Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: How to escape % with sed?
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers How to escape % with sed? Post 303034726 by baris35 on Friday 3rd of May 2019 09:15:20 AM
Old 05-03-2019
Hello Again,
I am accustomed to run sed without escaping the dot. I had not encountered any issue earlier.
Your solution works but could you please explain what is the difference between replacement of . by % and standard replacement as shown in given below example? Why do we escape dot ?

File1: (replacement of dot by percentage)
Code:
My.Name.Is.Earl

Working Solution:
Code:
sed 's/\./%/g'  File1

File2: (removal of .txt.doc extension)
Code:
Test1.test2.txt.doc

Expected:
Code:
Test1.test2

Solution:
Code:
sed -i "s|.txt.doc||g" File2

I have not escaped dot in example two.
Also works when we use rename command; without escaping dot, able to rename the file..

Thank you
Boris

Last edited by baris35; 05-03-2019 at 10:20 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

possible to escape the \ character in sed?

is it possible to escape the \ character in sed? right now I'm trying to replace all occurances of \ with \\ sed \"s|test|test_replacement|g\" file1 > output; #this works fine sed \"s|\\|\\\|g\" file1 > output; #this generates the following error: sed: -e expression #1, char 17:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gammaman
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed escape char

Hi, For the following complex code , <!-- ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fed.linuxgossip
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Escape character - sed

Hi All, How do i write in sed for the 6th and 7th field of etc/passwd file as it involves "/" character? Does mine below is correct? It's incomplete script as i need help with syntax as i always getting may errors :( Example of etc/passwd file: blah:x:1055:600:blah... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: c00kie88
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED: Replacing $1 with $2 escape problem

Hi all, I have a script which uses sed to replace one string with another. The problem is, the string to be matched, and its replacement are coming in as two command line arguments $1 and $2 $1 and $2 can be absolutely anything, but both should be treated purely as strings. My sed command... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mark007
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Escape character in sed

Hello experts I am trying to write a shell script which will add ' ' to a unix variable and then pass it to oracle for inserting to a table. I am running the script as root and I have to do a su -c . The problem is the character ' is not recognised inside sed even after adding escape... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pvedaa
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with sed to escape special characters

Hello Everyone, I need to read an encrypted password from the user and update that value in an xml file. I am trying to use "sed" for searching the appropriate tag and replacing this new value that get from the user. Since the encrypted password can contain special characters(like /,\,&,etc),... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: majose
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Escape special characters in SED

Need help in escaping special characters in sed command. Here is the the string which i am trying to find a replace with From :- REQUEST_TYPE=PIXEL&amp;MSG_ID={//MESSAGE_ID} To :- REQUEST_TYPE=PIXEL&amp;MSG_ID= X_EDELIVERY_MESSAGE_ID &amp; BATCH_ID= X_EDELIVERY_BATCH_ID Here is the sed command i am... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aakishore
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - with escape character

i have string as below str=".<date>" in which i need to replace < with /< , when i tried with sed , got the output. --> echo $str | sed 's/</\\</g' .\<date> when i tried to assign it to a variable , i am not getting the same --> a=`echo $str | sed 's/</\\</g'` ; echo $a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: expert
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ignore escape sequence in sed

Friends, In the file i am having more then 100 lines like, File1 had the values like this: #Example East.server_01=EAST.SERVER_01 East.server_01=EAST.SERVER_01 West.server_01=WEST.SERVER_01 File2 had the values like this: #Example EAST.SERVER_01=http://yahoo.com... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jothi basu
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl/sed Escape Syntax Problem . . .

Greetings! I've run into this before; and am having a spot of trouble trying to figure out the way that Perl would prefer the following example syntax to be formed:#!/usr/bin/perl use strict; use warnings; use diagnostics; `sed -i 's/Hi Mom!\|Hi Dad!/Bye Everyone!/I' ./test.txt`;Perl... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: LinQ
5 Replies
IRSEND(1)							   User Commands							 IRSEND(1)

NAME
irsend - basic LIRC program to send infra-red commands SYNOPSIS
irsend [options] DIRECTIVE REMOTE CODE [CODE...] DESCRIPTION
Asks the lircd daemon to send one or more CIR (Consumer Infra-Red) commands. This is intended for remote control of electronic devices such as TV boxes, HiFi sets, etc. DIRECTIVE can be: SEND_ONCE - send CODE [CODE ...] once SEND_START - start repeating CODE SEND_STOP - stop repeating CODE LIST - list configured remote items SET_TRANSMITTERS - set transmitters NUM [NUM ...] SIMULATE - simulate IR event REMOTE is the name of a remote, as described in the lircd configuration file. CODE is the name of a remote control key of REMOTE, as it appears in the lircd configuration file. NUM is the transmitter number of the hardware device. For the LIST DIRECTIVE, REMOTE and/or CODE can be empty: LIST "" "" - list all configured remote names LIST REMOTE "" - list all codes of REMOTE LIST REMOTE CODE - list only CODE of REMOTE The SIMULATE command only works if it has been explicitly enabled in lircd. -h --help display usage summary -v --version display version -d --device use given lircd socket [/var/run/lirc/lircd] -a --address=host[:port] connect to lircd at this address -# --count=n send command n times EXAMPLES
irsend LIST DenonTuner "" irsend SEND_ONCE DenonTuner PROG-SCAN irsend SEND_ONCE OnkyoAmpli VOL-UP VOL-UP VOL-UP VOL-UP irsend SEND_START OnkyoAmpli VOL-DOWN ; sleep 3 irsend SEND_STOP OnkyoAmpli VOL-DOWN irsend SET_TRANSMITTERS 1 irsend SET_TRANSMITTERS 1 3 4 irsend SIMULATE "0000000000000476 00 OK TECHNISAT_ST3004S" FILES
/etc/lirc/lircd.conf Default lircd configuration file. It should contain all the remotes, their infra-red codes and the corresponding timing and wave- form details. DIAGNOSTICS
If lircd is not running (or /var/run/lirc/lircd lacks write permissions) irsend aborts with the following diagnostics: "irsend: could not connect to socket" "irsend: Connection refused" (or "Permission denied"). SEE ALSO
The documentation for lirc is maintained as html pages. They are located under html/ in the documentation directory. lircd(8), mode2(1), smode2(1), xmode2(1), irrecord(1), irw(1), http://www.lirc.org. irsend 0.9.0-pre1 October 2010 IRSEND(1)