Volker Lendecke. See the Changes file of ncpfs for other contributors. nwbpset 8/7/1996 NWBPSET(1)