Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: How to escape % with sed?
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers How to escape % with sed? Post 303034702 by baris35 on Thursday 2nd of May 2019 11:57:27 PM
Old 05-03-2019
How to escape % with sed?

Hello,
I am running ubuntu 16.04
I searched "how to replace dot by % using sed" but no luck.

file
Code:
My.Name.Is.Earl

Expected output
Code:
My%Name%Is%Earl

I tried:
Code:
sed -i "s|.|[%]|g" file

Code:
sed -i "s|.|{%}|g" file

Code:
sed -i "s|.|\%|g" file

I'd appreciate your help

Thank you
Boris

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

possible to escape the \ character in sed?

is it possible to escape the \ character in sed? right now I'm trying to replace all occurances of \ with \\ sed \"s|test|test_replacement|g\" file1 > output; #this works fine sed \"s|\\|\\\|g\" file1 > output; #this generates the following error: sed: -e expression #1, char 17:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gammaman
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed escape char

Hi, For the following complex code , <!-- ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fed.linuxgossip
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Escape character - sed

Hi All, How do i write in sed for the 6th and 7th field of etc/passwd file as it involves "/" character? Does mine below is correct? It's incomplete script as i need help with syntax as i always getting may errors :( Example of etc/passwd file: blah:x:1055:600:blah... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: c00kie88
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED: Replacing $1 with $2 escape problem

Hi all, I have a script which uses sed to replace one string with another. The problem is, the string to be matched, and its replacement are coming in as two command line arguments $1 and $2 $1 and $2 can be absolutely anything, but both should be treated purely as strings. My sed command... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mark007
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Escape character in sed

Hello experts I am trying to write a shell script which will add ' ' to a unix variable and then pass it to oracle for inserting to a table. I am running the script as root and I have to do a su -c . The problem is the character ' is not recognised inside sed even after adding escape... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pvedaa
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with sed to escape special characters

Hello Everyone, I need to read an encrypted password from the user and update that value in an xml file. I am trying to use "sed" for searching the appropriate tag and replacing this new value that get from the user. Since the encrypted password can contain special characters(like /,\,&,etc),... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: majose
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Escape special characters in SED

Need help in escaping special characters in sed command. Here is the the string which i am trying to find a replace with From :- REQUEST_TYPE=PIXEL&amp;MSG_ID={//MESSAGE_ID} To :- REQUEST_TYPE=PIXEL&amp;MSG_ID= X_EDELIVERY_MESSAGE_ID &amp; BATCH_ID= X_EDELIVERY_BATCH_ID Here is the sed command i am... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aakishore
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - with escape character

i have string as below str=".<date>" in which i need to replace < with /< , when i tried with sed , got the output. --> echo $str | sed 's/</\\</g' .\<date> when i tried to assign it to a variable , i am not getting the same --> a=`echo $str | sed 's/</\\</g'` ; echo $a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: expert
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ignore escape sequence in sed

Friends, In the file i am having more then 100 lines like, File1 had the values like this: #Example East.server_01=EAST.SERVER_01 East.server_01=EAST.SERVER_01 West.server_01=WEST.SERVER_01 File2 had the values like this: #Example EAST.SERVER_01=http://yahoo.com... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jothi basu
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl/sed Escape Syntax Problem . . .

Greetings! I've run into this before; and am having a spot of trouble trying to figure out the way that Perl would prefer the following example syntax to be formed:#!/usr/bin/perl use strict; use warnings; use diagnostics; `sed -i 's/Hi Mom!\|Hi Dad!/Bye Everyone!/I' ./test.txt`;Perl... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: LinQ
5 Replies
SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)					      GNU Portable Shell Tool					       SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)

NAME
shtool-subst - GNU shtool sed(1) substitution operations SYNOPSIS
shtool subst [-v|--verbose] [-t|--trace] [-n|--nop] [-w|--warning] [-q|--quiet] [-s|--stealth] [-i|--interactive] [-b|--backup ext] [-e|--exec cmd] [-f|--file cmd-file] [file] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
This command applies one or more sed(1) substitution operations to stdin or any number of files. OPTIONS
The following command line options are available. -v, --verbose Display some processing information. -t, --trace Enable the output of the essential shell commands which are executed. -n, --nop No operation mode. Actual execution of the essential shell commands which would be executed is suppressed. -w, --warning Show warning on substitution operation resulting in no content change on every file. The default is to show a warning on substitution operations resulted in no content change on all files. -q, --quiet Suppress warning on substitution operation resulting in no content change. -s, --stealth Stealth operation. Preserve timestamp on file. -i, --interactive Enter interactive mode where the user has to approve each operation. -b, --backup ext Preserve backup of original file using file name extension ext. Default is to overwrite the original file. -e, --exec cmd Specify sed(1) command directly. -f, --file cmd-file Read sed(1) command from file. EXAMPLE
# shell script shtool subst -i -e 's;(c) ([0-9]*)-2000;(c) 1-2001;' *.[ch] # RPM spec-file %install shtool subst -v -n -e 's;^(prefix=).*;1 $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_prefix};g' -e 's;^(sysconfdir=).*;1 $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_prefix}/etc;g' `find . -name Makefile -print` make install HISTORY
The GNU shtool subst command was originally written by Ralf S. Engelschall <rse@engelschall.com> in 2001 for GNU shtool. It was prompted by the need to have a uniform and convenient patching frontend to sed(1) operations in the OpenPKG package specifications. SEE ALSO
shtool(1), sed(1). 18-Jul-2008 shtool 2.0.8 SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)