Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers How to align/sort the column pairs of an csv file, based on keyword word specified in another file? Post 303034651 by Don Cragun on Thursday 2nd of May 2019 12:33:07 AM
Old 05-02-2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by dineshkumarsrk
Sorry Rudic,
When I tried your code, it gives output like this
Code:
xop_thy     80     avr_njk     50     str_nyu     60								
avr_irt     70     str_nhj     60     avr_ngt     50								
str_tgt     80     xop_nmg     50     xop_nth     40								
cyv_gty     40     cop_thl     40     vir_tyk     80								
vir_plo     20     vir_thk     40     ijk_yuc     70								
cop_thy     70     ijk_yuc     80     irt_hgt     80

That is not surprising. In post #1 in this thread you said you had CSV input files and used an example that used <tab> characters as the character that separates values. The code RudiC provided explicitly specified the <tab> character as the field separator.

In this post, however, there are no <tab> characters; only sequences of <space>s. And, since the number of spaces between fields is not a constant, we can't say that your field separator is a sequence of 8 <space>s or of 9 <space>s.

If you don't accurately describe your input file format, it is hard to guess at what might work with whatever random data format you decide to use when you run code that was designed to use the input format you originally specified.
These 2 Users Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sorting csv file based on column selected

Hi all, in my csv file it'll look like this, and of course it may have more columns US to UK;abc-hq-jcl;multimedia UK to CN;def-ny-jkl;standard DE to DM;abc-ab-klm;critical FD to YM;la-yr-tym;standard HY to MC;la-yr-ytm;multimedia GT to KJ;def-ny-jrt;critical I would like to group... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tententen
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort file based on column

Hi, My input file is $cat samp 1 siva 1 raja 2 siva 1 siva 2 raja 4 venkat i want sort this name wise...alos need to remove duplicate lines. i am using cat samp|awk '{print $2,$1}'|sort -u it showing raja 1 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rsivasan
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pick the column value based on another column from .csv file

My scenario is that I need to pick value from third column based on fourth column value, if fourth column value is 1 then first value of third column.Third column (2|3|4|6|1) values are cancatenated. Main imp point, in my .csv file, third column is having price value with comma (1,20,300), it has... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ganesh L
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sort csv file by duplicated column value

hello, I have a large file (about 1gb) that is in a file similar to the following: I want to make it so that I can put all the duplicates where column 3 (delimited by the commas) are shown on top. Meaning all people with the same age are listed at the top. The command I used was ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jl487
3 Replies

5. Linux

Filter a .CSV file based on the 5th column values

I have a .CSV file with the below format: "column 1","column 2","column 3","column 4","column 5","column 6","column 7","column 8","column 9","column 10 "12310","42324564756","a simple string with a , comma","string with or, without commas","string 1","USD","12","70%","08/01/2013",""... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhruuv369
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Fetching values in CSV file based on column name

input.csv: Field1,Field2,Field3,Field4,Field4 abc ,123 ,xyz ,000 ,pqr mno ,123 ,dfr ,111 ,bbb output: Field2,Field4 123 ,000 123 ,111 how to fetch the values of Field4 where Field2='123' I don't want to fetch the values based on column position. Instead want to... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: bharathbangalor
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get maximum per column from CSV file, based on date column

Hello everyone, I am using ksh on Solaris 10 and I'm gathering data in a CSV file that looks like this: 20170628-23:25:01,1,0,0,1,1,1,1,55,55,1 20170628-23:30:01,1,0,0,1,1,1,1,56,56,1 20170628-23:35:00,1,0,0,1,1,2,1,57,57,2 20170628-23:40:00,1,0,0,1,1,1,1,58,58,2... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ejianu
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Filtering records of a csv file based on a value of a column

Hi, I tried filtering the records in a csv file using "awk" command listed below. awk -F"~" '$4 ~ /Active/{print }' inputfile > outputfile The output always has all the entries. The same command worked for different users from one of the forum links. content of file I was... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunilmudikonda
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to sort a column in excel/csv file?

I have to sort the 4th column of an excel/csv file. I tried the following command sort -u --field-separator=, --numeric-sort -k 2 -n dinesh.csv > test.csv But, it's not working. Moreover, I have to do the same for more than 30 excel/csv file. So please help me to do the same. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dineshkumarsrk
6 Replies
SCANF(3S)																 SCANF(3S)

NAME
scanf, fscanf, sscanf - formatted input conversion SYNOPSIS
#include <stdio.h> scanf(format [ , pointer ] . . . ) char *format; fscanf(stream, format [ , pointer ] . . . ) FILE *stream; char *format; sscanf(s, format [ , pointer ] . . . ) char *s, *format; DESCRIPTION
Scanf reads from the standard input stream stdin. Fscanf reads from the named input stream. Sscanf reads from the character string s. Each function reads characters, interprets them according to a format, and stores the results in its arguments. Each expects as arguments a control string format, described below, and a set of pointer arguments indicating where the converted input should be stored. The control string usually contains conversion specifications, which are used to direct interpretation of input sequences. The control string may contain: 1. Blanks, tabs or newlines, which match optional white space in the input. 2. An ordinary character (not %) which must match the next character of the input stream. 3. Conversion specifications, consisting of the character %, an optional assignment suppressing character *, an optional numerical maximum field width, and a conversion character. A conversion specification directs the conversion of the next input field; the result is placed in the variable pointed to by the corre- sponding argument, unless assignment suppression was indicated by *. An input field is defined as a string of non-space characters; it extends to the next inappropriate character or until the field width, if specified, is exhausted. The conversion character indicates the interpretation of the input field; the corresponding pointer argument must usually be of a restricted type. The following conversion characters are legal: % a single `%' is expected in the input at this point; no assignment is done. d a decimal integer is expected; the corresponding argument should be an integer pointer. o an octal integer is expected; the corresponding argument should be a integer pointer. x a hexadecimal integer is expected; the corresponding argument should be an integer pointer. s a character string is expected; the corresponding argument should be a character pointer pointing to an array of characters large enough to accept the string and a terminating `', which will be added. The input field is terminated by a space character or a new- line. c a character is expected; the corresponding argument should be a character pointer. The normal skip over space characters is suppressed in this case; to read the next non-space character, try `%1s'. If a field width is given, the corresponding argument should refer to a character array, and the indicated number of characters is read. e a floating point number is expected; the next field is converted accordingly and stored through the corresponding argument, which f should be a pointer to a float. The input format for floating point numbers is an optionally signed string of digits possibly contain- ing a decimal point, followed by an optional exponent field consisting of an E or e followed by an optionally signed integer. [ indicates a string not to be delimited by space characters. The left bracket is followed by a set of characters and a right bracket; the characters between the brackets define a set of characters making up the string. If the first character is not circumflex (^), the input field is all characters until the first character not in the set between the brackets; if the first character after the left bracket is ^, the input field is all characters until the first character which is in the remaining set of characters between the brackets. The corresponding argument must point to a character array. The conversion characters d, o and x may be capitalized or preceded by l to indicate that a pointer to long rather than to int is in the argument list. Similarly, the conversion characters e or f may be capitalized or preceded by l to indicate a pointer to double rather than to float. The conversion characters d, o and x may be preceded by h to indicate a pointer to short rather than to int. The scanf functions return the number of successfully matched and assigned input items. This can be used to decide how many input items were found. The constant EOF is returned upon end of input; note that this is different from 0, which means that no conversion was done; if conversion was intended, it was frustrated by an inappropriate character in the input. For example, the call int i; float x; char name[50]; scanf("%d%f%s", &i, &x, name); with the input line 25 54.32E-1 thompson will assign to i the value 25, x the value 5.432, and name will contain `thompson'. Or, int i; float x; char name[50]; scanf("%2d%f%*d%[1234567890]", &i, &x, name); with input 56789 0123 56a72 will assign 56 to i, 789.0 to x, skip `0123', and place the string `56' in name. The next call to getchar will return `a'. SEE ALSO
atof(3), getc(3S), printf(3S) DIAGNOSTICS
The scanf functions return EOF on end of input, and a short count for missing or illegal data items. BUGS
The success of literal matches and suppressed assignments is not directly determinable. 7th Edition May 15, 1985 SCANF(3S)