Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers How to put a 80 character limit on a long topic line in markdown? Post 303034725 by Neo on Friday 3rd of May 2019 09:14:45 AM
Old 05-03-2019
Also, from the GitLabs Markdown page:

Newlines

If this is not rendered correctly

see
Code:
https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/gitlab-ce/blob/master/doc/user/markdown.md#newlines

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Number of long limit

Hi Hi! I'm currently using AIX 5.2 and would like to know where can i find to see that there's a restriction on the number of login times a user can have. Example, I want give a 2 login per user but some one to give 3 login and some one have to give unlit login time (without logging off the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: herath
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to put limit on a file size?

Hi All, I want to insert xyz.log file in CLOB field of Oracle DB. The log file increases its size dynamically. When i am inserting the file into DB i have to check the size of the file, if its size is more than 32KB then insert upto that size into CLOB field of DB. Otherwise proceed normally. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajeshorpu
1 Replies

3. Solaris

Line too long error Replace string with new line line character

I get a file which has all its content in a single row. The file contains xml data containing 3000 records, but all in a single row, making it difficult for Unix to Process the file. I decided to insert a new line character at all occurrences of a particular string in this file (say replacing... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ducati
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ignore the 255 character limit of command line

Hi I would just like to ask if there is a way for UNIX to ignore/overcome the 255 character limit of the command line? My problem is that I have a really long line of text from a file (300+ bytes) which i have to "echo" and process by adding commands like "sed" to the end of the line, like... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: agentgrecko
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Put a character before each line

i have few lines: 3 4 5 6 #72 9 9 9 4 5 67 8 9 #4 6 8 92 1i want to put '#' before each line. i used this awk '{print "#" $0;}it gave #3 4 5 6 ##72 9 9 9 #4 5 67 8 9 ##4 6 8 92 1but i want the output like this: #3 4 5 6 #72 9 9 9 #4 5 67 8 9 #4 6 8 92 1I want to avoid the character... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: arindam guha
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printf or any other method to put long string of spec characters - passing passwords

Hello, I am looking for a method to use in my bash script which allows me to use long strings with all special characters. I have found that printf method could be helpful for me but unfortunately, when I trying root@machine:~# tevar=`printf "%s%c"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: elxa1
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Limit on number of pipes after long-running command?

I'm trying to create a minimal, crude keylogger for X using only a shell script. I was quickly stumped: Why do these two commands entered in a terminal emulator produce output when I type... $ xinput test 6 | grep press $ xinput test 6 | awk '{print $3}' ...but this command produces no... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: DevuanFan
13 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk command input string too long, limit

cat filename| awk '{ $1=""; print $0}' in my file there are few lines that has more than 3000 characters per line and as soon as I run the above command it cores, strings core reveals that the awk is failing because input string too long, limit. can i get some help from the experts to find... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: knijjar
8 Replies
RONN-FORMAT(7)							    Ronn Manual 						    RONN-FORMAT(7)

NAME
ronn-format - manual authoring format based on Markdown SYNOPSIS
name(1) -- short, single-sentence description ============================================= ## SYNOPSIS `name` [<optional>...] <flags> ## DESCRIPTION A normal paragraph. This can span multiple lines and is terminated with two or more line endings -- just like Markdown. Inline markup for `code`, `user input`, and **strong** are displayed boldface; <variable>, _emphasis_, *emphasis*, are displayed in italics (HTML) or underline (roff). Manual references like sh(1), markdown(7), roff(7), etc. are hyperlinked in HTML output. Link to sections like [STANDARDS][], [SEE ALSO][], or [WITH A DIFFERENT LINK TEXT][#SEE-ALSO]. Definition lists: * `-a`, `--argument`=[<value>]: One or more paragraphs describing the argument. * You can put whatever you *want* here, really: Nesting and paragraph spacing are respected. Frequently used sections: ## OPTIONS ## SYNTAX ## ENVIRONMENT ## RETURN VALUES ## STANDARDS ## SECURITY CONSIDERATIONS ## BUGS ## HISTORY ## AUTHOR ## COPYRIGHT ## SEE ALSO DESCRIPTION
The ronn(1) command converts text in a simple markup to UNIX manual pages. The syntax includes all Markdown formatting features, plus con- ventions for expressing the structure and various notations present in standard UNIX manpages. Not all roff(7) typesetting features can be expressed using ronn syntax. MANPAGE TITLE
Manpages have a name, section, and a one-line description. Files must start with a level one heading defining these attributes: ls(1) -- list directory contents ================================ Indicates that the manpage is named ls in manual section 1 ( SECTION HEADINGS
Man section headings are expressed with markdown level two headings. There are two syntaxes for level two headings. Hash prefix syntax: ## HEADING TEXT Dash underline syntax: HEADING TEXT ------------ Section headings should be all uppercase and may not contain inline markup. INLINE MARKUP
Manpages have a limited set of text formatting capabilities. There's basically boldface and italics (often displayed using underline). Ronn uses the following bits of markdown(7) to accomplish this: `backticks` (markdown compatible) Code, flags, commands, and noun-like things; typically displayed in in boldface. All text included within backticks is displayed literally; other inline markup is not processed. HTML output: <code>. **double-stars** (markdown compatible) Also displayed in boldface. Unlike backticks, inline markup is processed. HTML output: <strong>. <anglequotes> (non-compatible markdown extension) User-specified arguments, variables, or user input. Typically displayed with underline in roff output. HTML output: <var/>. _underbars_ (markdown compatible) Emphasis. May be used for literal option values. Typically displayed with underline in roff output. HTML output: <em>. Here is grep(1)'s DESCRIPTION section represented in ronn: `Grep` searches the named input <FILE> (or standard input if no files are named, or the file name `-` is given) for lines containing a match to the given <PATTERN>. By default, `grep` prints the matching lines. DEFINITION LISTS
The definition list syntax is compatible with markdown's unordered list syntax but requires that the first line of each list item be termi- nated with a colon An example definition list, taken from BSD test(1)'s DESCRIPTION section: The following primaries are used to construct expressions: * `-b` <file>: True if <file> exists and is a block special file. * `-c` <file>: True if _file_ exists and is a character special file. * `-d` <file>: True if file exists and is a directory. LINKS
All markdown(7) linking features are supported. Markdown reference-style links can be used to link to specific sections by name: ## SECTION 1 See the following section. ## SECTION 2 See [SECTION 1][] or [to put it another way][SECTION 1]. The anchor name would be #SECTION-1 and #SECTION-2. All non-word characters are removed and spaces are replaced by dashes. SEE ALSO
ronn(1), markdown(7), roff(7) Ronn 0.7.0 June 2010 RONN-FORMAT(7)